Best way to make a patch for use with real cab?

Dillonski

Inspired
Hey everyone,
Normally I just run my Axe-Fx direct but soon I'll be taking it into University and there I am unable to do this. I'll be running it through the FX return of the amp head into an Orange 4x12.

My question is, at home when I am using my Axe-Fx 2 through monitors, what is the best way to make a preset that will sound good when I get there and plug it in? Am I right in thinking that the best way to do this would be to make a preset with the Citrus 4x12 cab and then turn off cab modelling and power amp modelling when I run into the actual power amp and 4x12?

Cheers! :)

Just a thought, you may want to try it with the power amp sim still on. I left it on with my 2:90 simul class into a gt75 loaded marshall.... it sounds pretty damn sweet. If it's too much, turn down the sag until it sounds better to you.

You can try using the citrus cab, but don't expect perfection when you first plug in. Hopefully you'll only have to make minor changes, it's gonna depend on what you're trying to do.

There is no substitute for dialing in presets with the gear you intend to use at the volumes you intend to use it at.

Best thing you could do is schedule a session just to jam and dial things in

there is a huge difference even if you fine-tune a direct patch at bedroom volume or at gig volume
so You can imagine how big is the difference using a cab block or a real amp and cab...
IMHO no way other than use an amp and cab for coocking your no-direct patches!!!
and the same amp and cab you will use

Deff going to need some tweeks. I feel like its best to make them side by side (monitor to cab) to find were the sweet spots in the cab block are to duplicate the tone at certan volumes. Although the axe sounds similar out of the monitors, volume and room size makes a big diffrence imo. There is a ton of variables that need to be worked out if you want to plug in and have it exact, though it should sound close.

I have both a Matrix FR212 (or whatever it's called) and an Engl Pro 4x12, and I use the exact same settings for both (minus cab sim for the Engl) - my presets are dialled in at loud volume using only the pre, power and speaker page of the amp block, no advanced tweaking.

*both cabs are powered by a Matrix gt1600 power amp

/Martin

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I'll definitely be taking it in for a jam session to mess around with settings but I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do at home to make things easier when i get there :)

Cheers! :)

I often just bypass the cab and have few issues on the key presets I like.

If going back to headphones or the like (any FRFR), I'll re-engage the cab and I'm good to go.

Back
Top Bottom