Bought a Strat yesterday (AKA: Single Coil Tones Are Ridiculous!)

I have both SSS ad HSS strats.
the single coil bridge pickup definitely has it's own sound.
I've always found that singles coils were the most difficult to mate with modelling.
I have Kinman Woodstock and Blackmore sets in my strats.
Extremely happy with them and work very well with Friedmans, Camerons, JCM 800, Plexi's....
for those thinking they can't get a decent sound out of their bridge SC, have a listen to Blackmore's early work....
For HSS I refer a low gain humbucker and as Prince mentioned, parallel gives you a single coil like sound with the humbucking advantage.

The bottom knob on my Strat is a no-load tone pot pressed into service as a blender/switch that links bridge to neck, so you can get a Tele-esque sound if you want to, or all 3....

There's so many options out there for awesome stuff. I'm thinking of throwing this in there- https://madhatterguitarproducts.com...with-a-5-way-selector-switch-for-sss-svdt-3-3

A push/pull lets you mix up your pickup options,
  1. Bridge & Middle pickups in series
  2. Bridge & Middle pickups in parallel (same as standard mode)
  3. Bridge & Middle pickups in series and in parallel with Neck pickup
  4. Middle & Neck pickups in parallel (same as standard mode)
  5. Middle & Neck pickups in series
And it's all solder-less, which I love because I hate wiring pickups and I plan on trying several different pickups in this thing until I settle on something I really dig.

I went through many years of 'swiss army knife' guitars. None of them could do everything well.

Now I'm down to 2 HB guitars, and one Strat type (Silver Sky...)

I had a go at P90's a few times, but for some reason never bonded with them.

Congrats on the guitar, those Fender CV editions are seriously underrated.

There's so many options out there for awesome stuff. I'm thinking of throwing this in there- https://madhatterguitarproducts.com...with-a-5-way-selector-switch-for-sss-svdt-3-3

A push/pull lets you mix up your pickup options,
  1. Bridge & Middle pickups in series
  2. Bridge & Middle pickups in parallel (same as standard mode)
  3. Bridge & Middle pickups in series and in parallel with Neck pickup
  4. Middle & Neck pickups in parallel (same as standard mode)
  5. Middle & Neck pickups in series
And it's all solder-less, which I love because I hate wiring pickups and I plan on trying several different pickups in this thing until I settle on something I really dig.
The other toggle switch on my Strat reconfigures the 5-way switch so that the 2 an4 positions are series, and has the added benefit of keeping the switch choices order the same as the normal way. The resulting tones are, as expected, a little fatter in the mids and a little louder, but still sound like a Strat. :)

EMG89 does a very convincing single coil also. Underrated pickup IMO.

Congrats on the new guitar!
I went through many years of 'swiss army knife' guitars. None of them could do everything well.
Same dog bit me. That's why I take an assortment of guitars to each gig. One with humbuckers and a Floyd bridge, one with humbuckers (or more recently Phat Cat P-90s) and a fixed bridge, a Strat tuned to E, and a Strat tuned to Eb. (With the more recent Virtual Capo, I could probably whittle it down to a single Strat.) I have coil splitters on several of my humbucker guitars but I've never found anything that can get the bridge/middle pickup combination squonk sound like a Strat can.

I just picked up one of the Schecter Nick Johnston Diamond series and have been blown away. I've played strats all my life but hadn't owned an SSS in a while. Even though I love my Suhr Classic HSS and my Charvel Pro Mod HSS I just kept wanting a SSS. Some of the best single tones i've ever had with the stock pups. I love this guitar. Fit and finish is really good, did have 2 frets that were a smidge high, but only if you're being picky. Got my considering selling my Suhr and picking up the HSS version of this guitar, then putting the rest of the money towards another guitar.

I'm about to do a shootoutvs my strat style guitars plus my buddies Silver Eagle and Suhr SSS.

I think Swiss-army knife guitars are something I’m going to avoid for 2 primary reasons-

1-I love guitars. The more I “have” to purchase, the better off I am.

2- I’d rather have a guitar that does ONE thing At 100% than several things at 90%.

Back
Top Bottom