Best Studio Monitors thoughts?

54321pj

Inspired
I'm in need of upgrading my studio monitors. I had a pair of KRK VXT8's and the internal amp has just failed... They are under warranty so I'm going to change and upgrade.
My budget will be around $2,500. Any thoughts, advice and guidance would be appreciated.
Use wise, it's normally just me in the studio, but often I have around 40 people come in and listen too, so they need to cover this volume and power wise.

How about Genelec, perhaps the most used speaker in pro studios? (The 1031 model).

$2500 would get you into the dsp-powered Genelec territory. Start with great and very reliable (made in finland) speakers, add more power and dsp brains, and you have the Genelec 8300-series. 8340 should fit into your budget. With the dsp models, you can calibrate the speakers in your room. The problematic bass frequencies are attenuated, which usually improves the clarity by a truckload. It also adjusts the levels and phase if you have a subwoofer.

The reliability part is a big one too, they're not made with the cheapest chinese parts. They're also easy to take with you if need to record in another location, since the speaker elements are protected with a metal net, another advantage is that toddlers can't poke them.

The newest coaxial series is even more amazing for small rooms, but unfortunately they're quite a bit more expensive still.

Last edited:
If you can find some quested sr8 speakers around that price, give them a listen - expensive, but I got these as my second set of questes and they are very accurate, but with kick!
Thanks
Pauly

You let toddlers near your Genelecs? Omg ... Probably while they are crawling on the mixing desk with an ice cream omg omg

;-)

Pauly

How about Genelec, perhaps the most used speaker in pro studios? 2500 would get you into the dsp-powered Genelec territory. Start with great and very reliable (made in finland) speakers, add more power and dsp brains, and you have the Genelec 8300-series. 8340 should fit into your budget. With the dsp models, you can calibrate the speakers in your room. The problematic bass frequencies are attenuated, which usually improves the clarity by a truckload. It also adjusts the levels and phase if you have a subwoofer.

The reliability part is a big one too, they're not made with the cheapest chinese parts. They're also easy to take with you if need to record in another location, since the speaker elements are protected with a metal net, another advantage is that toddlers can't poke them.

The newest coaxial series is even more amazing for small rooms, but unfortunately they're quite a bit more expensive still.

I bought my Adam S2-A's for about $2,600 in open box sale. They kick ass in all areas that matter.
There's probably used units out there or used units of the newer versions. I think they're great.
If you're producing, you'll want to check subs on high quality headphones or add a sub. Otherwise it's easy to put in too much and/or have inconsistencies below 100 hz.

For $2,500... Cliff bought a pair of Event Electronics Opals and apparently still uses them. Apparently they're really good.

And here's an oddball suggestion, but try two Atomic CLR's and a subwoofer. My CLR's sound fantastic as studio monitors.

And here's another vote for the Focals - I own them. Unbelievable detail, non-harsh midrange, and shocking low end (the Solo6 BE's use a 6.5" woofer - no idea how they do that). In the spirit of full disclosure, I do use them with a subwoofer (old Event 15" down firing unit). I have enough confidence in the monitors' low-end, that I wouldn't hesitate to mix with the subwoofer off.

I have a long relationship with Adam monitors. I've never heard anything in a small nearfield that has better high end. I'm currently using the S2Vs.

I had the S1X previously and would use these for the absolutely most demanding sound design and mix projects with stellar results.

https://www.adam-audio.com/en/s-series/s2v/

For $2,500... Cliff bought a pair of Event Electronics Opals and apparently still uses them. Apparently they're really good.

And here's an oddball suggestion, but try two Atomic CLR's and a subwoofer. My CLR's sound fantastic as studio monitors.

Those Events are also amazing. They're discontinued though.

Back
Top Bottom