Best solutions to address the "No headphones output" issue.

Barmaleus

Experienced
Hi everyone!

Sadly, AX8 does not have a dedicated headphones output. Let's have a proper discussion on this topic.

Some people proposed an Y cable to get the sound from the line outputs. This creates an impedance mismatch between output and headphones.
Question: what is the exact effect of the impedance mismatch? Will the sound in the headphones be muffled?

Now, what other solutions do we have? We can get a small headphones amplifier. Most of them need a dedicated power supply. That's not cool - another cable and power socket required.

I found this thing: http://www.thomann.de/intl/m_audio_bass_traveler.htm. It is running off a built-in battery that can be recharged through USB. So, no need for more power sockets
Question: anyone tried it, is it adequate?

Feel free to comment and post your findings/feedback on this topic. I will add best solutions to the original post, so any newcomers will have information readily available.

Thanks! =)

I have tested the Fiio A3 and SPL Crimson interface' (which is a very decent piece of gear) headphone outputs.
I have switched the headphones - KRK 6400 - back and forth many times and could not realistically notice difference in sound. What I heard was extremely similar sound. Technically, there IS some difference of course, because these are different pieces of gear. But I could not find it.
Also, when switching, I did not notice any hyped frequencies. To me, at default settings Fiio 3 has a flat EQ (you can flip a switch to add more bass).

For the very specific purpose I had in mind - tiny amp for headphones without a power supply - it works perfectly fine. I can now plug in AX8, turn it on, connect this little amp and play with headphones if I am away from a sound interface.

TL;DR - Fiio A3 works just fine with AX8.

Last edited:
It looks like it would work. The impedance issue is resolved, and it can take a line level input.

With respect to the mismatch, without diving too deep the basic effect would be a noticeable reduction in volume. The headphone amp you have posted a link to looks like it would work as to the quality of the audio reproduction I couldn't say as I have no experience with that unit.

i know it sounds ludicrous and would void the warranty but what about a mod to just add a headphone jack by tapping the balanced outs or something, wouldn't seem to involve much.

I forgot to mention - I do have a proper audio interface. Main point is using AX8 independently with just headphones :)

Some people proposed an Y cable to get the sound from the line outputs. This creates an impedance mismatch between output and headphones.
That was me, and I didn't think about the impedance at the time. I think I only tried it once or twice - my Y cable was shorting out or something - and I didn't notice the sound issue. Apologies if I led anyone astray.

I normally use my Axe Fx as the interface so I just use the headphone out.

I plugged a Y adapter into the main outs L & R and it all sounds great with Sennheiser HD280 headphones. Output level knob at about a third to half of the way up.

I would think that the Blue Mofi headphones, with their built-in amp, would help solve that mismatch issue.

It is true that there is a noticeable volume drop when using headphones without an amp.

At home, my AX8 runs through a Yamaha AG06.

I plugged a Y adapter into the main outs L & R and it all sounds great with Sennheiser HD280 headphones. Output level knob at about a third to half of the way up.

I just received my Y adapter and will try it out with my Grado headphones and report back

That was me, and I didn't think about the impedance at the time. I think I only tried it once or twice - my Y cable was shorting out or something - and I didn't notice the sound issue. Apologies if I led anyone astray.
No problem - we are here to share experience and investigate stuff together :)
I just don't know specific details of electronics, that's why the impedance question.

Are these high impedance headphones? I can actually google it myself... :D

I just received my Y adapter and will try it out with my Grado headphones and report back
Cool! Let us know, please.

Just noticed you were looking for a solution that doesn't require an additional power supply.

I tested my new Y cable with my Grado SR20 headphones and it sounded great to me. I had to turn up the output one knob to 1 or 2 o'clock.
Same here with my Sennheiser headphones, which are 64 ohms. I was using a mixer in the past, and I wasn't happy with the sound of many amps/patches. My output is at about 3 o'clock.

Back
Top Bottom