Implemented Boss DS-1

Should be of note- Vai and Satch both used the older MIJ versions. I can't remember what the differences were, but back in my Vai fanboy days I got a newer DS-1 and hated it, it was thin and scratchy. A few years later I found an MIJ for $50 and it was pretty big difference. I still have it, but the pedal casing broke.

The MIJ's have a much thicker/warmer tone to them. Satch's tone on the '96 G3 video is a good example of an MIJ DS-1. Vai was just using his as a boost into his amps, as where it was Satch's main distortion back in the 90's.

Should be of note- Vai and Satch both used the older MIJ versions. I can't remember what the differences were, but back in my Vai fanboy days I got a newer DS-1 and hated it, it was thin and scratchy. A few years later I found an MIJ for $50 and it was pretty big difference. I still have it, but the pedal casing broke.

The MIJ's have a much thicker/warmer tone to them. Satch's tone on the '96 G3 video is a good example of an MIJ DS-1. Vai was just using his as a boost into his amps, as where it was Satch's main distortion back in the 90's.
There is a mod done to their ds1 too.

In the video where Butch VIg broke down songs from the album he mentions a bassman with a super grunge pedal on it. The grunge pedal came out after Nevermind so i'm not sure what he's talking about.
I am almost certain that he gigged with the ds1 and then ds2 when the nevermind record came out til the end

I am almost certain that he gigged with the ds1 and then ds2 when the nevermind record came out til the end

Keeley modded them shortly before they both stopped using them. I couldn’t tell you exactly what year they started using the modded ones, but they were un-modded prior to ‘97. I think they both had the Seeing Eye mod. Also, if I remember right, the ones Keeley modded for them were newer, non-MIJ versions. I used to spend way too much time studying Vai’s gear. I mean WAY too much time.

Back
Top Bottom