Blank preset makes sound?

Musikron

Experienced
So while trying to get up to date on my FM9 as far as programming my patches go, I've run across an interesting problem.
With my IEMs in, I've been hearing what sounds like a clean DI signal buried under my amp sounds. Upon disconnecting the output block and STILL hearing a DI guitar signal, I loaded a blank preset expecting silence. Instead I get the same DI guitar signal that's been messing up all my presets!
I'm glad to have finally figured out why nothing sounds right, but what is wrong and how to fix it I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Why is there a di guitar signal bleeding I to my fm9 that I can't seem to get rid of?

Using output 1 for my IEM.

I'd normally have my studio live 16.4.2 between the fm9 and IEM, but I took the FM9 and IEM transmitter home to work on stuff this week. So output 1 is straight to my IEM transmitter, nothing is coming back. I do have FM9 edit going but that shouldn't make that happen right?

I'd normally have my studio live 16.4.2 between the fm9 and IEM, but I took the FM9 and IEM transmitter home to work on stuff this week. So output 1 is straight to my IEM transmitter, nothing is coming back. I do have FM9 edit going but that shouldn't make that happen right?
Does this happen on all presets, or just your own?

No it shouldn’t… but audio does travel over the USB. Maybe* some software on your computer is monitoring (your DI guitar signal goes over USB inputs 5 and 6). Next time you’re messing with it, unplug the USB and see if it goes away(?)

It happens on all presets, including a factory blank one.
If I turn the FM9 off I get nothing in my ears.
If I unplug the USB it goes away. If I turn off the computer running FM9 edit it goes away even while USB is plugged in.

It happens on all presets, including a factory blank one.
If I turn the FM9 off I get nothing in my ears.
If I unplug the USB it goes away. If I turn off the computer running FM9 edit it goes away even while USB is plugged in.
Cool. Now we know that your errant DI signal is coming from your computer. Next step: figure out what bit of software is doing it. Are you running a DAW?

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got input monitoring turned on for USB inputs 5 and/or 6. Make sure that is turned off in all of your audio software. The signal there comes directly from Input 1 and the USB monitoring return goes directly to Output 1, so no blocks are needed on the grid for that to work.

Cool. Now we know that your errant DI signal is coming from your computer. Next step: figure out what bit of software is doing it. Are you running a DAW?
Sounds like you've got input monitoring turned on for USB inputs 5 and/or 6. Make sure that is turned off in all of your audio software. The signal there comes directly from Input 1 and the USB monitoring return goes directly to Output 1, so no blocks are needed on the grid for that to work.
Winner winner chicken dinner!
I did have the DAW open in the background (I have this computer configured to automatically load my DAW for recording rehearsals, live shows, and streaming performances) and don't normally have the FM9 connected via USB, as it's configured to hook up with my Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2. Somehow (I did reamp some bass tracks for my brother a few weeks back) it was feeding the DI back through USB and well, the rest you know.
I think the solution is to come up with another profile I can use with different configuration settings for the Fractal vs the Presonus to prevent this in the future.
Thanks for your help!

I just have to say, I was reading this thread out of curiosity, not because it was going to help me at all. But the way these forum members were able to help diagnose the issue, and the kindness in doing so, was just really awesome to see! This forum has been such a big benefit to me in the past 10 years, and guys like @mr_fender , @Rex , @Admin M@ , @dicXjonesify , and @pedalbuilder are just a few examples of how cool most people are here. Mind = blown

Back
Top Bottom