Big, slow and heavy riffage. FW15.03. OwnHammer IR mix. Tracked thru UBK Fatso.

Fortunately, I don't like black and white things so much. I'm more of a grey area kinda guy. :)

Tuning is Drop Ab!

Thanks for all the kind words! I have lots of ideas on what to do with this next... lots of room for cool stuff. Expect something in the not too distant future. A future of slightly more black and white things.

Are you kidding me? Koalas are scary as hell. Sure, you see youtube videos of them coming up and drinking out of people's bottles and hoses, but let me tell you... that's just for giggles. They'd straight eat you if they could.

32S

Crushingly heavy. Palm mutes have the same kind of vibe that Volbeat has on some of their production, and im not trying to be negative with this if you don't like 'em, your sound i think is better, but the "swell" feel of the mutes. It's like a little volume sweep in front of each pm, i've always wondered how that is done. I don't know if that's something that only i pick up :D Works like a charm to me :)

Fortunately, I don't like black and white things so much. I'm more of a grey area kinda guy. :)

Tuning is Drop Ab!

Thanks for all the kind words! I have lots of ideas on what to do with this next... lots of room for cool stuff. Expect something in the not too distant future. A future of slightly more black and white things.

Wow Drop Ab on a six string? Is it a baritone? In any case it sounds amazing!

Wow Drop Ab on a six string? Is it a baritone? In any case it sounds amazing!

David Maxim Simic use this tuning all the time (If you don't know him You shall :) ... ) with a regular Ibanez .
In a funny youtube interview for Got-Djent says I came to that tuning because "I did'nt have enough money to buy a 7strings ."
I must say that when 7/8 ears ago I started changing tuning on my guitar and find new ways , my songwriting had a great enhancement . Tuning is the big limitation for the guitar architecture itself and the phisiology of our hands .
Making wider intervals between strings helps to sound easier "unconventional" maybe due to the different octave over the "standard triads" we can afford usually

Thanks Ben! Most of that is coming from the bass (5 string BTB), actually. I can upload the patch in a bit tho!

Really nice sounding mix ! Huge !

I want to try your mix recipe ... It's curious because I have a similar recipe but with a Diezel 8 Ohm and a Mesa En !

Did you record your bass track trough the BK7 straight the Axe or direct ?

Crushingly heavy. Palm mutes have the same kind of vibe that Volbeat has on some of their production, and im not trying to be negative with this if you don't like 'em, your sound i think is better, but the "swell" feel of the mutes. It's like a little volume sweep in front of each pm, i've always wondered how that is done. I don't know if that's something that only i pick up :D Works like a charm to me

I totally hear what you are saying and I am always after that same thing. I’ve never gotten it quite as good as when I’ve added some real “iron” to the signal patch such as this example. I’ve gotten close with just some speaker drive but never quite there. I think it’s a combo of real transformer saturation or “circuit bending” and speaker drive… that subtle compression that adds some thickness and more roundness to the transients. Also adds a bit of pulse or movement to the palms mutes. I definitely think I’ve found a signal path that works for me for heavy guitars. :)

The bass is:
BTB 5 string ->B7K –> axeFx ampeg patch -> UBK Fatso (modded Empircal Labs Fatso Jr) with the transformer barely tickling red on occasion. Actually, the bass is the area I really want to improve on here as I’m not stoked on it. I have a set of Kaliums on tap for the next recording. We’ll see if that helps :)

The guitar scale is 26.5" :)

Thanks for all the kind words!!

Hmm.. have you listened to kyuss?

Hmm.. have you listened to Gardenia?

It reminds me of it (specifically the riff from 5:38 on), crossed with Meshuggah, crossed with Rammstein. There's a huge off kilter groove there. You don't get that vibe, I take it?

Last edited:
Wow, wish I had a Fatso to try this with. I'll have to experiment with adding the UAD plugin to the input chain when recording.

Excellent tone (and composition)!

Wow, wish I had a Fatso to try this with. I'll have to experiment with adding the UAD plugin to the input chain when recording.

Excellent tone (and composition)!

Hey thanks man!

I think you will find a benefit once you find that sweet sport of harmonic distortion.

That. Was. Awesome.

I also have a Ibanez BTB 5string, still with standard tuning. Rocko, can you advise on bass string gauges for that tuning? Thx!

Back
Top Bottom