Brand New GHS David Gilmour 10-48 Strings – Rusted out of the box!

Piing

Axe-Master
After more than 30 years playing with D’addario EXL110 10-13-17-26-36-46 on all guitars (and never having a problem) I have decided to try the GHS David Gilmour 10-12-16-38-48 set at the Stratocaster (I need to do 5 semitones bending at the 2nd string). I’ve bought 3 sets and… surprise! They are all rusted!

The string packs are factory sealed with a plastic inside the box. I guess that someone touched the strings with sweaty hands before putting them into the envelopes.

I have already complained to both the vendor (Music Support Shop, Thailand) and to GHS, and I’m waiting for an answer.

GHS%20Strings%20Rusted%201.jpg

GHS%20Strings%20Rusted%202.jpg

GHS%20Strings%20Rusted%203.jpg

GHS%20Strings%20Rusted%204.jpg

Last edited:
I would assume GHS will take care of this. If not I would not buy any more. I know my local music store would take care of this no questions asked, they appreciate my business.

I bought a bunch of fender strings from an eBay vendor and about half of the sets had rusty strings in them. I don't buy strings that often so just buy 5 or 10 sets at a time so they are there if needed. This means it may be many weeks before I know a set is bad.....I think I'll go local from now on!
Thanks
Pauly

Your strings are relic'd. ;)

I like strings that are in sealed packages that keep oxygen and moisture out. They stay "fresher" longer than the open packs that are just in paper. Areas with high humidity can be tough on strings.
With some manufacturers, the sealed packaging may be a gimmick. I had a brand new set of Ernie Balls in the sealed, airtight packaging that were rusty.

That's weird. Never had any problems with Ernie Balls strings in nearly 20 years even long before they switched to the sealed packaging. Maybe you got a lemon set. It happens.

I've read somewhere that D'Addario fills their sealed bags with inert gas to drive out oxygen and moisture. Not sure what EB does with theirs.

I'd like to cast a vote for the GHS Gilmour 10s ... If it might sway someone to re-try them, I've been using these strings on all 15 of my guitars since they first appeared on the market (used GHS Boomer 10s prior to that) and have never had a single issue with rust, pitting, dead strings, etc. In fact, I've never broken one either (knock on wood) and I tend to play fairly hard. Just my two-cents worth.

After more than 30 years playing with D’addario EXL110 10-13-17-26-36-46 on all guitars (and never having a problem) I have decided to try the GHS David Gilmour 10-12-16-38-48 set at the Stratocaster (I need to do 5 semitones bending at the 2nd string). I’ve bought 3 sets and… surprise! They are all rusted!

The string packs are factory sealed with a plastic inside the box. I guess that someone touched the strings with sweaty hands before putting them into the envelopes.

I have already complained to both the vendor (Music Support Shop, Thailand) and to GHS, and I’m waiting for an answer.

I have used those same Gilmour strings for many, many years, never had an issue. BUT they changed from the paper packaging like in your picture to individual sealed plastic wrapping for each string years ago. I would guess the sets you bought have been in storage or on a shelf somewhere for a loooong time.

GHS is going to replace the strings. That’s an excellent customer care! And they confirm that the new stings are sealed with nitro envelopes.

I’ve put the rusty set on the American Deluxe with EMG’s and recorded this:

I’ve arrived to the conclusion that I am more rusted than those strings! :D

Back
Top Bottom