Bright, clean, twangy amp?

Georg

Hi Ax8 lovers!

Any tips on a amp model in AX8 that give a bright, clean, twangy sound?
I could try them all but there are just soo many so I figured I should check with the pro's. :)

And follow-up question, which cab brings the sound in the same direction?

Regards
Georg

Funny thing, I was going to say the same thing after spending the last 30 minutes with those amps (after reading your post!).

Maz with any Alnico blue cabs. About to play that setup with my Suhr Tele for a wedding in a few minutes.

Do you guys get your low gain from this amp by pushing the amp model or by placing a pedal in front of it ? My current band are very keen on the low gain sound at present and am looking for a good one to use. My current setting are Matchless D30 (I think it was). It is working but not 100% hitting the spot yet.

If you want a little grit and hair to your twang, another great option is the 5F8 with its matching factory cab or something from the OH DLXVRB 112 pack.

Do you guys get your low gain from this amp by pushing the amp model or by placing a pedal in front of it ? My current band are very keen on the low gain sound at present and am looking for a good one to use. My current setting are Matchless D30 (I think it was). It is working but not 100% hitting the spot yet.
I tried both when playing with it yesterday... FAS Boost worked nicely!

As Yek mentioned in his write-up, the ratio of Input Drive to Master Volume is important.

For low gain (edge of breakup) tones, there are a ton of options in the Axe Fx. Try the AC20 models, Buttery, Roamer, Nuclear Tone, A30 Clean... The lost goes on, but those are some of my favorites. The top 2 or 3 tend to alternate as FW changes,

And follow-up question, which cab brings the sound in the same direction?

I'm a big fan of the F015 1x12 Brit Blue (RW) IR with a Mr Z Mz-38 amp for some edgy twangy Stratocaster fun. And the SDD Preamp to juice it all when you want to really make it standout.

Preset attached.

Attachments

• Z for Strat.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I tried both when playing with it yesterday... FAS Boost worked nicely!

As Yek mentioned in his write-up, the ratio of Input Drive to Master Volume is important.

For low gain (edge of breakup) tones, there are a ton of options in the Axe Fx. Try the AC20 models, Buttery, Roamer, Nuclear Tone, A30 Clean... The list goes on, but those are some of my favorite. The top 2 or 3 tend to alternate as FW changes,

Thanks @unix-guy. I'll give them a crack. So many choices - not enough time between cramming new songs with new band, and getting my basic sounds happening with this new unit. Loving it but in desperate need of some more sleep ;-)

Just had a little rip on that Maz-38 SR patch I posted with the Strat before the kids knocked off. Oh whee! That's some tasty stuff. I can't believe how easy it is to dial this stuff in now. There was a time I'd spend hours crafting something like that patch to get it just right. Now you just drop some blocks down, settle on an amp model and an IR and twist BMTV and GO! Crazy!

A little update with more blocks. Because more blocks is more fun right? The chorus block is setup for vibrato after @chrisjnyc asked for vibrato in another thread.

Also, shortened the name because the new big-up display for the preset name has me all OCD'ing about line wrapping the preset name now! :D

Attachments

• Z Strat.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks @unix-guy. I'll give them a crack. So many choices - not enough time between cramming new songs with new band, and getting my basic sounds happening with this new unit. Loving it but in desperate need of some more sleep ;-)
Got to practice last night and had a go with Buttery . Some minor tweaking and I loved it. I crossed back to my stock D30 match and wow - it sounds even better with the new firmware. Infact, other tones that were not working with my setup are all sounding really nice now. Great job FAS team.

Back
Top Bottom