Best wireless system to work with the Axe2?

G90 is the best around for the money. Upgrade the cable to a neutrik silent jack and you can get by with one tranmitter and silent switching between guitars; I've used one for over 100 shows; multiple guitars and one transmitter.

Appreciate all the feedback in this thread. Sounds like a G90 or G50 will be on my shopping list soon. I may go for the G50, so I can put two of 'em on a single rack shelf and run myself and another guitarist through my AxeII rig simultaneously when needed.

On the silent jack and multiple transmitter approaches....are either of these really needed? I would typically mute my AxeFx during changeovers anyway, either via a volume pedal or tuner mute. Other than wear and tear on the cable, I see no real problems with plugging/unplugging.

It's the Line 6 Relay G90 for me. I also have the G50, which uses the exact same transmitter as G90. In fact the G90 is essentially a rackmount version of the G50. The lower-end G30 is a different animal altogether and uses a different transmitter which I believe is made of plastic rather than metal like the G50/G90, although it too works very well from what I've read and would be a viable option if you're on a budget. Also, the cable that came with my G90 went bad on the tranmitter end (the DIN connector) after just a few months, so I've since ordered some custom cables with the Neutrik silent ends (2 with straight ends and 2 right-angled) from guitar-cable.com for both of my tranmitters.

Why do they make belt packs (transmitters) that require you to take the thing off and look at the tiny battery with the tiny 3block indicator on the FRONT of the little screen.

Money. Features vs cost. Management probably gave them a max retail price, and they had to make some tough choices. I put fresh batteries in before every gig, so it's not an issue for me.

yeah i have the x2 rack, it shows me on the rack what the battery is like, but I always use a fresh one, and i get through 3 sets... buy in bulk :)

I'm not sure if you'll ever get a satisfactory response to a question like "what's the best wireless". What you will get is about a hundred different opinions - whatever someone is currently using will be quoted as "the best thing I've ever used". It totally depends on your budget; you can go from next to nothing, all the way to a few thousand dollars.

I personally use a Line-6 G30. It's tiny, it's relatively cheap, and it does not affect my tone (not noticeably, at least). I've velcroed it inside my rack case, plugged into the rear input of the Axe FX. In studio, when I'm using cables, I just change the Axe FX input option to "front" and on stage, I change it to "rear". I'm never more than 15 or 20 metres from my rig, and it works flawlessly.

I'm not sure if you'll ever get a satisfactory response to a question like "what's the best wireless". What you will get is about a hundred different opinions - whatever someone is currently using will be quoted as "the best thing I've ever used". It totally depends on your budget; you can go from next to nothing, all the way to a few thousand dollars.

I don't know -- sometimes that's true, but there seems to be a pretty strong consensus here that the Line 6 (and X2) stuff really is a step above the rest. I'm a Sennheiser user, and I haven't used much else, so it is "the best thing I've ever used." But I'm increasingly wondering, if not convinced, that a digital unit without a compander holds significant advantage and may be worth upgrading. If I didn't already have a wireless and wanted one, it would seem like a pretty clear choice. Given that the L6 units are not really more expensive than the competition, and in the case of the G30 and G50 are less than a lot of the quality analog competition, I think maybe it could be crowned the best thing out there right now.

That's not to say that quality analog systems are bad. Some probably have very good companders that may come close to being transparent. But a digital system, provided it is well built, has low latency, doesn't use lossy compression, and has good A/D/A converters, should at least on paper be better than anything with a compander. How noticable it is to a given person in a given situation is a subjective question. But as long as the digital system is well implemented, it should have some objectively measurable benefit. The L6 stuff seems to have gotten that right from what people are saying.

Similar to many other users on this forum.. I'm using a Line6 G90. Used to use the G30 model but I recently upgraded to the G90. Fantastic unit in all aspects. The transmitter is nice and so is the receiver. Well built, stellar tone. I don't notice any degradation as I've had with other brands in the past.

Some more info concerning G30 vs G50 vs G90:

G30 does not have the sound of the G50 and G90 and it does not share the same body pack (TBP06 instead of TBP12). The body pack may work with the upper models but it's channel limited (like less then 1/2 now with the upgraded rack units). It also has 1/4" connector which, while convenient, is not as good as the mini-xlr. Unless budget is of utmost concern, at least go with G50 or higher.

As for racking 2 G50's vs. 2 XD-V75's, keep in mind that you'll have to secure the G50's but you will be able to stick the antennas out the front of the rack. The display however, will not be visible since they are on the top of the unit... so you'd need a tray to slide out a bit or you'd have to mount them on edge which will take at least 2U and will be awkward for the antennas. The G50 has 200ft range. The XD-V75 and G90 have 300 ft range (more according to some tests - even through minor obstructions). So if you were to take an XD-75 and have the antennas awkwardly mounted in the back, it could very well achieve the same range as a G50 with the antennas at the front. I can't proof this but it's something to consider.

Had I not needed more than 1 unit, I would have gone with the G90.

Anybody using the Lectronics IS400 wireless?
Richard

I haven't seen one but jeez, it's more than double the Line6 options. It has 256 UHF selectable frequencies and may offer more avoidance but... that's debatable... you don't really know until you know. It sounds like the body pack has a better connector and battery door. So if it can match or better the Line 6 series in sound, physical design, and avoidance, then sure, why not.

If you're going to be traveling overseas, the L6 ones are the only ones you won't get any issues with. It works pretty much everywhere.

I've posted earlier in this thread that I'd concluded that if starting from nothing, the L6 units really do seem to be the best choice out there, at least under $1000. The question I'm having trouble with right now is whether it's worth upgrading from a Sennheiser EW 172 G2 system. This is also a very good system. Going back and forth between a cable and the Sennheiser, I can certainly hear a bit of a difference. But it's pretty minor. A little compression, and the wireless actually seems a bit brighter, probably because I'm comparing with an 18' cable that has a bit more capacitance. But overall, I don't find it to be night and day. It's not quite a cable, but it isn't that objectionable to me.

I'd almost certainly want the G90, as it's going in a rack. Depending on resale value for my Sennheiser, factoring in the costs of rack mounting gear for my Senn that I don't need to buy with the G90, and depending on whether I go new or used for the G90, the upgrade cost could be as low as $200 and as high as $400. I play through my wireless for basically everything but recording. Even if I'm not moving very far, I just prefer not getting having a cord tying me down or getting wrapped up in it. So it's certainly something I get plenty of use out of, and it basically is constantly part of my tone. But the question is whether it's worth spending $200-400 to get that last little bit of tone the Senn is missing. There are a whole lot of pros who haven't made the jump to digital (L6 or lectrosonics), so I wonder if it's really worth the upgrade cost.

I made the jump and sold my EW172 and bought the G90. Meanwhile I had the G30 because it suited better with my old pedalboard. For me the Line 6 sounds really like a cable and that was not the case with the Senn. I was always missing something with it and plugged the Senn only for the songs where I had to make the show jumping in the crowd or walking on the bar! The rest of the time I returned to the more satisfactory old cable...

Thanks to this thread I decided to give the G90 a shot and I'm completely happy with the decision.. like lp59 I went from the EW172 G2 to the G90 and its been a fantastic bump in feel comparatively.

Dave

i play throught Line 6 Relay G90 too, this was a huge difference in sound comparing to the Sennheiser 372 series.
I suddenly had way more tone, in the lower frequencies the most.

I made the jump and sold my EW172 and bought the G90. Meanwhile I had the G30 because it suited better with my old pedalboard. For me the Line 6 sounds really like a cable and that was not the case with the Senn. I was always missing something with it and plugged the Senn only for the songs where I had to make the show jumping in the crowd or walking on the bar! The rest of the time I returned to the more satisfactory old cable...

Thanks to this thread I decided to give the G90 a shot and I'm completely happy with the decision.. like lp59 I went from the EW172 G2 to the G90 and its been a fantastic bump in feel comparatively.

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear from Senn users who've been pleased with the upgrade. I still don't feel like I lose all that much with the Senn, but I use a cable so rarely that I may just be used to it. I'm leaning towards making the upgrade. It's hard when the Sennheiser is pretty good, but it seems like once you're dealing with something as good as the Axe, it's worth having as clean a signal going in as possible.

Dave
You're welcome Dave! ;)
I just discovered that I need to buy a whole bunch of other gear first, before I can lose the wire... but nice to inspire others!
Cheers,
Benji

Now we just need something that Changes It's Input Impedance via commands from the Axe!
That would be the one thing lacking from Cable vs Wireless is the Impedance effect on the Pickups and the Volume Knob.
Fractal if you want more of my Money, that is something I would buy. A wireless system that worked like the Line 6 G90/G50, but added Input Impedance that Changed with Patch Changes on the Axe!!!

Back
Top Bottom