Bogner Uberschall Help

MirrorProfiles

Inspired
Vendor
So I love the Euro Uber model, easy to get a killer tone and does largely what I expect when I think of an Uberschall.

I know they’re finicky amps to dial in, and Fractal evened out some of the tapers of the pots to more sensible behaviours.

I compared a few different Uberschall emulations today, and usually I can get Fractal tones very much in line with the real deal or other emulations. Today it was the only one that just sounded way different no matter what.

A friend of mine has a Rev Green Uberschall, and I could match his tone with the Helix emulation pretty closely to that with minimal effort (same IR, I matched the tone by ear without knowing his settings):

I’m not saying it’s the best emulation, but if Helix’s Rev Green emulation can get that close to a real Uberschall I think it’s a fair assumption it’s in the ballpark. STL and Neural’s new emulations also seem pretty similar to the Helix one, but in my video FM-3 seems a bit on its own. If you check all my other Fractal videos, they’re always bang on the money, so I’m just curious if I’m missing something here.

Likewise, the other 3 emulations have the peculiar inductor based presence behaviour very evident - Fractal’s seems to behave a bit more typically to other amps presence circuits. The only way I’d be able to match the brightness of the others would be to dive deep into advanced parameters but I’d only like to do that once I’m certain I’m not missing something obvious.

Does anyone here have a real Uberschall (ideally Rev Green but Blue is fine) and could help me dial in some tones that match 1:1?

I’m happy with the tones I can get from Euro Uber and i’m not disputing that it sounds good, but I’d be even happier still if I know to create tones that are totally and verifiably 1:1 to the real deal. I’ve been able to match tones for Rectifiers, EVH5150, Peavey 5150, Friedmans, Marshall’s, Mark Series Mesa’s etc so I’d really like to get a similar outcome with the Uber model.

Use the Uber model and then tone match it to your friends Uberschall.
I’d do this kind of thing as a last resort, but the real thing I’m after is to be able to set a preset up so I can adjust all the main controls like the real deal and get similar behaviours, just like with all the other Fractal models.

Sometimes I just need to adjust power amp tubes/bias/NFB/impedance curve and it’ll match really close.

My Uber is a very early one and probably different than later models. It has the feedback of the 4-ohm tap whereas I've heard later versions have the feedback off the 8-ohm tap. To simulate this increase the Negative Feedback.

Ah amazing, thank you so much! Do you happen to know the serial number/have any other photos just to get an idea of the version? I’m curious if it’s a Rev Green or even earlier. I believe Helix is based off an early model from Reinhold’s own collection but it could well be yours is an older model than the one he provided them.

Presumably the NFB is the only major contributing difference? I did try adjusting that as it’s one of the first places I reach, but i’ll be more brave with it now that I know it’s varied over the years and hopefully it’ll get closer to what I’m after.

Cheers!

I’d do this kind of thing as a last resort, but the real thing I’m after is to be able to set a preset up so I can adjust all the main controls like the real deal and get similar behaviours, just like with all the other Fractal models.

Sometimes I just need to adjust power amp tubes/bias/NFB/impedance curve and it’ll match really close.

Ah amazing, thank you so much! Do you happen to know the serial number/have any other photos just to get an idea of the version? I’m curious if it’s a Rev Green or even earlier. I believe Helix is based off an early model from Reinhold’s own collection but it could well be yours is an older model than the one he provided them.

Presumably the NFB is the only major contributing difference? I did try adjusting that as it’s one of the first places I reach, but i’ll be more brave with it now that I know it’s varied over the years and hopefully it’ll get closer to what I’m after.

Cheers!
I don't know off-hand. I'm away from the office for the next week or so.

My Uber is a very early one and probably different than later models. It has the feedback of the 4-ohm tap whereas I've heard later versions have the feedback off the 8-ohm tap. To simulate this increase the Negative Feedback.

This was pre Cygnus 2?

Because in Cygnus 2, Negative Feedback in the Uber model defaults to 100.

small bump here.

I made this clip with my Uber Rev Green, and I'd love to be able to replicate the tone in Fractal:

Euro Uber defaults to NFB on 10.00. I believe the pot tapers have been "corrected" so if I adjust by ear, to get close to the same amount of brightness, I have to pretty much max the treble knob. At this point, its still just sounds REALLY different and its hard to know if its a pot taper thing, a negative feedback thing, or something else. In this situation, I'd much prefer the pot tapers to react like the real amp does, no matter how dumb the choices might be. The tapers are part of the design and its something that offers familiarity to using the real amp. The choice of them leads you to use the amp in a certain way. I can get great tones out of Euro Uber by just dialling it in by ear. But its just a generic amp at that point to me, I'm not really dialling it in like I would an Uberschall.

Would love to know if there is a parameter to adjust to make it sound more like a Rev Green (or even Rev Blue).

After trying with FM-3, I tried quickly with Helix and STL again and they can both get close enough without much work. The Rev Green (and Blue to an extent) is really the Uber sound many are familiar with as they were made in bigger numbers than the very early units. Maybe its not possible with the current model, but hopefully we can figure out a way of getting it there.

@MirrorProfiles Identical experience here. I had an Uberschall Rev Blue for 3 years but had to put it out for different reasons. It wasn't long until I started to miss this beast of an amp...
I got my Axe FX III in February 2023 and Euro Uber was one of the first models I tried trying to heal the wound caused by the loss haha A good friend of mine has the Rev Green but the model sounded quite different to both Rev Green and Rev Blue and it has been impossible for me to get close with the fractal model. Although the model doesn't sound bad at all, it's not a model that I use very often to be honest. It sounds more congested/compressed than the real amp and even the amp model controls don't react the same way, especially the Presence one.

Hopefully at some point we can get closer to the real amp...I´m really interested in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom