Best solutions to address the "No headphones output" issue.

I posted the result of my search in the "headphones???" thread. In short: I am pretty happy with the very flat EQed AKG 702 headphones, they translate very well to my FRFR monitor. The output is a bit to low without headphone amp for my taste but can be used without when the OUT is fully turned up and low volume is acceptable. I ordered the battery powered Inakustik headphone No. 1 which I believe to be an alternative to the Fiio amps. I will report back when I have it in my hands.

One interesting "two in one" solution I found was to use mine Zoom H5 (H4 will also work). Besides the fact that it works to "monitor" the sound (aka plug a headphone :D) it also can record on the fly, no need for a computer or a DAW. Quite handy :)

I Purchased a Hosa YPP-308 Y Cable to use with the AX8. Sadly I can hear from only 1 side (left) of the headphones. Does anyone know why this may be happening? Did I purchase the wrong Y cable?
I can't add links yet so please google the product name.

One interesting "two in one" solution I found was to use mine Zoom H5 (H4 will also work). Besides the fact that it works to "monitor" the sound (aka plug a headphone :D) it also can record on the fly, no need for a computer or a DAW. Quite handy :)
great idea!

I use an O2 headphone amp, which sounds magnificent. It would be the best possible bang for the buck in terms of headphone amplifiers ($60), especially if you build it yourself. I would post some links here, but the forum doesn't allow me to do so, until I have 10 posts or more.

I Purchased a Hosa YPP-308 Y Cable to use with the AX8. Sadly I can hear from only 1 side (left) of the headphones. Does anyone know why this may be happening? Did I purchase the wrong Y cable?
I can't add links yet so please google the product name.

Hmmm, to me it looks like the jacks are stereo, but should be mono.
I also have an Y cable that I use with the headphone amp, but the jacks are mono and it works fine.

I should have been more specific in the first post: wanted to dedicated this thread to finding best portable solutions, those that don't require an external power supply. Sound interfaces and headphone amps with dedicated power supply are of course the most obvious and easy solutions.

I should have been more specific in the first post: wanted to dedicated this thread to finding best portable solutions, those that don't require an external power supply. Sound interfaces and headphone amps with dedicated power supply are of course the most obvious and easy solutions.

The O2 headphone amp that I recommended, uses two rechargable 9V batteries, that are charged by the AC/AC adapter whenever it is connected. On a full charge, the O2 runs between 8-10 hours on the batteries. There is also a low-power version, which extends the runtime to 20-30 hours per charge, if your headphones have an impedance of 32ohm or more.

My Zoom H5 runs in two AA batteries. And records too :)

Two in one: headphone out and USB/portable recorder.

I also had a pair of radio shack y-cables laying around and they only produce a mono signal to headphones...

I also had a pair of radio shack y-cables laying around and they only produce a mono signal to headphones...

It is not a simple Y cable. You need a cable that "merges" the left and the right signals on a stereo plug.

It is simple, on a TS cable (mono cable) the "tip" carries the signal and the "sleeve" is ground.
In a TRS cable (stereo) the "tip" is one signal, the "ring" is another and the sleeve is still ground.

So, the cable you need (like the one I linked from Amazon) is one that gets one "tip" from one TS and links it to the "tip" on the TRS, the other "tip" from the other TS and links it to the "ring" on the TRS, and connects all sleeves together, grounding everything.

The regular Y cable don't do that. They connect all "tips" together. Therefore, it will make your stereo effects sound mono, because the signals gets "sum".

A very easy way to check that is with a multimeter with a continuity check.

Back
Top Bottom