Best wheeled case for Axe FX 2?

Velokki

Inspired
So I'm going in and out between one city and another for band practice. I'm having to carry the Axe around for kilometers at a time, and am looking for a case with wheels so I don't have to carry it all the time, instead I'd just drag it!

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/39155-1524/gr-rackbag-2uw

Any experiences of that one? Any other recommendations? The goal is to achieve comfortable portability of the Axe.

Thanks!

Looks as good as anything else. I have a shallow 3U Gator case and it works well,although it doesn't have wheels.The one you're looking at will probably work just fine.

I like the SKB rolling roto...I figure if Robert Fripp travels the world with them loaded down with Axe FXs and Eventides, it should keep things safe in the backseat.

IMG5713.JPG

I've used the 4space version of this. It works, yet the front handles and cables in back will protrude a bit. Meaning if you want to connect and disconnect cables each time, it should be fine. The front handles do push the cover out a bit, but not unreasonably so.
I was ALSO using a Matrix GT1000, so I got some right angle cables for the connections from the back of the Axe and they work fine.

I also have a http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29201-1143/grr-4l
It's plastic vs the nylon bag, and the lids give extra space for cables and the front handles. This is the one I use most. I still have the nylon version, yet it kinds gets scratched up/worn quickly on pavement of sidewalk.

I would consider the plastic, mostly because it's more durable. YMMV

+1 for Roto Rack. A 6U one can hold the Axe-Fx, power conditioner, MFC, Mission pedal, all cables, stage clothes, and two guitar stands. For me, that's über-efficient.

Thanks guys, got a deal on the 2U Gator wheeled case - when I know exactly what my final rig will consist of (maybe wireless etc) in the coming years, I will probably buy one of those Roto Racks. They seem like they can go to hell and back and still keep the axe untouched!

Hi guys!

I'm back to this thread, since it seems I'll be needing a new one of these. This Gator one has done it's job ok, but there are a couple of really irritating problems.

First: it's extremely backwards-weighted - if it's standing up, and you as much as touch it, it will almost certainly fall on its face.
Second: it's already starting to really wear out. The wheels are so small that if there are any rough spots in the terrain you're pulling it on, you can be sure that it will catch and start to wear out. It has had quite minimal use, and every now and then the sides of the case would touch the ground, and it has already worn so that the zipper is exposed - the fabric from the bottom has worn away quite badly.

Now, what would you recommend for a real, pro use? Is there any solution that'd be sturdy and reliable, with perhaps bigger wheels? Also, is there a case in which I could also fit the MFC?

All recommendations welcome!

I have a 3U Roto case (3rd space holds a Vafam term panel) that has done me well. I'm concerned about the noisy wheels, wish they were rubber or something. But then rubber would wear more quickly. And those plastic wheels are still going strong almost 5 years later, so maybe they made the right choice. But rolling is way better than carrying. And I can put my MFC, Mission, and Boss FS-5U (in a soft Boss GT case) over the rack's handle and off I go.

Worst comes to worst, you could just get a non-rolling SKB Roto case and then buy a nice high quality hand truck to move it around with, one with a decently long lifter on it.

I use a 4 space SKB Rolling Roto Rack that I bought used. It works great for rolling but it's the old version, so it only has one handle, which makes it difficult to carry and maneuver around stuff or even just lifting up to put on top of a cab.

For under $10 I bought a Velcro All Purpose Strap with Handle Model 900602 which is 6ft x 2 inches and adjustable, so I wrap it around the rack and have another handle. I originally bought it for my previous non-rolling 4 space rack that only had 1 handle.

https://www.velcro.com/en/products/ties-and-straps/900602__all-purpose-strap-with-handle

The Axe Fx costs a couple grand, and while it's made well I don't think dragging it around is the best idea. I'm sure you will be careful but you are bound to run over a few bumps and rocks along the way and I'm not sure it's worth the risk in my opinion.

I use the 4U version of the road runner rolling rack. I have found it reasonably sturdy and fits the AxeFx without having to disconnect anything. My only beef is that the wheels are too close together and when I'm rolling it a small object can cause it to tilt and drag a corner. A minor annoyance to be sure but it keeps me from giving it a 5 star rating.

The Axe Fx costs a couple grand, and while it's made well I don't think dragging it around is the best idea. I'm sure you will be careful but you are bound to run over a few bumps and rocks along the way and I'm not sure it's worth the risk in my opinion.

I see no risk whatsoever if the Axe is mounted tight and the case protects it.

My biggest problem with the Gator one does stem from the wheels being way too small. Literally anything else than straight tarmac and it will catch on the bottom corners. The corners are badly worn out, within just a few months into owning it.

I would love a similar design but with just a bit bigger wheels.

Fun fact, the SKB wheeled case rattled out a good amount of the screws holding the top to the axe-fx. It also started loosening the rack screws. I won't got with a wheeled case again. Instead a smaller, lighter, gator case, and a small Rock and Roller cart.

Back
Top Bottom