Blue Headphones?

Pwrmac7600

Power User
Anyone out there using them? What do you use, the powered or passive?

If you are running powered, how are you sending signal to them? Can you use the headphone out found on most interfaces since it is a powered headphone out?
Thinking about picking up a pair, but still on the fence. Let's hear some real world experience with them.

I've had the Blue MoFi powered for a few years, but I don't really use that function. That being said, I love them. They work fine with all the various headphone interfaces I use (Apollo Quad, ART Headamp Pro, Korg Kronos, Roland TD30). They also sound fine with iphones, ipads, etc. That's the reason for the built in amp. I just don't use premium headphones with my consumer devices, so that benefit is a bit lost on me. I just recently added a second pair of the Lola (non-powered) for my drum room. Great headphones for the price, although there are many comparable sets from other manufacturers out there.

I've had the Blue MoFi powered for a few years, but I don't really use that function. That being said, I love them. They work fine with all the various headphone interfaces I use (Apollo Quad, ART Headamp Pro, Korg Kronos, Roland TD30). They also sound fine with iphones, ipads, etc. That's the reason for the built in amp. I just don't use premium headphones with my consumer devices, so that benefit is a bit lost on me. I just recently added a second pair of the Lola (non-powered) for my drum room. Great headphones for the price, although there are many comparable sets from other manufacturers out there.

So If you aren't using the powered function on the mofi, would that not essentially turn them into the passive version?

I've got a set that I use at work for music. They work fine with the AxeFXII, but I don't need powered headphones with it and I have a 15 year old pair of Sennheisers that are still my old go to set of cans. They're just super broken in and I am used to their sound signature. Plus the cable is exactly the right length and just falls perfectly (those types of things matter to me).

The thing that is great about the MoFi's is that they are really good at isolation (both in and out) and with the amp they can get to stupid levels with no problem even with a small tablet or phone. I don't know if there is a set of headphones that give you more for the price, but they are big, they are relatively heavy and at least on my big melon they get a bit tight. I don't wear glasses, but I did try them with a set of indoor computer glasses (to help with the lighting at work) and it was a no-go. Just way too much tension even with it backed all the way off. I used to carry them back and forth to work and even bought a hard-ish shell case for them, but because they don't fold down I had to switch to a backpack and it takes up a lot of space. I just lock them up in my desk these days and leave them there.

I love them, but I don't think that they are for everyone and they do have their idiosyncrasies.

Oh yeah, my first set failed (the power amp died) and Blue replaced them within a week with no questions. Their customer support is extremely good, but it did get me worrying about the longevity of them with the amp being internal. On a side note I gave my son a pair of Beats Executives that are also amplified (2AA batteries) and they failed after a while and Beats (or whoever owns them now) replaced them with no questions at all.

And to answer your question, yes they will work without the amp being turned on, but it is not going to be as good unless it is something with some power to drive them. Portable devices and PC's are not great without the power amp.

One more thing and I swear I'll quit. They are closed which is what I prefer because they don't bleed to the outside environment, but you are definitely wearing headphones with these and everything that goes with that comes into play. Open back headphones will give you the feeling of space a lot better, but they are open. A friend at work is a real audiophile and has dozens of headphones that he cycles through and for my money the best and most natural sounding set for the money are probably the AKG 7xx (can't remember the exact model) with a little tube headphone amp (the AKG's can be found for the $200-250 range if you look....Massdrop....). It's like not wearing anything at all and the sense of depth and dimension is ridiculous. The bad parts are that they do have to be driven (although the AxeFXII's headphone jack is ridiculously powerful so you may be fine there), but they also bleed to the point that he can't really use them at work without everyone within 40 feet hearing them.

The Blues are well built, have great support, sound great and work with just about anything you can plug them into. They are in the price range that they are for a reason, but there aren't perfect. If you don't mind a few of those things I noted you will likely love them.

I have the powered ones and love them. The weight doesn't concern me in any way.

Recharging is quick and they operate for a long time without recharging.

I always use its amplifier and my presets sound excellent through them.

@yek @shasha I am planning on running it from the headphone out on my Digi003 rack. what I am curious about is since my Digi003 has a built in headphone amp with volume control, how do I run the level on my Digi as to not overdrive the input of the amp in the headphones?

I recently picked up a pair of Blue Mofis and have been using them for 2 months or so.

They're fantastic, Passive or powered mode. I really enjoy them.

I am in the market for some cans. The mofis look very enticing but thinking , do I really need powered headphones? can anyone comment on the Blue Lola's ? same sound quality basically?

I have the Blue Lola's and I love them. I have never tried the active MoFi's. The pair I had before were the Audio Technica ATH-M50x's and they were almost as good. I find the Lola's a bit more comfortable and clearer, although I would recommend the Audio Technica's as well if cost is a big concern.

I was just looking into the Audio Technica ATH-M50x's. about a hundred bucks difference. If there is a substantial difference in quality of sound, I'd prolly go the Blue route. Also form! think how pretentious I can look with a set of those sweet white cans on my melon at the local café.

I see Blue is coming out with some wireless headphones this year. The design looks completely different. Not sure about the specs...

my neck hurts ...(when i wear mofi cans)...but i got a weak neck... got it about a week back....(enjoy the veal , I'm here all week)

Back
Top Bottom