Best way to set up my "recording" ...well...setup

nwolfe88

Ok, here's what I have: and BTW I'm a noob at the recording thing so please bare with me...

I WILL have a firewire interface, most likey the M-Audio Profire 610
Two Fostex PM-1 monitors
Axe FX

That's it. I want to be able to listen to music that I'm playing on my computer and also monitor things I'm playing through my axe fx through my monitors. So my monitors will be producing sounds from my pc, and my axe.

Can anyone take the time and tell me exactly how to set this thing up? What kinds of cables, to where, etc. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

You are going to have to figure out how to run your monitors off the Profire 610 - if you want audio from computer and Axe to go to PM-1's.
If you hook the PM-1's into your PC, you can get the same result, but you will [likely] have some challenges with latency - the time it takes for the audio going into the PC (via Profire) being processed on the PC and routed to the speakers.

Apogee Duet. Killer interface. You can probably find a used one for $350 or so. I run it like so:

Axe XLR outs to Apogee XLR In (two XLR cables)
Apogee 1/4" outs to Adam A7 monitors unbalanced in (two 1/4" to RCA cables.. this will depend on your monitor's input connections)
Firewire to the Mac... done!!!

I can use the headphone out on the Axe or crank through the monitors, and I hear direct from the Axe and anything from the Mac (backing tracks, etc.). Whoo hoo!

I have a profire 610 and it can do exactly this. The way I have it set up is using the spdif to go into the profire from the axefx but you could easily use the xlr as well. Basically you can monitor your computer and your axe at the same time by using the mixer app that comes with the profire. It looks like your standard multichannel mixer. You just balance the levels and it l goes out to your speakers. The axefx shows up as input 1/2 and then in my audio software I set it's output to software return 3/4 and then you see both sets of audio meters bouncing around in the mixer app. It's really easy. And no latency from the axefx audio since you hear it before it hits anything else.

Just make sure you setup your audio interface as your computers default sound device. If you're using windows it should be in the control panel under "sound devices" I actually disable my computers on board soundcard in the bios to make sure it selects my audio interface by default and that there are no IRQ problems or other issues (we all know Windows likes to get stupid on itself...)

I use behringer ultralink mx882 mixer/splitter with my firewire interface (presonus firestudio project).
With this setup i can easily ear pc and axefx's sound untouched.
The behringer is very cheap and works very well.

rsf1977 said:
I have a profire 610 and it can do exactly this. The way I have it set up is using the spdif to go into the profire from the axefx but you could easily use the xlr as well. Basically you can monitor your computer and your axe at the same time by using the mixer app that comes with the profire. It looks like your standard multichannel mixer. You just balance the levels and it l goes out to your speakers. The axefx shows up as input 1/2 and then in my audio software I set it's output to software return 3/4 and then you see both sets of audio meters bouncing around in the mixer app. It's really easy. And no latency from the axefx audio since you hear it before it hits anything else.

This sounds like the best way to go about it.

I do a similar thing with my set up except I have another set of outs going to a Rane line mixer, where I can blend my Axe signal in with the rest of the mix and whatnot. Basically, same thing but more convoluted and requiring additional hardware and cabling. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom