Best studio monitors for the Axe FX?

Late to the party and underdressed, but...

Yama HS80M's here. Fine for low volume, mid-band kind of stuff. Low end, or de-tune, really suffers that "kick in the teeth" feel -- I think the SS amp just doesn't have the nuts. I've recently added my HT woofer (paradigm 2200) on OUT 1 ( XLR's go to Yama's, 1/4's go to Paradigm). This seems to fill in some of the feel -- still not like my compadre's Mesa 2x50 into real cabs, but good enough for my humble tastes -- and enough to piss off wife/neighbors, so there's a plus ;)

I bet the matched sub would be great, but I'm spending all my squish on a new custom build, so had to make do ....

Cheers

EzLeMuZd

Go for the BM6A MKII`s instead! The 5`s are a bit harsh compared to them.
I listened to both after a studiomagazine review stated they did not like the 5 but loved the 6. And they were right I think!
Also had the KRK 10s sub but did not like it, much better bassreponse with the BM6A`s alone!

I didn't have an opportunity to check out the BM6A MKII - I would have liked to, they were definitely on my short list - and I found the opposite in many reviews from you, preferring the BM5A MKII over the BM6A MKII, although every comparison between the BM6A MKII and the BM6A (MKI if you wish) put the BM6A over the BM6A MKII - that they continue to offer the older model says a lot if you ask me. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the BM5A MKII and the sub...

In researching studio monitors I've definitely found that it's very much a personal preference, and everyone has an opinion, so check out as many options as you can (something I've not found to be easy.)

I have just got a pair of Genelec 8040s - they sound superbly clear, volume for home use if more than adequate, and playing a backtrack thourgh them while jamming is a joy as the sound quality for the music element is so strong. Not cheap at £1350 (you canget a little cheaper at Thomann but wanted to support local economy and have somewhere to return to easlily if any issues, plus I managed to get £45 of XLR cables thrown in)

the opposite of switching...I am running with FBT Jolly 8a's and was thinking of active CABs/wedges.
why not have them both running instead of switching? Just wondering.

I have had a pair of FBT 12m wedges behind a Carvin DCM1540L for a couple years now. They keep sounding better as the Axes evolve.

using mackie hr824 mk2 here and sounding very good :)

Same - my HR824 MKII sound awesome. In fact, they hint at something that made me just order a pair of Matrix Q12p and a GTFX1000 2u set - fullness. There is good bottom end coming from the MKII but the idea of more of it from a 12"? I just couldn't resist.

I actually started out with Dynaudio BM5A's, but ultimately switched to a pair of KRK Rokit-8 G2s along with a KRK 10s sub. Eventually I'd like to try the 10s sub (or another sub) with a pair of Dynaudio BM6A MKII (or other quality pair of high-end) active monitors, but honestly, I am actually quite satisfied with the G2 series KRK monitors and sub.

Stupid question I know but I am currently using a pair of Dynaudio BM5A Mk IIs and I just feel that they make the tone from the Axe II sound "small". I realize I won't get the "amp in the room" sound from an Axe but if I play the Axe through my Crown D75-A amp into a set of old Paradigm stereo speakers the Axe sounds great! Through the Dynaudios the Axe sounds kinda small and "distant"- it's not volume that's the problem. I can't figure out why they sound so small. Prerecorded CDs sound great through the Dynaudios though. I would just use the Paradigms but at times they seem to "bottom out" and distort (which I can't prevent for some reason on certain chords).

Any help would be appreciated. Sounds like some guys love the Dynaudios here with the Axe. I'm not sure why I don't. I've tried the adjustments on the back but no good. Like I said, music sound fine, it's just the Axe that's not doing it for me through the Dyns.

Back
Top Bottom