" Blocking Distortion " found in Trainwreck Express ......

ben ifin

Experienced

Hi rglr and Admin M@ !

Hope you are both well.

As well as the Tweed Deluxe Amp 96 in FW 5.02B1 "blocking distortion" issue which I reported a week or so ago - I have now also found it in Amp 293 "Wrecker Express" - please see Scene 3 in the attached preset.

It is especially noticeable when played with a single coil strat in the bridge in the higher frets on the high B and high E string - I reverted back and forth between FW 5.01B and 5.02B1 and like with the Tweed Deluxe, its not there in the previous FW but is there in the current FW 5.02B1.

All the best,
Ben

Attachments

• TWreck Block Distortion Scene 3.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
That amp exhibits a lot of blocking distortion (in the phase inverter) due to its design. You can reduce this via either the PI Bias Excursion or Master Bias Excursion parameters.

Another option is to use the FAS Express model which puts some resistors between the last triode stage and the PI to reduce the bias excursion.

That amp exhibits a lot of blocking distortion (in the phase inverter) due to its design. You can reduce this via either the PI Bias Excursion or Master Bias Excursion parameters.

Another option is to use the FAS Express model which puts some resistors between the last triode stage and the PI to reduce the bias excursion.

Many thanks :)

Ben

I much prefer the FAS Express model. I don’t understand why people like Trainwreck amps. The blocking distortion drives me crazy.

Please educate me on what is "blocking distortion", thank you!
Basically it is when a grid on a tube is driven positive by an input signal. In normal tubes the grid has to be negative to the cathode in order for it to amplify properly, blocking distortion is when the tube is cut off for part of the waveform due to the positive drive. The grid will draw a bit of current when it is driven positive as well. It's a unique tone that some folks like and if you've been around tube amps long enough, you know it when you hear it. I spent a lot of my tube amp modifying time tuning that stuff out. Ugh...

I recently tried out the FAS Wreck preset on a whim out of ABs Gold collection and had a "wow!" moment. Currently am obsessed with it. It sounds amazing, and the clean-up just by rolling back the volume knob is fantastic, it truly feels like a real tube amp, chime and all, totally loving it!!

Back
Top Bottom