Bought a 2nd FM3 as a backup: setup question

But I could back up a few presets only then and load those…is that correct?
As @Rex said, you'll want your system backup, too.

If you use 3rd party IRs you'll want those as well.

My first reply was a very generic "make a duplicate unit" approach... But it can be refined depending on your needs.

I have two that I keep mostly in sync, but not exactly (I have one on a pedalboard with other pedals). I back up the presets, IRs, and system settings every few weeks and sync the two with what I want. If you're doing a straight duplicate, then just simply restore everything. FractalBot will take care of everything in just a few clicks.

I'd keep them identical by syncing via backups. Once the initial sync occurs I'd probably just sync whichever bank I'm sticking my own presets in, along with user cabs, and then periodically sync everything again.

We're humans. We see something shiny and tweak our main one, then see something else shiny and forget to make the change on the spare, and then over time their configuration drifts. The worst time to find out they've drifted is when you need the spare, right now.

The good thing is, Fractal overengineers these things because they're working with big acts who can't afford to have their gear fail. Us normal folk reap the benefits.

I have two and run them independently.... mostly because I don't trust my
ears and how I dial shit in on a daily basis. Having them different keeps me
honest. Mostly. :)

Viva la difference!!!

Also considering getting a backup FM3.

I'm wondering, however, if it is possible (and practical) to also "daisy chain" them, and say for instance run drives/amp/delays (group1) in one FM3 and cabs/room (group 2) on another to free some CPU on the first FM3. I usually have group2 fixed on my set. This way I would have an extended rig and a backup at the same time.

Anyone ever tried sth like this?

Back
Top Bottom