Boston NON-Rockman Request, but a few SR&R Rockmodule Requests (and a little Rockmodule background)

manatarms

I posted this in the wish list area, but wanted to post it here too. I know the Rockman isn't that popular anymore, and especially here, but I used to own a whole SR&D Rockmodule collection and there are a few things that they did that were geared directly for guitar that I'd love to see added. The Rockmodules had way more options and more features than the little headphone amp.

Here's what I mean.

rCIGrS9.jpg

Here's what I'd like to see modeled. I'm NOT requesting they model the Sustainor, but some of the other Rockmodules were pretty cool.

1. Model the Rockman Compressor. It was designed specifically for the guitar, and especially distorted guitar. It's really a two phase compressor. Here's a nice writeup about it. http://www.rockman.fr/Reviews/GC.htm

2. Model the Rockman EQ. It was also designed specifically for guitar. It's slider breakdown is different than a typical 10 band EQ. It has additional frequencies in the mid-range area. The bands are 500K 700K 1K 1.4K 2K 2.8K 4K. Seems like this would be easy to implement.

RockmanEQ.png

Tom Scholz had developed a midi version of the EQ which could do two separate EQs (for pre and post) called the PGE2. These are extremely rare and expensive now.

TS Studio EQ.png
I can pretty much replicate the Stereo Chorus and the Stereo Echo with what the AxeFx already has.

I'm working on a video showing how I've gotten some great Rockman Stereo Chorus and Stereo Echo effects and also showing the dynamics of the FM9 with a little example of Boston's "Walking at Night" from the Walk On album. Many people think Tom Scholz only used the Rockman headphone amp, but in reality he really used the Rockmodules for that whole album and they give some really cool tones.

When people try to replicate the "Boston" tone, even from the first album, they leave out an essential part; the Stereo Chorus. On the first album, that didn't exist but Tom had come up with the basics of it that he called a doubler. That sound is a very wide chorus. To get that, the Stereo Chorus sends to the one side 100% dry signal and the other a chorused version. The Rockman headphone amp does a nice chorus, but to get the super wide sound, you need the Stereo Chorus Rockmodule. In it's long chorus setting and set on wide, it uses a very slow slow sweep speed and 40ms of delay to the chorused side. It sounds awesome!!

Stereo Chorus.png

The Stereo Echo is a bucket brigade echo that's already set up with the "Golden Ratio". With the pan selected at the top setting, it's very much like a wet dry setup where the dry signal goes down the middle and the echos are on the side. It's a smooth analog signal that doesn't dominate. I've read where lots of studios have used these and the Stereo Chorus's in their studios for a long time.

Stereo Echo.png

Anyway, sorry if this was long, but I think these get overlooked.

If you are trying to get that Boston tone from scratch on any of the FAS products (I have an AX8), which amp are you using? Amp settings, etc?

Are factory presets like "Jeff Gets Ready" and "Bostonian" close enough to the units that tweaking them will work?

Nick

Which amps/settings does it use. Stereo chorus and stereo delay are obviously going to be necessary, to get that sound.

I apologize, I'll have to take a look when I get home. I do still have a Soloist that I got for my 16th birthday (In... Uhm... 1989) and it sounds soooo much like that signature Rockman tone. Especially the Jeff preset and scenes.

That 7-band Rockman EQ does look cool. Some of these other modules are easily reproducible using existing blocks.
I agree that you can get most of the other module sounds from the current blocks. If you could look at the Compressor link and see if it's possible to get the same kind of compressor setup with any of the current compressor blocks, that would be great. My understanding is that the Rockman compressor was uniquely designed for use with guitars. Anyway, I'd be elated if the 7-band EQ was added!!

Are factory presets like "Jeff Gets Ready" and "Bostonian" close enough to the units that tweaking them will work?

Nick
I thought the "Bostonian" was fairly close, but I didn't think the stereo chorusing was working like the modules did. I've dialed in a preset that I think does the trick pretty well. I have the stereo chorus setup for it's wide stereo, long-chorus style and I think it's pretty good. I'll have to post it when I have some time.

Can someone please, share the Bostonian preset parameters? I will then try to dial it in from scratch on my AX8. Thanks.

I used to own the Sustainor, and ran it into a Yamaha SPX 90 II, back in the 1980's.
Then I ran it through two Fender Champs with 12" speakers. I have no idea how I came up with this combination, but it sounded great ( I had to mic the amps) The Sustainor sounded distinct on a few songs I recorded, back in the 1980's on 2" tape. There are times I miss it. If the FM9 has something similar, that would be cool ( Bostonian preset)

The MIDI Octopus was my favorite Rockman product, which didn't make any sound at all, of course. I've bought & sold them at least twice when I was using various MESA amps.

omg is the Bostonian preset defaulting to BRIT800 amp or did I overload my FM9 cpu?
LOL....
Different spots on the internetz say various things, but if it sounds right, roll with. Alternatively...

"On the first and second album he used attenuated Marshalls with a graphic eq and a homemade boost pedal before the amp. The eq was set to boost up 800hz. The 800hz frequency is the secret to that sound."

"The Marshalls were 100wt heads from the 72-74 era into a single 4x12 basketweave angle cab. In addition to the pre-amp boost and graphic EQ that Ralph mentioned, the outboard processing of the guitar included heavy limiting, and was split at the board into an MXR rack delay unit as well as an MXR rack Doubler. This is some 26 years ago?? But I think the guitar sounds were a total of four separate tracks melded into one."

(random internet source)

Another long time Boston tone chaser! I have a preset that has been in the works for a while. I feel I have a great distortion sound but my cleans could use a little work.

If anyone would like to try it I have attached it here!

What I would really like is to be able to duplicate the Hyperspace pedal! As far as I know it's still not possible to do within the tape delays.

Attachments

• Boston.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 8
The 12 Band Rockman Instrument Equalizer looks cool, lots of higher-Q bands midrange bands.

Bands at 62, 125, 250, 500, 700, 1K, 1.4K, 2K, 2.8K, 4K, 8K, and 16K.

Make that one please!
I'm hoping that do! It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult.

"The Marshalls were 100wt heads from the 72-74 era in...This is some 26 years ago??
44+ years ago now since the 2nd album's release, afaik, the last of 2 to use traditional amps with the subsequent albums using Rockman gear - amazing - the birth of modelling really after this, in an analogue sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom