Best Tone for Slide

"Slide tone" can mean lots of things. But you can't go wrong with a crunchy, greasy mid-gain Marshally thing.

I recently saw a post where someone talked about using flat wound strings for slide.
I have never tried that though.
I usually play slide on my Schecter Corsair (an ES-335 copy) with D'Addario Chromes, and lately a ceramic slide.
Honestly I can't tell much difference.

My sound for this lately has been a Trainwreck Express with greenbacks and the York Audio full-res greenbacks. The 'wreck gives you a lot of control with just the volume knob.

Any idea how to get the double compressed thing in the Axe fx? I know it is two compressors in series. But what are good settings for this? And which compressor types would you use for that?
Double 1176s in series. Try checking out Origin Effects website and their suggested settings for their “SlideRig” compressor pedal

I would kill for Chris Degarmo’s slide tone on Queensyrches “Hear In The Now Frontier”…

I know they used a lot of Bogner on that album, starting there would be a good start, probably the Blue channel of the Ecstasy. I‘m thinking of “Sign Of The Times”, dropping the treble/bass and cranking the mids a bit, depending on your pickups, will probably get you in that territory. Then again, I could see something like an AC30 working out ok for that tone as well.

Just listened to “Some People Fly” and ”Spool” thanks to this post, it’s been a while!

I know they used a lot of Bogner on that album, starting there would be a good start, probably the Blue channel of the Ecstasy. I‘m thinking of “Sign Of The Times”, dropping the treble/bass and cranking the mids a bit, depending on your pickups, will probably get you in that territory. Then again, I could see something like an AC30 working out ok for that tone as well.

Just listened to “Some People Fly” and ”Spool” thanks to this post, it’s been a while!
I can also sense that he’s using a wah as a filter a bit, gives it that hollow sound…

You have to do a lot of left and right hand damping/ghost notes to get a good slide sound. Check this vid of Joe Bonamasse, whether you like him or not (please no comments on that, we've already read all possible comments here), he nails it imho.
Also for amp settings, maybe not too much treble and bass but emphasize on EQ of mids

Back
Top Bottom