Boss EV-30 Range Of Motion

If that’s how yours is, you’re golden. Maybe it’s a different generation? Maybe someone retired it? Maybe I’m just plain wrong?...
No, they both were not retired. They came originally brand new from the factory.
In the meantime I swapped out the original pot to a B10k, which should be linear in any case.
AND: The pedal now works indeed linear, which I already can see when calibrateing the pedal in the FX3.
No idea about the original pot's curve, but it is definitely not linear.
The new pot is mono (the original is stereo). But as I use the pedal for expression control, I don't need the stereo function.

Last edited:
I just received delivery of a new Boss EV-30 Dual Expression Pedal this past week.
1st thing, I put a meter on it. The readings indicate a smooth, even resistance response from the heel to toe positions. I did not notice any 'dead' spots or non-responsive areas in the first 20-30% of the pedal's travel.
Next, I connected to FM9. Initial calibration worked as expected.
Next, I added a Wah block to a preset that I copied from a factory preset and activated the pedal. (I used the Wah pedal tutorial in the manual, btw.)
I have not had time to tweak parameters or add expression pedal to any other blocks or presets. I did reverse the polarity and the throw of the pedal was reversed as expected. Seems like the pedal works exactly as described, with no issues.

Happily surprised so far, after reading of others' past experiences here and elsewhere. Am I just lucky?

I just received delivery of a new Boss EV-30 Dual Expression Pedal this past week.
1st thing, I put a meter on it. The readings indicate a smooth, even resistance response from the heel to toe positions. I did not notice any 'dead' spots or non-responsive areas in the first 20-30% of the pedal's travel.
Next, I connected to FM9. Initial calibration worked as expected.
Next, I added a Wah block to a preset that I copied from a factory preset and activated the pedal. (I used the Wah pedal tutorial in the manual, btw.)
I have not had time to tweak parameters or add expression pedal to any other blocks or presets. I did reverse the polarity and the throw of the pedal was reversed as expected. Seems like the pedal works exactly as described, with no issues.

Happily surprised so far, after reading of others' past experiences here and elsewhere. Am I just lucky?
I use two EV-30s with my FM9 and they work fine - one for wah and one for volume (although I don’t actually use that one much). I haven’t measured or metered them so I can’t say anything technical but they work for me.

Thx for this info. I'm looking at getting a pair of these as it doesn't look like Fractal is going to have anymore EV-2s out until next year at this point. The Boss units are solid quality, I can get them quickly and work well so I'll just go with those.

As an update, got my EV-30 pedals. They work very well! I didn't even have to configure anything. We have WAH! Still may get the EV-2 pedals now that they are in stock once again as I like the tradition pedal height and look a bit better than I thought I would with these. They are a bit flatter than I am used to.

Last edited:
Interesting as I'm seeing similar on some pedals. I'm not getting readings for the first 20% or so of the travel from heel down on my Boss EV-30 and even less on a Roland EV-5. My Fractal expression pedals give the full sweep throughout the range. I've calibrated each model when trying them of course. Seems like the pedal just isn't providing a reading until it's over about 20% of its travel when starting at heel down.

Interesting as I'm seeing similar on some pedals. I'm not getting readings for the first 20% or so of the travel from heel down on my Boss EV-30 and even less on a Roland EV-5. My Fractal expression pedals give the full sweep throughout the range. I've calibrated each model when trying them of course. Seems like the pedal just isn't providing a reading until it's over about 20% of its travel when starting at heel down.
Those pedals have knobs that allow you to set minimum values for the sweep. Make sure you’ve dialed those out.

The minimum value pot is typically in series with the main pot. You should still have response over the full sweep of the pedal. If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance between the tip and sleeve as you very slowly move the pedal. The value should smoothly change over the full sweep of the pedal. Very small dead spots at either end are not uncommon, but it definitely shouldn't be 20% of the pedal's movement. Could be a bad pot or it may have shifted rotation in it's mounting point and is misaligned.

I did some diagnosing and it's the pedals themselves. I opened up the Roland EV-5 and adjusted the mounting point of the pot with the moving mechanism and that got me close to full response. I have a tad bit of dead area at the toe end of the sweep now, but it's much better this way. It doesn't seem like I can do the same (easily) with the Boss EV-30 as the pot is locked into place differently. I may try ordering another one and see if I have better luck with the sweep on it.

Back
Top Bottom