Black Sabbath said goodbye

I think one of the best "Ozzy" albums is Speak of the Devil... :)

I liked Bark at the Moon for what it was - but I weaned off of Ozzy after the 1st 2 albums with Zakk.

I always found it suspect that in Sabbath it was Tony who wrote almost all the songs and Geezer who wrote almost all the lyrics, Ozzy suddenly became this prolific writer of good songs on his own from the first album on.
In Tony's "Iron Man" book he explains the creative process this way: Tony made the dark riffs, Geezer the unreal lyrics.
It always amazed me that Ozzy even followed the riff line while singing, Dio was more "pure singer" and went beyond the riff IMHO.
I recommend Tony's book, I think that is genuine and reflects his own words (he uses the word bloody a lot hehe)

You lucky dog. Damn.
An era gone forever. We are the last of our kind. Our rock heros of yesteryear should be happy though , because it was us that bought their music on 5 different formats , since the release

The only format I never got into, although it was still popular at the time was 8-track.
Yeah I have been fortunate in the time I grew up, other highlights (for me). I had seen Ozzy's Blizzard of Oz tour with Randy Rhoads, I forget off hand but there was a short tour in 1982-ish Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton they all did there own sets and then a set together. Billy Idol Rebel Yell tour, that sealed the deal I am a Steve Stevens fan forever. Duran Duran great live band and 90% of the audience girls (not a bad deal).
Steve Vai doing a benefit for Saint Jude's hospital, small venue in Levittown around 1992. Watching Steve from 10 feet away is larger than life. Prince, Purple Rain that was another got to see that one three time's.

That's just few off the top of my head, have to go to work now.

John

The only format I never got into, although it was still popular at the time was 8-track.
Yeah I have been fortunate in the time I grew up, other highlights (for me). I had seen Ozzy's Blizzard of Oz tour with Randy Rhoads, I forget off hand but there was a short tour in 1982-ish Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton they all did there own sets and then a set together. Billy Idol Rebel Yell tour, that sealed the deal I am a Steve Stevens fan forever. Duran Duran great live band and 90% of the audience girls (not a bad deal).
Steve Vai doing a benefit for Saint Jude's hospital, small venue in Levittown around 1992. Watching Steve from 10 feet away is larger than life. Prince, Purple Rain that was another got to see that one three time's.

That's just few off the top of my head, have to go to work now.

John

Ugh , you bastard. You couldn't leave it with a single event for jealousy. Lol.
I was actually just a pip squeak when regular listening of rock music became an everyday occurrence. Having older siblings set the stage. Now at 45 , I was too young to see my rock heros in their prime. I do remember having a portable 8 track player in 2nd grade , and turning other little peeps on to rocknroll music. Good times.

The first time I had seen Sabbath was the Never Say Die tour with this new band opening they were called Van Halen. (Yep that was a while ago). Next time with Dio for the Mob Rules. That show was just one of the best I have ever seen of any band! And the next time was with Ian Gillian, another great show! This show was a little extra fun since it fell on Halloween night and there was something cool very cool with Sabbath doing Smoke on the Water.

John
I saw them on that tour, Sept 15 in Richfield (Cleveland), sitting in the front row! Amazing show.

Back
Top Bottom