Blindtest: FW9 vs FW11

DTS

Experienced
Fractal forum have had some talk about which firmware version is "better". So i decided to make a little blindtest. I won't tell you which sample is which firmware. Just pick your favourite.

You first hear SAMPLE-A with drums, then SAMPLE-B with drums. After that you'll hear SAMPLE-A guitars only and then SAMPLE-B guitars only.
Guitar tracks are double tracked and hard panned to L and R.

Both amps have the same factory settings and cabs, but of course the FW9 version have to have these changes done:

-MIMIC™ to off
-Triode hardness to 0.0
-Increase transformer matching to 1.2 or so
-Set power supply type to DC
-V9 Cabs

You can comment which one you like or think is FW9 or FW11.

I'll let you know which sample is FW9 and which is FW11 later. :encouragement:

I don't get it, is it all FW1 but one sample with "MIMIC™ to off
-Triode hardness to 0.0
-V9 Cabs" or is it really FW9 and FW11 used ?

I prefer first one...
It sounds clearer, more dynamic .
I have the same effect when bypassing mimic, triode hardness at zero...

I don't get it, is it all FW1 but one sample with "MIMIC™ to off
-Triode hardness to 0.0
-V9 Cabs" or is it really FW9 and FW11 used ?

Yes. This is all done from fw11, but as Cliff have said. Making those changes you'll get the fw9 tone.

Not exactly. I think people may not recognize this as a valid test.

I trust Cliffs word on this. If he says, that those are the parameters that differ between the firmwares, i have no reason to doubt it. But i do see your point. At this point it is obvious, that those parameters change the tone a lot.

I trust Cliffs word on this.

me too. technically he said "You can make V11 sound nearly identical to V9 with just a few adjustments." i think to those who want to argue, the "nearly" is enough to say the test is invalid because the "nearly" is missing that magic that made 9 sound better than 11 as a "fact."

now, someone's preference of 9 vs 11 is a whole different story. anyone can prefer anything. it's the people who have stated that 9 IS in fact better than 11 (in effect making the axe worse with 11) i have issue with.

again, it seems that v12 will solve all of this silliness.

Reactions: DTS
In the full mix, I couldn't really tell where the A sample ended and the B sample began ? But "solo'ed" out I definitely preferred A over B ... !

Back
Top Bottom