Bought a set of Nut files this week!

I will keep an eye out for that but I check my action and truss every so often (periodic maintenance) and no issue.

I keep my strings 2/32” from the bottom of the string to stop of 12th fret.
Watch the first fret clearance when you fret at the second fret. You should have a tiny gap to see light over the first fret.

How crushel is it to have the angle on the back side of the nut for those strings that have a high angle pointing to the tuning post?

How crushel is it to have the angle on the back side of the nut for those strings that have a high angle pointing to the tuning post?
Extremely crucial, I was going to mention it to you but something got in the way of me making a post (likely life). I figured someone else would do it for me so, there ya go.

You want the front edge of the nut (fingerboard side) to be the highest point of the slot. Otherwise the open string can buzz in the nut slot and mess with intonation.

1715388387578.png

A smooth curve is generally better than a flat angle. Same goes for the side to side angle of the inner strings on 3x3 headstocks. Pre-made nuts usually have all parallel slots but the angles to the tuning pegs do not match. This causes a bend in the string as it exits the slot. A smooth curve spreads out the pressure and friction, but is a bit more difficult to create with a flat file. It takes some practice to do it well.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but just used a piece of A or D string to file the nut wholes a bit, but just on the headstock side, not (!) on the neck side (I just did that one time and needed to use a bit of glue to repair the height of the nut whole afterwards).
If the string is binding in the slot, you need to file the entire length of the slot, not just the headstock side. If you use an actual file instead of a string, you won't have to bear down so hard, so you can widen the slot without changing the height. It might take a bit of practice to get comfortable doing that, though. :)

Yes, I have, and use the same magnifying lenses shown in the link - used them for years, and love them. However, if I had it to do over again, I'd think about getting the same type glasses, with the lights.

If the string is binding in the slot, you need to file the entire length of the slot, not just the headstock side. If you use an actual file instead of a string, you won't have to bear down so hard, so you can widen the slot without changing the height. It might take a bit of practice to get comfortable doing that, though. :)
Another thought about filing nuts using a guitar string...

You can’t keep a guitar string straight while you’re pressing down on it. The front and back of the slut will get lower than the middle of the slot, and that will cause issues. It’s far better to use a file that knows how to stay straight all by itself.

I followed this vid a while ago when I needed to do some nut filing - the longer files like shown in the vid are good as they provide a way to "aim" along its straight edge toward the post while filing.

Last edited:
I followed this vid a while ago when I needed to do some nut filing - the longer files like shown in the vid are good as they provide a way to "aim" along its straight edge toward the post while filing.

So I took some time last night and sat down to take a close look at what was going on with the slots in the nut. What started out to be just a basic slot file and polish turned into a fret polish as well. Amazing what you can see when you magnify things 5X Ha... So after a few hours with Micro mesh I was able to polish out the minor divots in the first 5 frets and make the rest very shiny.

On the nut I found the reasons that the strings were hanging up and with a few light strokes of the right sized files and followed up with a light polish I restrung the guitar and tuned up to pitch. This morning the first thing I did was to use the Trem and no more ping ping ping!

Thanks to all that offered up info and insight!

So I took some time last night and sat down to take a close look at what was going on with the slots in the nut. What started out to be just a basic slot file and polish turned into a fret polish as well. Amazing what you can see when you magnify things 5X Ha... So after a few hours with Micro mesh I was able to polish out the minor divots in the first 5 frets and make the rest very shiny.

On the nut I found the reasons that the strings were hanging up and with a few light strokes of the right sized files and followed up with a light polish I restrung the guitar and tuned up to pitch. This morning the first thing I did was to use the Trem and no more ping ping ping!

Thanks to all that offered up info and insight!
Awesome - I'm finding it very rewarding to learn to do my own setups and minor luthiering, tho its taking some help, study, good tools, and practice. I've come to believe that some of the "specialness" in a guitar is actually in the setup. I realized this after tinkering with setup on some guitars that I had no previous "bond" with, and there was suddenly some magic appearing in terms of my "connection" with the instrument. Made me look at things a little differently when trying out guitars in store - even if they are well set up by the store staff, my own setup might be able to bring something else out of it since it the most personalized set up there can be - of course I've had newb screwups too where I lost a good feeling from a guitar due to mal-setup and had trouble recovering it - luckily never any irreversible damage to a good guitar (a beater guitar I use for luthiering practice damaged here and there but that's what I have it for).

Back
Top Bottom