Wish Better tuner for AX8 and other (AXE, FX)

The Edge

Hi friends from FA,
you should built into the AX8 much better tuner becouse existing tuner is slowly and inaccurate. The weakest link of first-class preamps of FA. The best option is the cooperation with Peterson tuners company. Their iStroboSoft aplication is perfect for this. When may exist their tuner software for Aple smartphones why not for Fractal Audio preamps? Any kind of Fractal Audio Preamp has the display like the smartphones. The excellent FA preamps with the precise Peterson tuner will be a perfect combination for all guitar players. The best with the best. :)
Merry Christmass and Happy New Year 2017 ( maybe with new tuner built into AXE, AX, FX). ;-)

The only improvement I could see is a long strobe light so you can tune from far away - this could be done with the input lights I imagine...
The left of the two lighting up the further below pitch you are, redder as you get further, and the right of the two doing the same for being sharp.

Last edited:
The AxeFX tuner is every bit as accurate and fast as any tuner I have ever used, and I've done a good range of comparisons. In the studio we have Peterson Strobe tuners... ACTUAL strobe tuners... plus the digital versions on multiple platforms. I've simultaneously run my guitar to both the Petersons and to the AxeFX. The accuracy and speed of response in the AxeFX version is at least as good, and with my Warr guitar, it's faster at detecting the pitch. I've also owned a long list of tuner pedals, some of which have displays that I prefer to the linear display on the MFC-101. For spot-checks between songs, the MFC-101 visualization is perfectly usable, fast, and accurate. When I'm dialing in the intonation after a setup, or really getting *perfectly* in tune (like down to a few cents), I use the strobe display in the AxeFX. I am super picky about my gear, and only use equipment that meets my needs. If the AxeFX tuner wasn't world class, I would be using an external tuner.

It has been on my list to do a thread search or post a question on this. I've had my AX8 for a couple of months....moving from an Axe II. I have no issue with the accuracy at all, but I have noticed some serious slowness only at certain times. What I mean by slowness is while tuning I'll pluck the string open or 12th fret harmonic and it takes the ball indicator several seconds to move to the new reading point. Kind of like a rising thermometer. I thought it was only when the USB was connected, but also happens during rehearsals with no USB plugged in. I tune with volume and tone all the way up on the guitar using the bridge pickup.

Any suggestions/insight on what may be the root of this problem?

It has been on my list to do a thread search or post a question on this. I've had my AX8 for a couple of months....moving from an Axe II. I have no issue with the accuracy at all, but I have noticed some serious slowness only at certain times. What I mean by slowness is while tuning I'll pluck the string open or 12th fret harmonic and it takes the ball indicator several seconds to move to the new reading point. Kind of like a rising thermometer. I thought it was only when the USB was connected, but also happens during rehearsals with no USB plugged in. I tune with volume and tone all the way up on the guitar using the bridge pickup.

Any suggestions/insight on what may be the root of this problem?

Tuning guidelines:
- hit the string with your thumb
- use the neck pickup.
- roll down the Tone knob on your guitar.

This doesn't just apply to Fractal gear. These are tricks to help any tuner detect the fundamental note.

Last edited:
Tuning guidelines:
- hit the string with your thump.
- use the neck pickup.
- roll down the Tone knob on your guitar.

This doesn't just apply to Fractal gear. This are tricks to help any tuner detect the fundamental note.

Yes +1

Hi friends from FA,
you should built into the AX8 much better tuner becouse existing tuner is slowly and inaccurate. The weakest link of first-class preamps of FA. The best option is the cooperation with Peterson tuners company. Their iStroboSoft aplication is perfect for this. When may exist their tuner software for Aple smartphones why not for Fractal Audio preamps? Any kind of Fractal Audio Preamp has the display like the smartphones. The excellent FA preamps with the precise Peterson tuner will be a perfect combination for all guitar players. The best with the best. :)
Merry Christmass and Happy New Year 2017 ( maybe with new tuner built into AXE, AX, FX). ;-)

Dude, that kind of affirmation need to be supported by proof, if can't come up with proof of the tuner being inaccurate you are basically asking the wrong question.

Thanks Yek. Yep I do use my thumb, but I have always used the knobs up bridge pickup (30+ years) and have always been pleased with the results using Korgs, Yamahas, strobes.....as well as the Axe Std, Ultra and II (and yes I am picky....I loath an out of tune guitar).

However, I will try the the neck pickup with tone down. Never ever did I see the tuner react like this on the Axe Std, Ultra and II.

I have a Peterson strobo rack just below my Axe-Fx II XL+ (I use it to split the signal of my dual - magnetic and piezo - guitar) and I don't find any difference between that and the Axe tuner.

The Axe-Fx II tuner will not change because it is excellent. Have you used it?

Love my AX8 but the tuner feels subpar to the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 mini I also own. Every other tuner I've owned also felt that way too compared to the TT.

We all want to have our cake and eat it too.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the updates lately!

I don't know if the the ax8 has the magic 8 ball. But use it. It's just as good as a strobe Peterson. In fact I've intonated using it and checked it with my Peterson strobe and it's they're nearly identical. Always use your neck pickup when tuning.

Back
Top Bottom