Boosting low/medium gain amps for rock/metal tones?

Pelikanen

Inspired
Using an EMG-equipped baritone in drop A, with a Tubescreamer as my boost, I've recently started messing around with some Dumbles (ODS-100 Ford 1, FOX ODS), Fenders (65 Bassman, Jr Blues), Trainwrecks (Ruby Rocket) etc and I think they're capable of these really raw, crunchy and punchy tones!

Has anyone else tried it and what did you think?

EDIT: Realized that Discussion might be the wrong forum so I made a new thread (didn't know how to move it) in Preset Exchange.

Last edited:
Using an EMG-equipped baritone in drop A, with a Tubescreamer as my boost, I've recently started messing around with some Dumbles (ODS-100 Ford 1, FOX ODS), Fenders (65 Bassman, Jr Blues), Trainwrecks (Ruby Rocket) etc and I think they're capable of these really raw, crunchy and punchy tones!

Has anyone else tried it and what did you think?

I do this sometimes when I'm bored. I can get good results out of mid-gain amps like the 800 model and the like.

For lower gain amps like the plexi's, you can get some pretty interesting tones, but it generally requires high preamp gain, saturation switch, an overdrive pushing the amp pretty hard, and even then, it's not modern high gain levels of gain. Pretty fun, but things do start to fall apart on low tunings. I prefer to do this with my 6.

I usually end up going back to the recto models, but it's certainly another cool flavor to use.

Cool! Yeah the 800 is one of my favorites too.

The Plexi's are also definitely cool. And I guess you're right, but for punchy rhythms I guess you can't go wrong with a Plexi! :D How would you roughly dial in the tone controls and what model of the Plexi's do you use? I personally find the 50W Hi 2 to be the most "metal", but then again most of them work.

Do you boost the Rectos too?

Btw, nice avatar!

I can't remember the model names now, they all blend together for me since i generally am not interested in low gain amps. However I do remember there was one or two that sounded particularly good when boosted, it may well be the 50w.

The 1959slp was also another one I liked. I remember one change I made was to lower the tone stack center frequency, that seemed to open the amp up a lot and make it clearer for lower tunings. I did it on the 800 also. This was quite a few firmwares ago though, so I don't know if the control is still there.

I do boost the rectos, not for additional gain, but to tighten the tone and change the character. Generally I leave amp gain at about half, and then boost from there.

Lately I've been using external boost pedals and overdrives, but the t808 and t808 mod are good (as long as I have the 'cut' enabled in the amp block). As well as the FAS boost and the Eternal Love, which contrary to its name, is very tight and high-mid oriented, great for loose amps.

I use a drop A seven string for my metal stuff.
The tone I am after is something that modern metal players might not quite like.
To get the sound in my head, I am mostly avoiding those really high gain, no dynamics, sawtoothy tones. They are cool and all, but what I aim for should strike as "Damn that sounds natural and dynamic!". Aiming for Snappy high attack, dynamic, not that much gain woody punchy goodness. I've been trying out many amps within the axe fx and played various gigs with different amp models. I am so glad the axe let's me do that.
Currently my horsie is the Plexi hi 2. No Overdrive pedal. Good stuff.

I can't remember the model names now, they all blend together for me since i generally am not interested in low gain amps. However I do remember there was one or two that sounded particularly good when boosted, it may well be the 50w.

The 1959slp was also another one I liked. I remember one change I made was to lower the tone stack center frequency, that seemed to open the amp up a lot and make it clearer for lower tunings. I did it on the 800 also. This was quite a few firmwares ago though, so I don't know if the control is still there.

I do boost the rectos, not for additional gain, but to tighten the tone and change the character. Generally I leave amp gain at about half, and then boost from there.

Lately I've been using external boost pedals and overdrives, but the t808 and t808 mod are good (as long as I have the 'cut' enabled in the amp block). As well as the FAS boost and the Eternal Love, which contrary to its name, is very tight and high-mid oriented, great for loose amps.
The control for the tone stack frequency is still there, so I might give that a try.

Yeah those Rectos are loose.

Yes those two are the ODs I use right now as well. Interesting that you feel you need the cut enabled too. What guitar/pickups do you play?
Eternal Love is great too! FAS boost on the other hand seems to not quite do the thing I want an OD to do, not tight enough, but I think Cliff said it's meant for Plexi's.

I use a drop A seven string for my metal stuff.
The tone I am after is something that modern metal players might not quite like.
To get the sound in my head, I am mostly avoiding those really high gain, no dynamics, sawtoothy tones. They are cool and all, but what I aim for should strike as "Damn that sounds natural and dynamic!". Aiming for Snappy high attack, dynamic, not that much gain woody punchy goodness. I've been trying out many amps within the axe fx and played various gigs with different amp models. I am so glad the axe let's me do that.
Currently my horsie is the Plexi hi 2. No Overdrive pedal. Good stuff.
Cool! Seems like were both after something similar, at least from what I can tell by your description. In my case I would like to add "dirty" or "raw" though (Zakk Wylde-ish) ;) Using the Ruby Rocket Brt with drive on 7.5, bass on 0, mid on 5, treble on 10 boosted with a T808 OD/Mod, with drive on 0, tone on 9.5 and level on 10 I get this really raw and thick sound, I love it! I get another more tidy tone from the Fox ODS with stock settings and the same settings on the boost.

What pickups are in your seven string?

And how do you set the controls on the Plexi Hi 2? And what IR do you use for that?

Last edited:
The control for the tone stack frequency is still there, so I might give that a try.

Yeah those Rectos are loose.

Yes those two are the ODs I use right now as well. Interesting that you feel you need the cut enabled too. What guitar/pickups do you play?
Eternal Love is great too! FAS boost on the other hand seems to not quite do the thing I want an OD to do, not tight enough, but I think Cliff said it's meant for Plexi's.

The cut I only really use for the Recto models, as they have a lot of bottom end. I can get away without it sometimes, but not with the T808 drives, they seem to have some low frequency thing going on that I don't like, almost like an octave effect or something synth-sounding. Cut switch on in the amp seems to eliminate it though.

I find the Rectos aren't that loose if you set them up right, the master has to be low, and poweramp hardness has to be increased. In my opinion, of course.

I am primarily playing a 1999 Schecter A7+ with a Lundgren M7 in the bridge tuned to A standard. I also have a Mayones Setius 7 but I don't play that one as much.

The cut I only really use for the Recto models, as they have a lot of bottom end. I can get away without it sometimes, but not with the T808 drives, they seem to have some low frequency thing going on that I don't like, almost like an octave effect or something synth-sounding. Cut switch on in the amp seems to eliminate it though.

I find the Rectos aren't that loose if you set them up right, the master has to be low, and poweramp hardness has to be increased. In my opinion, of course.

I am primarily playing a 1999 Schecter A7+ with a Lundgren M7 in the bridge tuned to A standard. I also have a Mayones Setius 7 but I don't play that one as much.
Yeah they really do have tons of bottom end. Although I guess it works for some styles, like nu metal. Hmm... Weird with the octave/synth sounding thing. Could it be that you do have your amp drive too low or your output level on the T808 is too low? Then again, with everyone using different guitars it always differs from rig to rig. Which model do you use most of the Rectos btw?

True. I didn't know about poweramp hardness though, I'll try that sometime.

Sweet guitars man. :cool:

Yeah they really do have tons of bottom end. Although I guess it works for some styles, like nu metal. Hmm... Weird with the octave/synth sounding thing. Could it be that you do have your amp drive too low or your output level on the T808 is too low? Then again, with everyone using different guitars it always differs from rig to rig. Which model do you use most of the Rectos btw?

True. I didn't know about poweramp hardness though, I'll try that sometime.

Sweet guitars man. :cool:

I don't think its a levels thing, as I've used it at unity gain, maxed level, no drive, some drive, different clip types, etc. I've spoken with other people who noticed it also. I remember first noticing it around the time G3 came out but as the 'cut' eliminated it, I didn't really mind.

I like the Recto2 Red Modern, it's the one I use the most. Recto1 is also good but seems more focused, whereas the Recto2 is a bit 'wider' sounding if that makes any sense.

I almost always stick with the shimmer drive, it's my favorite for kicking an amp in the ass!

I like the Recto2 Red Modern, it's the one I use the most. Recto1 is also good but seems more focused, whereas the Recto2 is a bit 'wider' sounding if that makes any sense.
My main heavy patch uses the Recto1 Red. On the Y side I have Recto2 Red Modern which I haven't been using (and actually forgot I had it there until last night ;-) And yea, I noticed that too. The Recto1 seems to cut more and has more mids while the Recto2 feels more spongy and I would call it 'rounder.' By itself, I kinda prefer the Recto2 sound... gonna try it out at the next rehearsal and see if I like it in the mix though.

Cool! Yeah it's funny how amps not made for heavier sounds in the first place can sound heavier than amps made to sound heavy.

Agreed. The Marshalls are a little "too much," to my ears. The Bassman seems to breakup in a somewhat similar way, but it has a smoother, more pleasing top end, while still being bright overall. The Marshalls are a little too fizzy sounding for me.

Back
Top Bottom