Best Wireless in 2024

BEWARE!
Shure GLX -D+ Dual Band Latency varies slightly depending on the Frequency Band and Group:

Z3, Z4, Z5 (2.4 & 5.8GHz Bands):
Group 1: 4.53ms
Group 2: 8ms
Group 3: 4.53ms
Z2 (2.4GHz band only):
Group 1: 4.53ms
Group 2: 8ms
Group 3: 4.53ms
Group 4: 8ms

@GMGM
may I ask how you come up with 5-7 ms Latency on your FM9? Doesn't the FM9 have 2.(something)ms Latency?

I think an empty block is probably something like 2 ms. I measured by...

• guitar into a boss pedal with two outputs.
  • output 1 straight into my DAW interface (UA Apollo)
  • output 2 into a "true bypass" looper around the FM9, and into channel 2 of my Apollo (the looper was to make sure the Boss pedal wasn't affecting latency).

I recorded both tracks, and compared the waveforms (ie - counting samples or milliseconds). 5-7 ms is pretty consistent for most of my patches.

I don't think any of my presets are horrendous. Usually just one 'amp' and one 'cab' block. Almost all with additional reverb and/or delay. And more often than a not, with a drive block (sometimes two).

FWIW - I don't have much issue with 5-7ms, that's about my "pain" threshold for latency. Beyond that it really arts to bum me out.

So I did end up with the GLXD+, but only briefly. I returned it, and traded down to the Line6 G10S. It's not as "nice" as the Shure unit, but the latency is so much better. At this point, it's important to shave off every possible millisecond that I can.

I have not yet done the math on my current setup (latency from the wireless guitar transmitter, FM9 latency, the latency in the X32 mixer, latency from my in-ear transmitter). Any one of them individually or even two together is no big deal.

Scott Uhl is the name BTW, and below is his YT channel. He's a great guy, much loved in Colorado's music scene:
https://www.youtube.com/@ScottUhlMusic

I've had many of these small systems, this one has been the best so far for me:

View attachment 144918

Yep, I'm a big fan of Scott's channel. My Amazon cart of full of stuff that he reviews. These Lekato do look pretty good, and if I remember correctly - their latency was reasonable considering they're operating in the 5.8 band.

I think an empty block is probably something like 2 ms. I measured by...

• guitar into a boss pedal with two outputs.
  • output 1 straight into my DAW interface (UA Apollo)
  • output 2 into a "true bypass" looper around the FM9, and into channel 2 of my Apollo (the looper was to make sure the Boss pedal wasn't affecting latency).

I recorded both tracks, and compared the waveforms (ie - counting samples or milliseconds). 5-7 ms is pretty consistent for most of my patches.

I don't think any of my presets are horrendous. Usually just one 'amp' and one 'cab' block. Almost all with additional reverb and/or delay. And more often than a not, with a drive block (sometimes two).

FWIW - I don't have much issue with 5-7ms, that's about my "pain" threshold for latency. Beyond that it really arts to bum me out.

So I did end up with the GLXD+, but only briefly. I returned it, and traded down to the Line6 G10S. It's not as "nice" as the Shure unit, but the latency is so much better. At this point, it's important to shave off every possible millisecond that I can.

I have not yet done the math on my current setup (latency from the wireless guitar transmitter, FM9 latency, the latency in the X32 mixer, latency from my in-ear transmitter). Any one of them individually or even two together is no big deal.
I run the G10S too because it's on of the fastest wireless on the market. I use it still with Firmware 1.0.
On my G10 I had to replace the battery one but it was easy. Despite having it run for YEARS daily for at least 5-7h of teaching.
On big festivals I wouldn't run any digital system but rather rent the local UHF system and the the frequencies managed by the local Wireless-Tech, that's the only way how you can be 99% safe. Or you always carry an additional UHF system with you for the big stages.

As you said... it all sums up in the end. Having the Wireless, the Modeller of choice, the Mixing console and IEM Wireless. You can get easily to over 10ms.
that's why I mix my guitar directly into my IEM and spare another 2-3ms of the Mixing console. This way I'm almost at the same level of latency as the other bandmembers. Keys, bass are all wired and digital, so around 5-7ms including the mixing console drums tho are a bit quicker except we play with edrums.

Back
Top Bottom