Best wireless system to work with the Axe2?

Well, Pat and all, I might go for a G90 after all. Didn't know about the switching between packs, cool stuff. Need a new, bigger rack bag now....
Thx all, good job.

Benji

A couple of notes...

I have the g50 and it too has a channel knob and cable length selector knob. I could be wrong but I believe the differences between the g50 and g90 is that the g90 receiver is a rack mount and has an XLR output, A/B swtching and an extra 100 foot range. The transmitors are identical. They are built solidly with the only exception being the cable that goes from the guitar to the transmitor. It's junk. There are several places that will build you the 1/4 to TA4F cables if you are not so inclined to do so yourself. I got mine from Lava.

I am looking to get the g90 simply because of desk space and I have a friend that was looking at the g50 and will use it.

I've harped on this before but get the Line6 XD-V75TR. It is the same as the G90 except for a few things (G90 has front and back antenna mounts and adjustable cable length (dsp)). You'll save yourself money b/c it's about $550 vs. $600 for the G90 and it's a half rack! You need to buy or make your own TA-4 mini XLR to 1/4" cables for the transmitter (Shure makes one but honestly that cable doesn't last more then 2 months of active use).

I swear by this system. It is extremely close to sounding like a cable. It has very good range. It's digital and doesn't squash the sound. The body backs are extremely robust although people complain about the battery compartment door that is definitely fragile when open. I use multiple units just in case.

Wow! I had no idea about the Line6 XD-V75TR! Thanks for the advice!

Wow! I had no idea about the Line6 XD-V75TR! Thanks for the advice!

I goofed my post. The g90 has front and back antennas while the xd-v70 has rear only unless you use the half u plate to bring them to the front. My antennas are in my rack above the axefx and I haven't had any range issues but it's something to note.

i own a g50 absolutely no regrets.

FYI if you do go for one of the L6 ones do yourself a favor and buy yourself a new cable for it. I got mine from lava cables.... the L6 one is flimsy and short.

I goofed my post. The g90 has front and back antennas while the xd-v70 has rear only unless you use the half u plate to bring them to the front. My antennas are in my rack above the axefx and I haven't had any range issues but it's something to note.

I'm confused. What is the difference between the xd-v70 and the xd-v75?

I use the line 6 G90. I had an issue early on with the cable that came with the transmitter, but I replaced it with one from shure, and have not had an issue since.

Thx all for the hints about the cable...
Too funny btw, you go wireless, and the first thing that craps out is a stupid cable...:|

B.

I'm confused. What is the difference between the xd-v70 and the xd-v75?

Sorry I confused you. I have 2 xd-v70's. The xd-v75 is the newer version that has USB for upgrades. The v70's are upgradeable as well but you have to have another v75 to do it.

G90. Trust me. Plus is a full 1u rack space. Come on, what do you do with a half rack space?

I have 2 half rack xd-v70's (precursor to v75's) in 1U. That's what I do with the half rack. They interlock without buying any additional hardware. It's convenient for redundancy, having 2 guitars active, or using one as a wireless headset mic (I also have the lav but I don't use the lav). Even if I did not use 2 to make a full 1U, the half rack empty space is a good place to store misc stuff instead of in a bag. I also use an IO interface half rack and store various things in that space (as well as a quick way to pass cables through). So XD-V75, trust me.

I also have a G50 Line6 and love it....

Can I ask if anyone uses the rear input of AxeII vs front input when cabling or is this a no no? Saw some threads mentioning the front has the 'special sauce' or does it matter.
I would prefer to run it in the back and light up my Korg rack tuner as well..... Thoughts?

I've been using the rear input with no issues. I didn't even know about the front vs rear deal until this week with the current threads. I'm gonna try the front input but to be honest, I love the fact that the front of my rack is clean w no cabling. I also have EVERYTHING wired up balanced so I'm not sure if that would make any difference.

I also have a G50 Line6 and love it....

Can I ask if anyone uses the rear input of AxeII vs front input when cabling or is this a no no? Saw some threads mentioning the front has the 'special sauce' or does it matter.
I would prefer to run it in the back and light up my Korg rack tuner as well..... Thoughts?

I believe Fractal still recommends using the front input with wireless. I don't fully understand it though since it's a line output and the front is optimized for guitar. I did an extensive test with a direct cable to the front, wireless to the front, wireless to the back, and wireless to my interface. The difference wasn't very noticeable to me among any of them so I opted for wireless -balanced-> audio interface -spdif-> Axe. That gave me the highest degree of flexibility (e.g. re-amping). Otherwise, I'd just use the rear input instead.

Last edited:
Front vs. back: The G90 is supposed to replace a cable (and be transparent doing it...), and cables go in the front in my understanding. For neat freaks: Angled plug.
Cheers,
Benji

I believe Fractal still recommends using the front input with wireless. I don't fully understand it though since it's a line output and the front is optimized for guitar. I did an extensive test with a direct cable to the front, wireless to the front, wireless to the back, and wireless to my interface. The difference wasn't very noticeable to me among any of them so I opted for wireless to interface to Axe (spdif). That gave me the highest degree of flexibility (e.g. reaming).

Right...that's what I believe I read also. Yes, front input is designed optimal for direct guitar input...and rear could be used as a line input from my wireless. I didn't think it would be an issue but seems to be a tough subject to pin down based on some of the older posts I found.

X2 XDR1 is still my preference for size, weight, sound, and visual feedback. The transmitter has 5 LEDs for battery level on the top of the transmitter. The line6 has one idiot light. Why do they do this? My shure belt pack is the same.

Why do they make belt packs (transmitters) that require you to take the thing off and look at the tiny battery with the tiny 3block indicator on the FRONT of the little screen. We look down at the TOP of belt packs, not the front, and we need to know amount of remaining power, not "good" followed by "oh shit".

Why do they make belt packs (transmitters) that require you to take the thing off and look at the tiny battery with the tiny 3block indicator on the FRONT of the little screen. We look down at the TOP of belt packs, not the front, and we need to know amount of remaining power, not "good" followed by "oh shit".

That's true but I think most users will attach it to their strap and in a pouch so the light is behind them and they'd never see it anyway (maybe a roady or fellow bandmate would). The line6 has enough warning from the light on the pack though. It also has a push button to see a more accurate battery level on the backlit display of the pack. However, I almost always use the receiver's front panel which has 3 multi segment green leds (level meter, battery life, signal strength). It beats checking the pack on the strap or putting the pack on my belt where I could see it.

Back
Top Bottom