Best Wireless system for guitar?

I've been using 2 Shure ULX-D systems - one for guitar, one for vocals, and they are incredible units......

I've been using an L6 XD-V75 with the body pack, and instrument cable for over a year, and I love it. I initially decided on it over the G90 because it was a half rack, and if I ever wanted too, I could rack up two in one space, and get my piezo on using the right input without needing a bigger rack, but there other cool things about it too. Like more channels, and USB updating, and I think it actually looks cooler. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently switched from the plastic Line 6 model to a Shure GLX-D which is much more rugged and also has an on-board tuner. I'm much happier with this unit then I was with the Line 6.

Yeah, I tried the cheaper plastic L6, it sounded great, but it felt cheap. The G90, and up are rock solid metal, even the body packs.

G90 here too with no issues. I also tossed the cheap transmitter cable it came with and replaced it with better quality ones with Neutrik silent plugs for the guitar.

Here is a pic with the original cable and the two replacements:

g50stuff.jpg

Sold my line 6 g55 and am so happy I did. Granted it did the job but here and there I'd get a pop noise. Most the channels always showed a lot of interference was possible. I bought the shure glx-d half rack version (not the pedal) and it freaking rocks. No problems whatsoever and I just pop the battery in the front after setting up for a gig and it's fully charged by the time we play. Plus you actually get like 17 hrs anyways. I love it

Sennheiser EW500 G3. Never had any problems with it, and the transmitter cord is always secure.

Had the Line 6 G90 Relay before. Liked the ease of use but it never sounded right, especially when trying to coax my signal into natural feedback.

I bought a Neutrik L-plug und soldered it by myself....after playing a concert with the original transmitter cable, which was already broken...in the middle of the song, the guitarsound began to stutter...some folks thougt, I was using a kill switch ;-) every time I moved... and I ALWAYS move like a goddamn clown on exctasy.... ;-)

I used the g90 on my first ever gig last night and it was awesome, sounded good too, had a little difficulty with getting feedback through my monitor, but it may have been on the lower volume side. Was told it made up look much better too, letting me walk down to the crowd and have a beer between songs haha!

+1 for the G90, sounds better than the Shure SLX I've tried before.

Have you guys had a look at the newer shure GLX series? Just checking because for the price they compare right with the L6 G series. I had the G55 basically same as the G90 just half rack and I like the Shure A LOT better. There's a demo at SW for 400. I only ask because nobody even mentioned them to me because they are fairly newer to the market. Get rid of the batteries!

Shure GLX-D Digital Wireless System - Guitar System | Sweetwater.com

G90 here too with no issues. I also tossed the cheap transmitter cable it came with and replaced it with better quality ones with Neutrik silent plugs for the guitar.
Basically did the same thing.. minus the Neutrik silent plugs.. G90 is solid as a rock and I use it for both guitar and bass gigs..

Only challenge I have had is that I use RECHARGEABLE "AA" batteries, because I also have IEM receiver pack to power - and I can go thru 4 STANDARD 1.5v double-A's a night!!

These are Lithium Ion 1.3v [not NiCad] so they don't "drain" like standard 1.5v AA's. It took some adjustment/learning curve to learn that when using the Li's, and the xmit pack says 4:20 (4hrs 20 min) remaining - I check it at the start/end of each set - that I need to put in a new set!!
I do keep a guitar cable and a spare set of batteries handy - just in case of an oops.. (been there, done that. Can you say - EMBARRASSING).

I can get thru 1 or 2 nights per set of AA's, so I have about 16 batteries I cycle thru and are there at every gig. Been doing that for about a year now.

Line6 G90 with Best-Tronics cable: works great. I was actually amazed at how much signal loss there was using cables as opposed to wireless.

^^ exactly why i went to the Shure. I'm a broken record i know :(
Why would the vendor make a difference ?? if you were referring to my battery feedback, it's not specific to the G90.. as the same happens on my IEM receiver which is NOT L6 :)

Have you guys had a look at the newer shure GLX series? Just checking because for the price they compare right with the L6 G series. I had the G55 basically same as the G90 just half rack and I like the Shure A LOT better. There's a demo at SW for 400. I only ask because nobody even mentioned them to me because they are fairly newer to the market. Get rid of the batteries!

You still have a battery, it's just a proprietary battery instead of common AA batteries. Also if you read the whole thread you will see two of us have already commented on the Shure GLD-X system.

You still have a battery, it's just a proprietary battery instead of common AA batteries. Also if you read the whole thread you will see two of us have already commented on the Shure GLD-X system.

Sorry guys I deserved that, I know. I did read the whole thread, all i saw was your post as far as people using it.

and S0c- I was referring to the 16 hrs of battery life from the Lithium battery that comes with the shure. Plus my experience with the Shure is better than the L6. I had more Interference issues on the channels with the L6 too.

Apologies for the annoyances.

Back
Top Bottom