Big, slow and heavy riffage. FW15.03. OwnHammer IR mix. Tracked thru UBK Fatso.

erockomania

Experienced

I wanted to see how far I could push the UBK fatso for guitar tones and bass tones. Quite a lot of saturation here... maybe a touch too much, but I kinda like it :)

A song may come of it, but for now it's just an idea with a fair mix.

Skervesen Raptor 6
Bareknuckle Aftermaths
Axe-FX2 FAS MODERN patch
OwnHammer custom IRs (high gain essentials mix)
Ibanez BTB 5 string bass thru Darkglass B7K
Superior Drummer with Metal Foundry
Slate Digital VCC and VTM

All guitars and bass tracked through the UBK Fatso pushed pretty damn hard.

The saturation is AWESOME!!! I love that kind of sound and the bass mix is nice and THICK. Save the preset and don't loose it.

That tone, especially the palm mutes, crushes. The saturation is pretty much exactly where it should be.

Most djent tones sound pretty grating to me honestly. Most of them are too mid range heavy, too "present" sounding, and not saturated enough, and as a result they have this thin, obnoxious "honk, honk honk, kong kong kong, honk" sound to them that just seems like they're trying way too hard to be heavy and brutal sounding, but failing. I guess what I'm saying is that most djent tones sound like a skinny 13-year-old puffing up his chest to try to intimidate, and it comes off as kind of pathetic.

Your tone in that clip is huge though. The saturation makes the tone very smooth and does a lot to tame what would have been a thin high end, and it adds a great thickness to the sound that makes the guitars feel very wide and in charge. They don't sound like they've been artificially forced to the front of the mix to scream "hey guys look at me look how tough I am grrrrrrr" because they don't have to be. They sit comfortably where they are.

Amazing tone.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! :)

Strings: Curt Mangan Nickel Wound 11-64. A custom set I had them make for me. The tension is pretty balanced.

All my songs are always double tracked. I feel like things get a bit "sloppier" when quad tracked unless it's just strummed.

That tone, especially the palm mutes, crushes. The saturation is pretty much exactly where it should be.

Most djent tones sound pretty grating to me honestly. Most of them are too mid range heavy, too "present" sounding, and not saturated enough, and as a result they have this thin, obnoxious "honk, honk honk, kong kong kong, honk" sound to them that just seems like they're trying way too hard to be heavy and brutal sounding, but failing. I guess what I'm saying is that most djent tones sound like a skinny 13-year-old puffing up his chest to try to intimidate, and it comes off as kind of pathetic.

Your tone in that clip is huge though. The saturation makes the tone very smooth and does a lot to tame what would have been a thin high, and it adds a great thickness to the sound. It makes the guitars feel very wide and in charge. They don't sound like they've been artificially forced to the front of the mix to scream "hey guys look at me look how tough I am grrrrrrr" because they don't have to be. They sit comfortably where they are.

Amazing tone.

Totally agreed about "djent" tones. I try not to fall into that category :)

and thank you!

Last edited:
Warning. I had headphones on turned up fairly loudly and decided to press play on that clip.

Now when I speak I have a slur and I can't feel my legs. I think that my head may have been crushed a bit because of the fluid leaking out of my ears now.

Needs more saturation. :)

Warning. I had headphones on turned up fairly loudly and decided to press play on that clip.

Now when I speak I have a slur and I can't feel my legs. I think that my head may have been crushed a bit because of the fluid leaking out of my ears now.

Needs more saturation. :)

lol!!!

I absolutely love the low end you're getting here. I'd really like to take a look at your patch (or even just hear the raw guitar tracks).

I keep coming back to listen to this. It's got pace, power and good arrangement, thrashy, polyrhythms.... Dude, you have GOT to do something more with this. The last time I kept coming back like this was to Progressive Rocco's album which is exceptional.

This is huge!!! I can't believe what I just heard. Man that is the best thing I've heard in a while. Thick tone with just the right amount of grit and twang. Super uber brutal!! This is an album ready tone for sure.

I would buy this track in a heart beat.

What tuning by the way?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom