Blue Headphones?

Mofi are solid. I mix on them when I need to be quite and the mixes translate pretty well when I go back to studio monitors.

I'm out. I finally had a chance to see them up close and more importantly put them on my head. Litmus test fail. It can sound like a choir of angels singing but that weight! feels like a small monkey riding your head. Not that I have a frame of reference for that. Any recommendations? There are no Lola's to sample locally but the specs indicate the weight is still way up there. I'm thinking the Audio Technica ATH-M50X or something similar. If you know of a pair that is much better within that range please share...

I'm out. I finally had a chance to see them up close and more importantly put them on my head. Litmus test fail. It can sound like a choir of angels singing but that weight! feels like a small monkey riding your head. Not that I have a frame of reference for that. Any recommendations? There are no Lola's to sample locally but the specs indicate the weight is still way up there. I'm thinking the Audio Technica ATH-M50X or something similar. If you know of a pair that is much better within that range please share...
Closed or open?

No personal experience with the Audio Technica ATH-M50X but their reputation is stellar. The Beyer DT-770 (closed) is a no brainer and the DT-880 (open) is amazeballs. Then there's the Sennheiser HD600, which WILL sound like a choir of angels.

I was hoping to try the DT -770/880 but the store I was at didn't have any in. I bought the ATH-M50X and gave them a listen for a bit last night. Bought the white pair. nice looking cans and sound nice but bit disappointed with the bass being slightly hyped. I may see if I can exchange them for the DT's or something else. I want to be able to mix with them and the bass on these worries me.

Looking at the AKG K550's also...

Last edited:
I was hoping to try the DT -770/880 but the store I was at didn't have any in. I bought the ATH-M50X and gave them a listen for a bit last night. Bought the white pair. nice looking cans and sound nice but bit disappointed with the bass being slightly hyped. I may see if I can exchange them for the DT's or something else. I want to be able to mix with them and the bass on these worries me.

Looking at the AKG K550's also...
The ATH-M50X & DT-770 are a closed design better suited for tracking, whereas the DT-880 and HD-600 are open-back and ideal for mixing, assuming you have a decent environment to do it in. That's not to say you can't mix on the ATH-M50X, or the Sony MDR-7506s... a lot of people do.

FYI, I tried the DT-990s and while the imaging and soundstage was simply amazing, they are too scooped for most music I listen to and the top end, while not harsh, is VERY (too) prominent. I'm waffling between the DT-880 and HD-600s atm.

The ATH-M50X & DT-770 are a closed design better suited for tracking, whereas the DT-880 and HD-600 are open-back and ideal for mixing, assuming you have a decent environment to do it in. That's not to say you can't mix on the ATH-M50X, or the Sony MDR-7506s... a lot of people do.

FYI, I tried the DT-990s and while the imaging and soundstage was simply amazing, they are too scooped for most music I listen to and the top end, while not harsh, is VERY (too) prominent. I'm waffling between the DT-880 and HD-600s atm.

Thanks, that's really helpful info. I never really appreciated the difference between open vs closed and application specific purposes (tracking vs mixing). basically justifying more gear purchases haha.

Thanks, that's really helpful info. I never really appreciated the difference between open vs closed and application specific purposes (tracking vs mixing). basically justifying more gear purchases haha.
There's little worse than those "aha" moments when you hear a REALLY GOOD sounding set of monitors or headphones and realizing everythng you own is sh%# ;)

I just picked up a pair of Lola headphones to replace my beloved DT-770s. I don't like them as much for general listening as my Beyer cans - the high end roll off is noticeable, and the overall sound seems to lose something. For guitar playing with the Axe they definitely sound awesome though. I'm having some fit & comfort issues too, which also make me not want to use them for general listening.

For what it's worth, I tried both the MoFi and Lola models in the store before purchasing. Not the best listening environment, but I didn't notice an appreciable difference between the Lola and MoFi's unpowered mode.

For what it's worth, I tried both the MoFi and Lola models in the store before purchasing. Not the best listening environment, but I didn't notice an appreciable difference between the Lola and MoFi's unpowered mode.
There is no difference. The MoFi is essentially a powered Lola.

I've been using the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x open back cans for about a year with my AX8 and they sound great. Really comfy and can be worn for hours without fatigue. I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom