Best Speakers to Play Axe II Through

I was suggesting buying a 2x12 guitar cabinet or hybrid cab like the Matrix NL212. Then use: AxeFx II (no cab block) -> neutral power amp -> guitar cab.

My suggestion had nothing to do with Atomic. I do own two Atomic CLR's and love them though. The CLR's are a phenomenal product.

I think the best way to get the guitar amp in the room experience with the AxeFx, is to use a guitar cabinet. It just works.

I agree with this 100%. The CLR is fantastic if you like FRFR and want to listen to the sound of your amp mic'd through a great monitor, however I sold my CLR because I prefer the amp in the room sound.

I'm personally still on the fence about the whole FRFR or NL12 setup. I haven't gotten a chance to play through the NL12's yet, but I do have a Xitone FRFR cab, which is great, but I'll admit that I am struggling a bit with finding a tone that isn't "boomy" and such. Anyways.... let me ask you guys a question. Not sure if you use the AFX in this way, but if you go with a NON-FRFR cab and build presets based up on that tone, aren't you eliminating the option to run direct FOH or record direct since the tones you've built will be incorporating no cabs/mics, etc.? So then you'd have to rebuild new presets for those options?

When I purchased the AFX, I did want to TRY and find a way to have my live and studio sound be the same so that I wasn't fighting the issue of micing and creating sounds in the studio that I couldn't reproduce through my tube amp, etc. That's why I went with FRFR, figuring that it would offer me the best indication of what I would hear across all applications... live, studio, direct, etc.

So, IMO... I think that if you want to find the best setup that will give you the best tone as an indicator of what the audience hears, as well as you and so on... then FRFR is the way to go? But if you just want a live rig that has a guitar cab for feel/tone, but not looking for that preset to easily translate to other forms, then the NL12's or other cab choice may be the way to go? I think I'm correct in that thinking. :)

I'm personally still on the fence about the whole FRFR or NL12 setup. I haven't gotten a chance to play through the NL12's yet, but I do have a Xitone FRFR cab, which is great, but I'll admit that I am struggling a bit with finding a tone that isn't "boomy" and such. Anyways.... let me ask you guys a question. Not sure if you use the AFX in this way, but if you go with a NON-FRFR cab and build presets based up on that tone, aren't you eliminating the option to run direct FOH or record direct since the tones you've built will be incorporating no cabs/mics, etc.? So then you'd have to rebuild new presets for those options?

This is what I do. Different presets for different settings. I use an FRFR monitor with IR's at Church (FBT Verve 8ma which is great for that setting but not big/loud enough for anything other than a personal monitor in a loud band setting with acoustic drums), but my preference for playing by myself or jamming with friends is to use a power amp and cab with cab sims turned off in the AxeII.

If I were currently gigging, I would go with an FRFR monitor and send a direct signal to the board even thought I prefer the tones/feel of a power amp/cab setup. I use different presets when using a power amp/cab setup - no way around that.

When I purchased the AFX, I did want to TRY and find a way to have my live and studio sound be the same so that I wasn't fighting the issue of micing and creating sounds in the studio that I couldn't reproduce through my tube amp, etc. That's why I went with FRFR, figuring that it would offer me the best indication of what I would hear across all applications... live, studio, direct, etc.

Recording is NEVER the same as playing live. Tones that work in a recording/mix may or may not be suitable to live playing. I would never approach it as I'm getting tones that work in all settings whether it's an analog rig or a digital rig with an FRFR monitor or not.

So, IMO... I think that if you want to find the best setup that will give you the best tone as an indicator of what the audience hears, as well as you and so on... then FRFR is the way to go? But if you just want a live rig that has a guitar cab for feel/tone, but not looking for that preset to easily translate to other forms, then the NL12's or other cab choice may be the way to go? I think I'm correct in that thinking. :)

Yes, I agree with your reasoning and that echoes my experience.

It really comes down to personal preference, and no amount of internet discussion will ever replace hands on experience. You're just going to have to try it for yourself and choose what works best for you. unfortunately, that can mean going through a few different solutions. There is no one best solution that will work for everyone.

You don't have to use different presets.

Checkout the OUT 1 FOH OUT 2 CAB preset at the end of factory bank C.

It is one straight line in the grid that sends the CAB output to FOH and the non CAB output for use with a guitar cab. Very simple but powerful routing. All using one row in the grid. One preset.

You don't have to use different presets.

Checkout the OUT 1 FOH OUT 2 CAB preset at the end of factory bank C.

It is one straight line in the grid that sends the CAB output to FOH and the non CAB output for use with a guitar cab. Very simple but powerful routing. All using one row in the grid. One preset.

That's a really good idea. I have never tried that... I think it would be really good if you had a good IR of your cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom