Blocks Library blank

carloszeke

Experienced
If this came up before, enlighten me (again);
I use custom settings stored in the Blocks Library in several different blocks, for every preset I write. Occasionally, I modify a preset, or just verify a particular setting. When I select a preset, and then select a block that uses a custom setting, I expect the user-name displayed in the BL window, but I don’t. In addition, if I click in the window, I should see (within the list) a check mark next to what is currently loaded. I don’t. This throws me for a loop and interrupts my workflow. Is this the case with other users?

Hi carloszeke;

You're right!
I share that request.
I wrote that a few months before in a posting, describing some problems with Edit and Bot.

===================================================================
Original text of my posting:
2) Axe-Edit doesn't save and later load the choosen Block-Library device.
I.e. I have created a "Phase90" phaser clone and saved it to the library.
I take a preset, insert a phaser block, assign it to my created library-phaser in Axe-Edit and save the preset.
In the pulldown menu I can see the name "Phase90".
OK; then ....
... quit Axe-Edit
... start Axe-Edit
Connect to Axe II and load the preset.
Choose phaser block and look on the left side on the pulldown menu.
What will you see?
Nothing
Empty pulldown-menu.

Differently from that, the settings of this phaser-block are correct and comply to my own created phaser.
Axe-Edit only doesn't reload the related name.
===================================================================

I also would be happy, if that kind of behaviour would be changed.

Best regards!
Mike

I think you guys may be looking at this the wrong way. My understanding of this is that the blocks library is for storing block settings to your computer. It does not save the block, it saves the settings for the block. In order to save multiple versions of the same block you are allowed to name these block settings. The preset/block knows nothing about the files on your hard drive. When you save a block library, Axe-Edit saves the settings for the particular block to a file on your computer. When you later select that block library from your computer, Axe-Edit loads the settings from that particular block library file into the corresponding block in Axe-Edit and therefore on the Axe-Fx. The name of the block library in Axe-Edit is only there so you can select different files. The block in the preset is not linked somehow to the file on your computer, the file is simply used to load the settings. And remember, Axe-Edit is just an interface for the Axe-Fx. It simply shows the preset loaded in the Axe-Fx. How would the Axe-Fx know what file you had selected on your computer when your not connected to Axe-Edit on your computer? It can't, but it doesn't need to because it only cares about the settings for the block, not where those settings came from. The file name and location is not stored in the Axe-Fx preset and it wouldn't really make sense to do so. It would be a waste of space to store it in the preset because it doesn't really "do" anything. The only thing that matters to the Axe-Fx is the current settings stored in the block in the preset. Hopefully, this made sense.

I think you guys may be looking at this the wrong way.

Actually Rich, we are not looking at this the wrong way! We are looking at this from a users perspective. First of all, this thread appeared in the AXE EDIT WISH LIST. I was unsure if this issue was by design, or only with my system. mrgodin and I weren't born yesterday. It is YOU who is missing the point of the discussion. The preset DOES store the current library settings, (not all of the ones on the list) otherwise, I'd have to reload it from the list every time. what it does not do is INDICATE which one is loaded. The code written into firmware to accomplish this is no more complicated than the existing code that spells out the preset's name. If you click in the BL window, the LIST is THERE, but there's no correlation as to where you currently are on that list. When a particular setting is loaded from the list, the user name is displayed. WHY can't that name remain there?? THAT is what doesn't make sense. (from the developers point of view, this is NOT rocket science)

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe you mistook my response but I was trying to help you understand the functionality and to explain why it probably works the way it does. I'm not sure why your so hostile with the bold an underlining. I'm a user also and I completely understand your wish/question/discussion and the answer is it is working as intended. I tried to explain it in my response but maybe it was not the clearest explanation. I suggest maybe try reading it again but I'll try your way and maybe it will help. The preset has no idea which block library you selected, it only knows the current settings of the block as they exist in the preset.

Also, I am a developer, and I can tell you that the code would be more complicated and also unnecessary. The preset stores the preset name which is internal to the preset. The block library is external to the preset since it exists on your computer. Since it's external to the preset, the preset needs to know more information to handle loading the block library then it does for the preset name. It needs to handle multiple OSs (Windows and Mac), it would need to know the path to your block library, and it would need to know/look up the list of all the files in your block library location. It would also need to handle any issues in changes to path, block library name, missing block libraries, etc. What would happen if the block library was not there? What would happen on my Axe-Fx/Axe-Edit if I loaded your preset and didn't have your block library saved? Or, if I'm on Windows and your on a Mac and we have different paths to those libraries? All of those issues would need to be handled if the preset were to actually load the block library. If it just loaded the name of the block library, that would tell you nothing because you could have changed the name or the settings of the block library since the last time you saved the preset (maybe while working on another preset), so what good would that be? You might think you were using the latest but maybe you never updated the settings in this preset since you changed them in the other preset. You have none of those issues with the preset name, so it is more complicated.

And, as I mentioned, the information is also unnecessary. Axe-Edit doesn't need it and the Axe-Fx doesn't need it. Is it something you want? Apparently, based on your posts, but it's not required for the Axe-Fx to produce the correct sound. Whether the name is there or not the axe-Fx has the correct settings for the block, as you mentioned above

This functionality has been there for a while and this thread has had over 70 views and, so far, you two are the only ones who either aren't happy or don't understand the functionality. This is not a knock on you, I understand if you don't like how it works but that's not between you and I. Based on your expectations in your original post, it appeared that you were not understanding the functionality correctly. I have been simply trying to help you understand how it functions and give you some insight into why it probably functions the way it does. If this is simply a wish then by all means wish away. I think I have done all I can here and since it appears that my help is/was not wanted anyway I will not post further to this thread.

Best of luck!

RichHowe explained it very well in his second paragraph above. It's not as simple as as loading the name in the preset data. Simply put, it would be a nightmare to keep the "named" block data on the Axe in sync with the block data in the library with the same name.

The functionality to do that was one of if not the main reason the original version of Axe-Edit (before the rewrite) was unable to be maintained in a timely manor. Although your wish would be nice I seriously doubt you will get it fulfilled.

No problem. I was just trying to shed some light since your version of the "developers point of view" isn't accurate.

The last thing I will say is that this whole thing was never supposed to be about who's right or wrong. Damn!…I'm sorry I ever brought the subject up. (Never again!)

The last thing I will say is that this whole thing was never supposed to be about who's right or wrong. Damn!…I'm sorry I ever brought the subject up. (Never again!)

Why are you getting so upset? Rich tried to explain that its not as simple a request as you implied with detailed explanations and you jumped all over him. I simply tried to inform you on the direction FAS took with the rewrite and that even though your wish would be cool it likely won't happen because it's not a trivial task. Nobody is disrespecting you in any way. Just trying to inform. I am truly sorry if I hurt your feelings.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you bringing the topic up and there is absolutely nothing wrong with others explaining why it most likely won't happen.

Last edited:
Hi folks;

Stay cool ;-)
No reason to be in a clash!

I think, RichHowe and the rest has described the primary problem very well.
I'm also working in the IT and software development;
My post was just a suggestion.
The different problems behind are well known to me.

So there are indeed two points of view:

- the developers view
- the users view

From the users view, it would be nice, to have the related NAME of the block from the block library.
It would make it a bit easier, to HANDLE the whole preset (i.e. I can also see, which other kinds of parameter-settings I've used).
That would be, also for me, nice.
Not more and not less than it is.

From the developers view, it's a bit more complicated.
To understand that, someone has to know something about software structures and especially the file structure of the Axe-presets.
And he has to consider, WHAT is stored WHERE.

So, to help carloszeke to understand, if hasn't yet (There is nothing wrong with! Perhaps you know and/or can do things, I or we cant't ;-) That's life and we have to live with),
the thing is, that we talk about the (preset)informations, stored in the Axe. That's important!

Axe-Edit does retrieve these informations when connected, and shows them in the editor.
In this (loaded) preset information, the USER-GIVEN NAME of the block, previously taken from the block library, is NOT saved,
When you load a block from the block library, you tell, at first the editor, later on by saving also the Axe, ONLY which parameter settings you want to adjust to the selected block.
ONLY the settings. Not the related, user-given, NAME!
So, if you load a preset from the Axe later on, Axe-Edit cannot know this name, undoubtedly.

Now, you could say, OK, but look at the cabs; all their names are shown in the editor; everytime I can see, which one I've chosen.
Right.
But ...
the names and the settings of the cabs are stored in the cab library in the Axe.
So, the parameter settings (of the cabs i.e.) AND THE NAMES are present the whole time;
IN THE AXE AND IN THE EDITOR, WHEN HE CONNECT ITSELF WITH THE AXE.
AND, there is space in the preset file, reserved for the CAB NAME, not only for the cab parameter settings.
That's the reason for the possibility to handle i.e. these names.

To make it possible, to handle block library names, you have to change the file structure of the preset file.
For now, the file has a fixed structure and length.
Also you would have to save the block library in the axe.
The list of names of the block library you can see, is either stored locally on your computer, or, when starting the software, will be fed into it.
But this list isn't in your Axe.
To store, for example, only the additional name (from block library) in the preset file, would make no sense, because there
will be no link to the file on the computer (and also to the related settings), when you load the preset into the Axe-Editor.
What is going on, when you change the settings of your library block on the Axe and load the preset into the editor?
The editor would show you the name "MXR Phase90" i.e, but not the correct settings ... and so on.

I will stop here, because it is a wide range of things to consider.
Finally it would be possible, to integrate the wish.
But prior, the developer would have to consider a lot of things, to implement it.

I hope, my remarks could additionally help a little bit to understand,
I have been right describing the Axe-details,
and everyone will appropriately take into consideration,
that I'm from germany;
so my native language isn't english ;-)

Best regards to all!
Axe is a killer <;-))))
But not of GOOD manners!

CU and bye
Mike

Yeah having all the blocks library within the Axe FX would be awesome, but for me personally since Axe Edit was redone and block support added, I don't ever tweak without Axe Edit.

I have a different experience though as many of my presets do actually display the block name but it is grayed out.

Good points mrgodin and I agree it would be nice to have. Based on your response, it actually sounds like your wish may be describing the Global Blocks functionality. If you could name the Global Blocks, which is a wish that comes up fairly often, then maybe that would give you what you need, except for the 10 block limitation and Axe-Edit compatibility. Maybe try using Global Blocks and find some of the older posts where others have already wished to be able to name Global Blocks and give it them a little bump :)

As an aside, I think the primary difference between the cabs and the block libraries is that each cab is different, you're not storing multiple versions of the same block, you're storing multiple cab files. So, it makes sense to use the Axe-Fx storage and resources to store multiple cab files. On the other hand, block libraries are different settings for the same block. Cliff currently allows you to store the same block 10 times with different settings (using Global Blocks), although you cannot name them like "MXR Phase90" or access them via Axe-Edit. I'm not sure if 10 of the same block is enough for you or not, obviously with block libraries you are only limited by your amount of disk space or the number of block libraries that Axe-Edit can display. But, if you can live with 10 different block settings for each block and are OK not being able to name them or access them through Axe-Edit, then maybe Global Blocks will work for you.

I don't know if there's any extra space in the Axe-Fx II to increase the number of Global Blocks or not, but since Cliff added extra memory to the XL, maybe he could possibly allocate some additional space to increase the number of Global Blocks for that. Or, if not, maybe it could be a consideration for the Axe-Fx III? Along with the ability to be able to name them and access them through Axe-Edit.

I apologize if I have offended anyone and I sincerely hope you all find a resolution that works for you. Best of luck to everyone!

... it actually sounds like your wish may be describing the Global Blocks functionality. If you could name the Global Blocks, which is a wish that comes up fairly often, then maybe that would give you what you need, except for the 10 block limitation and Axe-Edit compatibility. Maybe try using Global Blocks and find some of the older posts where others have already wished to be able to name Global Blocks and give it them a little bump :)
I apologize if I have offended anyone and I sincerely hope you all find a resolution that works for you. Best of luck to everyone!

Thank you Rich for the post!

First of all, indeed there are differences between user cabs and the block library.
But remember;
I've an Ultra as well. You have user cabs also there, but you can't give them a name.
This option cames later with the Axe II.
We all were happy (I think ;-)

Next step is the block library.
For me, the difference between cab and block isn't large.
Two cabs have different informations about an IR.
But the informations/structure of themselves (cab block) are always the same, so I think (I see the kind of data as an software developer).
Same things for the blocks.
They all share the same structure, but different setting informations.

So my conclusion is, to be able to name them makes sense for me (for easier handling).

The Global Block option would be a solution.
Not in the actual way, without the ability to give them a name.
And it should be possible, to store more than 10 ones.
And it would be also nessessary, to backup them to harddrive (like user cabs and all that stuff).

I think a lot of users would like to store some phasers, some drives, some choruses, some this and that ... as clone of real existing gear.

Now, let's wait and hope <|;-)))

The master of ceremony will certainly come to a decision, to realize another fine kind of extension ;-)

Best regards!
Mike

Back
Top Bottom