Boost DB for solo

Moren

I'd like to know how you increase your level for solo (other than with a pedal volume). I had a TC G major that you could assign a 6db boost to your normal level. Does anyone have a trick?

Thank you

Add a filter block somewhere in your chain, set it to null and raise the level by 6 db. Donʻt raise "gain" unless thatʻs what you really want.

If this block is in front of any other blocks, you might push those blocks into clipping, so I usually put it at the end of my row. It may also clip the global output too, so make sure you have enough headroom to boost by 6dB.

You can also use a volume block. Just set the level up 6db, the bypass mode to thru. When you enable the effect it will boost 6db.

Add a filter block somewhere in your chain, set it to null and raise the level by 6 db. Donʻt raise "gain" unless thatʻs what you really want.

If this block is in front of any other blocks, you might push those blocks into clipping, so I usually put it at the end of my row. It may also clip the global output too, so make sure you have enough headroom to boost by 6dB.

You don't push individual blocks into clipping. You will cause things like the drive and amps ( any nonlinear effect) to react to the added gain.

You can also use a volume block. Just set the level up 6db, the bypass mode to thru. When you enable the effect it will boost 6db.

could you achieve the same thing using the 'level' control in either the amp or cab block without altering the tone..??

could you achieve the same thing using the 'level' control in either the amp or cab block without altering the tone..??

Yes, but it was easier to use a filter with first generation axefxs. Now that you bring up the point, it is actually pretty trivial to set up the boost in the amp or cab block. With the new min/max parameters and 16 external controllers, you can just set up an external contoller connect to level to do the boost. I may adapt my presets with that in mind.

personally... I may be inclined to get the boost via the amp master volume...
couple of reasons [assuming of course that the boost is required for soloing]..

- I'd expect the master volume to drive slightly harder and add a little more beef to the tone..
- the boost would occur before the reverb / delay rather than after therefore stuffing a fatter signal into these blocks..
this may not effect the reverb much, but may have a slight effect on an analogue delay block and introduce a little more 'fizz' to the tone..

maybe placing something to handle the boost at the end of the effects chain may simply raise the level but not contribute to the tone..
so overall I'd expect the approach I suggested to be slightly more organic sounding because you'd get the level boost and maybe something a little extra tonally..

Upping the master volume will increase compression much of the time (sometimes that means you won't get the volume increase you want). Most of the time this is not what I want. Using the level rather than master volume would get around that.

What you described wouldnt effect the reverb at all, it is a Linear effect. Delays with drive yes, otherwise no. It all depends what you are going for.

Upping the master volume will increase compression much of the time (sometimes that means you won't get the volume increase you want). Most of the time this is not what I want. Using the level rather than master volume would get around that.

What you described wouldnt effect the reverb at all, it is a Linear effect. Delays with drive yes, otherwise no. It all depends what you are going for.

ahhh.. gotchya....

in this case I'd most likely use the 'level' control in the cab block's mixer to apply the boost, throw it's output into an analogue delay [even if the delay isn't actually doing any delaying] and then add the reverb..
the effect I'd be after would be to boost the level [obviously.. lol..] and to add something to the tone in a gentle way so it has a little extra 'something'..

would the level of the input signal into the cab block make a difference to the tone??
as in.. does the cab block change it's tonal behaviour when you push it hard??

From Matman:

Hi guys. I set up a GLOBAL boost which works for all presets. Here's how:

Set an IA SWITCH to "NONE"
Set its CC# to that of OUT1 VOLUME
Set the OFF value to "111" (the unboosted level)
Set the ON value to "127" (the boosted level)

Voila. Instant global boost.

You can in fact set up more than one pedal in this way by using SWITCH LINKS, which gives you two boost levels. Just set the 2nd IA to, say, 111 and 119.

I haven't measured the correlation between the 0-127 values and dB, but this would be easy enough to do I think.

PS: ONLY WORKS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL ON OUTPUT1 VOLUME! I happen to like using mine on INPUT VOLUME, which gives varying gain as the pedal is pushed (like an analog volume pedal would do in front of an amp).

^ i think that sounds like the best option. Doesn't take up any blocks either, and you have it across all presets, with MULTIPLE boost levels. Pwnage!

this thread has be wondering something. If I use the an ia to boast the "level" of an amp block will there cab actually respond to being hit harder? This would add some more umph wouldn't it?

I do what Scott Peterson suggested, however going from 111 to 127 is way too much boost for me. 118 to 127 works well for me. FWIW.

this thread has be wondering something. If I use the an ia to boast the "level" of an amp block will there cab actually respond to being hit harder? This would add some more umph wouldn't it?

Not the level parameter, but if you put a volume boost before the amp or increase the input trim you will do the same thing.

From Matman:

Hi guys. I set up a GLOBAL boost which works for all presets. Here's how:

Set an IA SWITCH to "NONE"
Set its CC# to that of OUT1 VOLUME
Set the OFF value to "111" (the unboosted level)
Set the ON value to "127" (the boosted level)

Voila. Instant global boost.

You can in fact set up more than one pedal in this way by using SWITCH LINKS, which gives you two boost levels. Just set the 2nd IA to, say, 111 and 119.

I haven't measured the correlation between the 0-127 values and dB, but this would be easy enough to do I think.

PS: ONLY WORKS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL ON OUTPUT1 VOLUME! I happen to like using mine on INPUT VOLUME, which gives varying gain as the pedal is pushed (like an analog volume pedal would do in front of an amp).

That is a bit harder if you want to vary the boost level (which I often do). You have to adjust each patch on your foot controller. Plus I like just seeing +3db, +6db, etc.

Back
Top Bottom