Best Speakers to Play Axe II Through

DFauvre

Inspired
The atomics I am sure a great, but they are $1k each. Other suggestions? Playing through my Mackie HR824s is getting really old. How about through two Marshall Class 5 amps? Or some kind of PA? Need suggestions with budget of $1k total for 2 speakers. I want a guitar amp vibe.

That's going to be tough with your budget because if you are running through any kind of giutar amp set-up, you will need a Power Amp and the nice ones can run close to $1K, into a guitar cab. You then still have to buy the cab itself. I don't like the sound of an Axe FX II run through a combo amp. To me it sounds horrid, but I think with your budget, it's going to be hard to get anything else. $1K will get you a nice powered FRFR setup. My Xitone 1x12 Active Wedge (with a 50W Matrix Power Amp) was just over $800, but sounds AMAZING.

If you're running through a PA, a good powered PA system is not cheap.

You might consider the QSC K10s. They can be had for around $450-500 on the used markets.

I used a pair of K10s for two years, on club and festival dates, until I traded up to the Atomic CLR.

I have Mackie 624's with a JBL sub as my main studio monitor setup.

I'd suggest rolling with one CLR and keep the Mackie's you have.

I've done a LOT of gigs (50+) with just one CLR. Does the job.

So you are suggesting I get 1 Atomic wedge? And use that WITH the Mackies? It is used as a sub? How would this be hooked up? All 3 going at the same time? Or No?

1 CLR will probably sound great by itself, or along with 1 of the Mackies, or you can run wet/dry/wet with both mackies. In that case CLR would be dry using output 2 by putting an fx loop block before the wet effects.

I do the power amp and cab route (GT1000FX and Marshall JCM900 A cab). I tried running 2 QSC k10's at one points and frankly hated having to plug and unplug the xlr's and power cables to those things each time we played. We dont get 2 hour long sets and the freedom to set up slowly. We're a get on stage and ready to play in 5 or less type of band. I prefer just having to plug in the cable to my cab while the rest stays hooked up in my setup. But thats just me.

Reactions: LVC
I would go with a Matrix amp and an Xitone passive cab.

Now you have the flexibility of going through FRFR (xitone) and/or a real cab for just a little bit more than one CLR active cab.

If you buy a powered monitor and spend a grand (CLR)-- you are stuck with powered FRFR only with no flexibility to change up in the future unless you spend another grand plus. I think the difference would be somewhere around 2-$300 to get the Matrix plus the xitone passive instead of the CLR or another comprable active FRFR monitor.

Limited to around 1K USD, I would buy a Matrix power amp and a used 2x12 guitar cab; either open back or closed depending on your preference.

You already have a studio monitor / FRFR rig. Getting a power amp -> guitar cab rig will give you a chance to experience the AxeFx in a whole new way.

Both really rock. I go back and forth between 2 Atomic powered CLR's and a Crown power amp -> various guitar cabs. The change up is nice.

This actually makes the most sense to me.

Limited to around 1K USD, I would buy a Matrix power amp and a used 2x12 guitar cab; either open back or closed depending on your preference.

You already have a studio monitor / FRFR rig. Getting a power amp -> guitar cab rig will give you a chance to experience the AxeFx in a whole new way.

Both really rock. I go back and forth between 2 Atomic powered CLR's and a Crown power amp -> various guitar cabs. The change up is nice.

The atomics I am sure a great, but they are $1k each. Other suggestions? Playing through my Mackie HR824s is getting really old. How about through two Marshall Class 5 amps? Or some kind of PA? Need suggestions with budget of $1k total for 2 speakers. I want a guitar amp vibe.

So are you looking at going FRFR or Amp and guitar cab ?

Khm. I think a real guitar cab is fun, but actually that is the limited way! You are limiting yourself to 1 guitarcab sound . Marhsall, Fender, Vox going to have the same speaker tone...

Going FRFR actually lets you choose the proper speaker tone to your amp.
.. and what is the best FRFR solution around $1K is something you (or LVC ;) ) have to decide

Although, you already have Mackies studio monitors, don't forget that CLR has 12" speaker, that will give you a whole different experience. I had Mackie 624s and there is a huge difference between them.

Last edited:
Khm. I think a real guitar cab is fun, but actually that is the limited way! You are limiting yourself to 1 guitarcab sound . Marhsall, Fender, Vox going to have the same speaker tone...

There are lots of options here if you can afford different cabs. Or loading a 2x12 with two different speakers wired for stereo. Or getting 2 different 1x12 cabs etc. I find it nice to be able to completely ignore IR's once and while too.

I am lucky because I can afford both FRFR CLR's and already had some good guitar cabs too.

I contacted Atomic with your suggestion and they didn't know how this would be done. What are you suggesting?

You made an interesting comment in your OP that you wanted a "a guitar amp vibe".

Think you need to clarify what you mean here because if you if you are looking for the AXE to sound and feel like a guitar amp in the room (like a traditional amp/cab would) -- you might be disappointed with a FRFR solution and you might be better off getting an SS amp (like the Matrix) and using one of your cabs or buying one of their cabs (NL12 or NL2x12) which work flawlessly (IMO) with all of the preamps in Axe.

If you have the resources, build custom cabinets and use your choice of drivers. I did this with 2-12" Faital Pro 12FH500's in each one. I use the XLS line of Crown amplifiers.
What ever you do, try to go with a stereo setup. The AXE FX was designed to produce great sounding stereo.

I contacted Atomic with your suggestion and they didn't know how this would be done. What are you suggesting?

I was suggesting buying a 2x12 guitar cabinet or hybrid cab like the Matrix NL212. Then use: AxeFx II (no cab block) -> neutral power amp -> guitar cab.

My suggestion had nothing to do with Atomic. I do own two Atomic CLR's and love them though. The CLR's are a phenomenal product.

I think the best way to get the guitar amp in the room experience with the AxeFx, is to use a guitar cabinet. It just works.

Reactions: sam
Back
Top Bottom