BOSS EURUS GS-1 Synth Guitar

What are they thinking? A Synth guitar without 13-pin output? I totally pass

They are missing a great opportunity there. A 13-pin output would not only help them boost the sales of the SY-1000, GP-10 etc. but it would be purchased by many of their existing users. This is just a miserable stand-alone synth-guitar with only 6 sounds.

They are missing a great opportunity there. A 13-pin output would not only help them boost the sales of the SY-1000, GP-10 etc. but it would be purchased by many of their existing users. This is just a miserable stand-alone synth-guitar with only 6 sounds.

I didn't even notice that. Crazy. There are like 2½ places on the planet to get 13-pin stuff, and these guys are the originators. How lame haha. I used to use the VG8 and the GR-1. I really liked them both, but the aliasing on the VG8 was out of control. Early days of modelling; what can you say?

https://www.boss.info/us/products/eurus_gs-1/

Looks interesting, and debuting at NAMM today, from what I can tell. I use the Jam Origin whenever I want to go that route, but for those who are into it, I'm curious when people start using these if they're a huge improvement over everything else.

BTW, Jam Origin is a completelly different story. These are modeled synth sounds processed from the actual guitar waveform (they capture all the playing nuances), not a triggered guitar-to-MIDI conversion . You surely know that, since you had a VG8. I just point it out in case that someone thinks that a modeled synth guitar can be replaced with Jam Origin.

Last edited:
The only editing interface is via iPhone or Android app. What’s the chance they’re gonna sell enough of these to keep supporting that for more than a couple of years?

It looks like a gadget to be sold in a Apple Store rather than in a Guitar Shop :D

BTW, Jam Origin is a completelly different story. These are modeled synth sounds processed from the actual guitar waveform (they capture all the playing nuances), not a triggered guitar-to-MIDI conversion . You surely know that, since you had a VG8. I just point it out in case that someone thinks that a modeled synth guitar can be replaced with Jam Origin.

Oh yeah, I know. I loved some of the awesome non-guitar sounds I created on the VG8, and when it came to that it was so responsive. I don't own anything with a 13-pin input or output anymore, and I don't think I'd get back into any of that stuff any time soon. I'm dubious of the sound quality of digital Boss or Roland, but that may not be fair any longer (I haven't cared enough to explore). I do think that for straight conversion to MIDI, there's nothing better with a standard guitar output than Jam Origin, from what I've seen.

Not that anyone would give a damn, but I was utterly positive the intro to Beneath the Remains by Sepultura was the first factory patch of the GR-1. When I got the unit I played that intro and was shocked that it sounded the same. Also, I'm pretty sure the outro solo to How Could I? by Cynic, was absolutely the organ factory patch on that thing too haha.

So many Boss products come and go it's gotten hard to even pay attention.

That's a huge problem for me. In general I don't trust stuff that's too proprietary these days, unless there's a ton of evidence that the company behind it is awesome. For small companies that are awesome and innovative, there's can be too little demand to keep them able to produce and support the awesome product, or there's some copycat or royalty problem that ruins it, and for companies who have a cool idea but are staffed with assholes, they don't care about leaving customers in the dust. I don't get the impression that Roland is a bunch of assholes, but I'm dubious anyway. I feel like they just throw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what will stick.

The only editing interface is via iPhone or Android app. What’s the chance they’re gonna sell enough of these to keep supporting that for more than a couple of years?

Totally with you on that. You're saying this just has me tangentially thinking of Tronical Tune; their latest version has an app to control the hardware, and I just don't see the app lasting, given everything else about that company (holy crap, I tried to read reviews one night, and it was brutal). Further to the point is Jammit, an abandoned app (had nothing to do with any hardware though) that left many users in a lurch.

So many Boss products come and go it's gotten hard to even pay attention.

If you don't know what to offer to The Boss for his birthday, may I suggest a Boss GP-10GK kit? 🎂:)🎂

That may awake his interest in modeling guitars, pickups, and other cool things. I've always dreamed of Roland V-Guitar Tech with FAS quality and versatility :cool:

Boss has a few guitar synth platforms out there and the first one to support 13-pin is the SY-1000, so this might just be a Boss thing. It's really odd though since Roland is all about 13-pin.

Yeh, this looks like a steaming vat of missed opportunities…..
In addition to my collection of vintage and current Roland/Boss (GR-30, GR-33,
GR-55, SY-1000 ) and other defunct 13-pin tech (RIP , Antares, Fretlight, et.al..)..I still love Jam Origin’s stuff (c’mon give us 3.0 already…!)
and, surprisingly, the Jamstik Pro does very well as an all-in -one solution , with USB-C or Bluetooth MIDI MPE control options…as well being a fairly respectable straight travel image.jpgaxe…..

Back
Top Bottom