Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones

KJR321

Just wondering who has used these? Do you have pro or premium version? Do you need a headphone amplifier with the 250 ohm version while using with axe-fx II XL? Would you recommend them? Tried Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and didn't like them.

Been going through a headphone search for awhile now. I have the Axe-fx XL and its definitely a keeper (took a chance and bought a second after the first had noise issues). Play through Adam A7X and trying to find headphones that will sound as good. Surprisingly, I tried my bose sports earbuds and they sounded great. The axe-fx XL sounds terrific and feels so nice playing that I'm thinking of taking the protective cellophane off of the LCD screen; although, I've heard that it sounds better with the cellophane on. ;)

DT-880 PRO here, 250-ohm. The Axe-Fx has enough power to Headphone Out to drive the 250-ohm version, with the Headphone Out level set at 50-75% max. If you have the the chance, you might audition both the 250-ohm version and the 32-ohm version.

DT-880 PRO here, 250-ohm. The Axe-Fx has enough power to Headphone Out to drive the 250-ohm version, with the Headphone Out level set at 50-75% max. If you have the the chance, you might audition both the 250-ohm version and the 32-ohm version.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else own these?

I also have the PROs and agree with xrist. There is a premium version but the PRO are the reference type best suited for Axe use. I got mine about a year ago for around $240 online. Worth it for me and comfortable. I replaced my screen protector with a PRO version as well. It does help. :?

Have the 600 ohm. Can definitely drive it with the Axe, but it is a little better with a dedicated amp.

I'm running the 880 Pro/250 ohm set direct off the Axe without an amplifier and am very pleased with them.

The AFX headphone amp is pretty amazing - watch your hearing 'cos it's very powerful. Plugging straight in was a revelation after the piece-of-crap mixer I had it plugged into. Realised I had programmed everything too bright (though that actually works well if you are going into amp>guitar speakers)

Used a set of 880 Pro's for years until they wore out. Now using AT M50x's which are very good, but not quite as comfy on the ears.

I also use the DT-880 Pro 250Kohm cans and find them ideal for use with the AxeFXII - be it direct from the Axe front panel or with a dedicated headphone amp.

FWIW: I found that my AxeFX II sounds more open without the protective plastic on the LCD screen. :D

ive been using them for about 3 months now and i have loved them up until recently. i have noticed that i get a hiss at the trailing end of palm mutes but im not sure if its the axe or the headphones or maybe something else. i am worried however as its become more prominent despite my entire rig remaining unchanged. its only the left headphone too so im a little worried.

Headphones don't cause hiss. What you described sounds exactly like a noise gate in need of a little tweaking.

Headphones don't cause hiss. What you described sounds exactly like a noise gate in need of a little tweaking.

I am really hoping so. It's just weird that it only happens in the left and it is going on while the note is happening. not below where the threshold would be for a gate. Have yet to play with it though. I just don't like the fact that nothing has changed. Maybe a cable or something...

It's just weird that it only happens in the left and it is going on while the note is happening. not below where the threshold would be for a gate.
It's not going on below the gate threshold because the gate cuts it off. Turn off your noise gate altogether and you should be able to hear the hiss in all its glory.

I just don't like the fact that nothing has changed. Maybe a cable or something...
Something has changed. Maybe a new source of noise nearby. Or a different preset, or new firmware with the global noise gate offset...or a cable. :)

Love my 880s. Very comfortable. Terrific sound. Also got Sony MDR headphones which clearly sound more 'hyped'.

They are 250 Ohms. I use them without a headphone amp at home.
When rehearsing with a JamHub I need a headphone amp, because we got a horn section.

Just wondering who has used these? Do you have pro or premium version? Do you need a headphone amplifier with the 250 ohm version while using with axe-fx II XL? Would you recommend them? Tried Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and didn't like them.

Been going through a headphone search for awhile now. I have the Axe-fx XL and its definitely a keeper (took a chance and bought a second after the first had noise issues). Play through Adam A7X and trying to find headphones that will sound as good. Surprisingly, I tried my bose sports earbuds and they sounded great. The axe-fx XL sounds terrific and feels so nice playing that I'm thinking of taking the protective cellophane off of the LCD screen; although, I've heard that it sounds better with the cellophane on. ;)

I use these but the 32 ohm so i don't need the amplifier. I recommend them. they color the sound a little but its a good coloring

I got a chance to try out the BoseQC19 (listening to music, not thru Axe though) and it sounded fantastic...
How does the Bose QC19 fare when compared to the Beyerdynamic-dt-880?
Does the Beyerdynamic also have noise cancellation?
Which is the one to go for, to use with the Axe, and to listen to music also?

I haven't tried the QC-19s, but my experience with other Bose products has been absolutely consistent. Bose targets the consumer market, not the studio market. Their products sound decent-to-good, never stellar, and not particularly accurate. As one reviewer put it, Bose's target customers are "guys in suits with belt-strapped iPod Classics."

Noise cancelling isn't something you look for in a studio headphone; it tends to mess with frequency response a bit.

Back
Top Bottom