Biting Fuzz

hoth

Inspired
Anyone have recommendations for a real biting fuzz like at the beginning of smashing pumpkins' Rocket or Zero. It doesn't seem to be a Pi fuzz. The face fuzz is a bit closer but still not right. The one area that I would love some development in is the pedals. Moar moar please.

Yes. PI FUZZ Drive at 100% Tone ~7.5 Level ~7.5 Hard going into a rough amp (I used the wrecker ~2.5 drive. From here it's an EQ and space/room game. You can change the eq using the amp eq. I used 5 band with 0, 3.3, -8, 0, 8 into a stereo amp with a 1x12 and a 1x15 but keep playing with the mix until something sounds good. 75% room, 33% mic spacing low percentage studio reverb panned about 2 o'clock.

Note that Rocket has at least two guitars in the beginning even though you can get close with one. It's a layered texture so one preset won't quite do it.

Also, the fuzz into a higher gain amp produces a lot of noise so I used a fairly aggressive gate (not a block but the input gate).

Maybe more development is needed in the pedals but I've found that the right balance of drive, amp, and cab (and all of the eq in between) covers quite a bit even if an exact component isn't modeled.

Reactions: Rex
Thanks guys. Will try these suggestions tomorrow and report back.

Let us know how it worked out for you! I think a snarly JCM800 and the Pi fuzz will get you there, this is one of the tones I thought was easier to nail with the Axe.

Yes. PI FUZZ Drive at 100% Tone ~7.5 Level ~7.5 Hard going into a rough amp (I used the wrecker ~2.5 drive. From here it's an EQ and space/room game. You can change the eq using the amp eq. I used 5 band with 0, 3.3, -8, 0, 8 into a stereo amp with a 1x12 and a 1x15 but keep playing with the mix until something sounds good. 75% room, 33% mic spacing low percentage studio reverb panned about 2 o'clock.

Note that Rocket has at least two guitars in the beginning even though you can get close with one. It's a layered texture so one preset won't quite do it.

Also, the fuzz into a higher gain amp produces a lot of noise so I used a fairly aggressive gate (not a block but the input gate).

Maybe more development is needed in the pedals but I've found that the right balance of drive, amp, and cab (and all of the eq in between) covers quite a bit even if an exact component isn't modeled.

This worked really well. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I was putting the fuzz into an already distorted Marshall which smoothed it out too much. When I used a cleaner amp (like the Wrecker) with just a tiny bit of hair with the Pi fuzz all the way up, I got much closer to that biting searing fuzz that I was looking for. I am going to continue experimenting with this setup but your settings were an excellent starting point. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom