Best substitute for virtual capo?

Mark L.

Inspired
Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but what do you use in place of the virtual capo? What's best?

Digitech Drop. The pitch shifting is comparable to the AxeFX III virtual capo, but I prefer having the pitch shifting outside of my AxeFX so I can turn it on any time, even if there is no pitch block in the preset I'm using. Plus, I don't have to worry about exceeding the cpu limit if I add a virtual capo to a preset.

The best is the Boss SY1000 or the Roland VG-99, if you don't mind installing a GK3. And as extras, you get alternate tunas, intelligent poly-harmonizer, 12 strings, and many other delicatessens.

Better than any of the above options is the Variax guitar. I still use the Virtual Capo even though I use the Variax, only because since I don't use a Helix, I would have to manually twist the knob for my downtuned songs whereas right now, all my preset changes and Virtual Capo settings are automated.

The Drop is better than the FM3's VC, but the Axe III's is better than the Drop, IMO. But if you use the Drop or Variax to drop tune, you save all the DSP

I do hope the Axe III's VC comes to the FM3 soon, though...

The best is the Boss SY1000 or the Roland VG-99, if you don't mind installing a GK3. And as extras, you get alternate tunas, intelligent poly-harmonizer, 12 strings, and many other delicatessens.
Funny you should mention that. I have an SY1000, just got it, haven't gotten into the tuning stuff with it yet, but that's a second rig that I don't have running with the FM3, and not sure I want to. But that's still a good idea. Thanks

Better than any of the above options is the Variax guitar. I still use the Virtual Capo even though I use the Variax, only because since I don't use a Helix, I would have to manually twist the knob for my downtuned songs whereas right now, all my preset changes and Virtual Capo settings are automated.

The Drop is better than the FM3's VC, but the Axe III's is better than the Drop, IMO. But if you use the Drop or Variax to drop tune, you save all the DSP

I do hope the Axe III's VC comes to the FM3 soon, though...
Agreed, but I don't want to have to switch guitars. Still considering a Variax though, love the reso models, so much fun.

Agreed, but I don't want to have to switch guitars. Still considering a Variax though, love the reso models, so much fun.
I have used literally nothing else since I got mine. I have a boatload of high-end guitars, but this one, with the tuning and modeling just fits the bill for my 90's cover band. At home I'll use whatever. The guitar itself is really nothing to write home about, but it's also not a bad guitar. It's right about in the neighborhood of your MIK guitars. All this to say, you don't HAVE to switch guitars when you have a Variax, except maybe twisting a knob for a strat or an LP or a tele. I brought it to practice just once and it convinced my other guitarist to buy TWO lol!

I have used literally nothing else since I got mine. I have a boatload of high-end guitars, but this one, with the tuning and modeling just fits the bill for my 90's cover band. At home I'll use whatever. The guitar itself is really nothing to write home about, but it's also not a bad guitar. It's right about in the neighborhood of your MIK guitars. All this to say, you don't HAVE to switch guitars when you have a Variax, except maybe twisting a knob for a strat or an LP or a tele. I brought it to practice just once and it convinced my other guitarist to buy TWO lol!
Sounds like the perfect tool for you. I wasn't a fan of the solid body humbucker models. Single coils were ok. I would buy it primarily for the reso and acoustic models. The alt tuning on a reso sounds great for blues. I want the reso sound, but not sure I want a real one...

Back
Top Bottom