Boss RC-2 Looper and Axe-FX Issues

alexi

First, I've had my Axe-Fx for over a year and primarily use it for recording and practice purposes. I have output 1(L) going to my DAW and through to the studio monitors. Output 2(L) goes to a single FBT Verve 8ma. It's upgraded to the newest firmware and all works well with the exception of my RC-2 loop pedal. I've got the FX Send(R) going to the input of the RC-2 and the output going back into the Axe-FX FX Return(L). I can hear the sound coming from the RC-2 but it is so low compared to the guitar signal that I might as well not even be using it. Any thoughts on routing it differently to increase the volume coming from the RC-2? Any other loopers that don't experience this problem? Thanks.

alexi said:
First, I've had my Axe-Fx for over a year and primarily use it for recording and practice purposes. I have output 1(L) going to my DAW and through to the studio monitors. Output 2(L) goes to a single FBT Verve 8ma. It's upgraded to the newest firmware and all works well with the exception of my RC-2 loop pedal. I've got the FX Send(R) going to the input of the RC-2 and the output going back into the Axe-FX FX Return(L). I can hear the sound coming from the RC-2 but it is so low compared to the guitar signal that I might as well not even be using it. Any thoughts on routing it differently to increase the volume coming from the RC-2? Any other loopers that don't experience this problem? Thanks.

Where do you have the input 2 and output 2 knobs set?

javajunkie said:
alexi said:

I've got input 2 about 3 o'clock. I can crank it all the way and it will show some clipping but going from 3 to fully cranked doesn't change the volume on the RC-2 much. I've got the output 2 knob at about 11 o'clock and the guitar sound is plenty loud - but there is a vast difference in the sound of the guitar and the RC-2. If I turn input 1 down to barely registering a green light the two get much closer in sound level.

alexi said:
javajunkie said:
alexi said:

I've got input 2 about 3 o'clock. I can crank it all the way and it will show some clipping but going from 3 to fully cranked doesn't change the volume on the RC-2 much. I've got the output 2 knob at about 11 o'clock and the guitar sound is plenty loud - but there is a vast difference in the sound of the guitar and the RC-2. If I turn input 1 down to barely registering a green light the two get much closer in sound level.

Are you routing the effects loop before or after an amp block

Are you routing the effects loop before or after an amp block[/quote]

I have it after the amp block

alexi said:

I have it after the amp block[/quote]

It is possible you could be clipping the input of the looper causing a limiter to kick in. I'm not sure if the boss looper has that. Try placing the block before the amp to test. It is designed for a guitar level input. You are giving it a hot line level most likely.

javajunkie said:
alexi said:

I have it after the amp block

It is possible you could be clipping the input of the looper causing a limiter to kick in. I'm not sure if the boss looper has that. Try placing the block before the amp to test. It is designed for a guitar level input. You are giving it a hot line level most likely.[/quote]

Yeah - I think you are right. I can put the RC-2 in front of everything: Guitar >RC-2>front input of Axe-Fx and it works great. The only problem is whatever effects you have on a patch impact the sound of the drum machine in the RC-2 and its really annoying. I was hoping to be able to use the drum machine but oh well. Using this thing in the loop just doesn't work no matter where I put it. Level is just way too low. Thanks for your help.

javajunkie said:
It is designed for a guitar level input. You are giving it a hot line level most likely.
I've been using an RC-2 on the unbalanced output 1 signals from the AXE-FX very successfully. It doesn't appear that the RC-2 has any problems with line-level signals. It's been a while since I've dug up the specs on the RC-2 but I don't believe the RC-2 has a limiter in it's circuitry.

alexi said:
I've got the FX Send(R) going to the input of the RC-2 and the output going back into the Axe-FX FX Return(L)
Maybe that's a typo? ..... sending the FX right channel to the RC-2 and coming back to the AFX in the left channel? Not sure why you'd want to cross channels.

alexi said:
the guitar sound is plenty loud - but there is a vast difference in the sound of the guitar and the RC-2
If I understand this correctly: you have the RC-2 in the FX loop of the AXE-FX just as you described in the first post. You play your guitar (passing through the RC-2) and it's nice and loud - just like it's supposed to be. You record a phrase. The looper starts playing the phrase back and you hear two things; first, the recorded phrase being played back is really quiet and secondly, your "original guitar signal" - played over the phrase - is still nice and loud?

I'm sure you messed with the guide and phrase volumes on the RC-2.

Back
Top Bottom