Best Practices For Updating To Cygnus?

4406cuda

Inspired
I am on 15.x and all my presets are backed up. I have some universal parameters configured, speaker modeling = off, input level, etc...

What are the steps I should take to make the upgrade painless? I have about 60 presets with several scenes that I use in a cover band.

Any help is appreciated.

I am on 15.x and all my presets are backed up. I have some universal parameters configured, speaker modeling = off, input level, etc...

What are the steps I should take to make the upgrade painless? I have about 60 presets with several scenes that I use in a cover band.

Any help is appreciated.
I just backed up my presets and then updated to 16. I just auditioned my presets and many sound really off. I noted a lot of my presets are very noisy and it seems like many presets where I use a Drive are way too hot. The levels seem to be all over the place too. I know the amps are going to sound better but this is going to take a lot of tweaking to get the presets to sound right again. Unfortunately, I have a gig on Friday and not enough time between now and then to go through and change all my presets. So, I am going back to FW 15 for the gig and then tackle this next week. Good luck with yours.

I fooled around with tweaking existing presets a bit when I switched from 15 to 16. In the end, I found that an amp block hard reset for every channel was the best approach, essentially starting over. 16 is that different, but better in the end. YMMV

I fooled around with tweaking existing presets a bit when I switched from 15 to 16. In the end, I found that an amp block hard reset for every channel was the best approach, essentially starting over. 16 is that different, but better in the end. YMMV
Is there a more efficient way to do a hard reset for very channel for very amp block individually?

Is there a more efficient way to do a hard reset for very channel for very amp block individually?
I went into each channel of each block and pressed CTRL-I (or COMMAND-I in Windows).

I believe FracTool can get it done too.

Since I have no gigs or anything that will keep me from it, and since nearly all of my existing presets are heavily based on Austinbuddy’s work or factory presets, I think I’m just going to start 16.0 with a blank bank and just start fiddlin’ until they are updated and then compare.

The latest Axe-Edit was released today, and it now has a Reset Amp Blocks option. Here's the discussion:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-08-13.172279/

To reset your amp blocks the easy way:
1. Go to Tools -> Manage Presets
2. Select one or more presets in the list
3. Right-click and select Reset AMP Blocks
4. Sit back and watch the magic happen :)

Any help is appreciated.
If you're using Fractool,

I metion this method in this post; https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tip-of-the-hat-to-fractool.172033/

1. Backup your presets,
  2. Open Fractool and Choose the 'Amp Resetter' tab,
  3. Select the parameters you want to keep the same settings,
  4. Enter the presets, or preset range you want to reset the amps in,
  5. Hit apply.
DONE!

Although it’s not specified in the release notes, it seems to work in both the authentic and ideal mode. Ideal keeps more of your original settings. I’m going to experiment more in the morning to make sure I’m right.

Edit--I was incorrect. Whatever appears on the authentic page of each specific amp does not change after the reset, but everything else does. For instance, if an amp has a presence control in the authentic page, it will remain at the value you changed it to after the reset. If it does not have a presence control on the authentic page and you changed the value on the ideal page, it will return to it's default value. All values in the other pages (preamp, power amp, speaker, EQ, etc.) will return to default.

So, if you want to save things you already have tweaked that are not on the real amp, your only options are to make notes before you reset or use Fractool Amp Resetter.

Last edited:
These are the things I would do (and will do, when I get to it)

1. Reset the amp block
  2. Dial the settings on the authentic page
  3. Experiment with different Speaker impedance curves (maybe redial authentic page)
  4. Experiment with Power Tube Grid Bias (it seems the default bias point was changed since FW15.1)
  5. Experiment with speaker compression/distortion and compliance to get the right feel of the sound (speaker compression algo is completely new)

1. Reset the amp block
  3. Experiment with different Speaker impedance curves (maybe redial authentic page)
  4. Experiment with Power Tube Grid Bias (it seems the default bias point was changed since FW15.1)
  5. Experiment with speaker compression/distortion and compliance to get the right feel of the sound (speaker compression algo is completely new)
Thanks man.

Note: resetting amp settings for ALL presets will take a long time. Just in case anyone wanted to do this and dive right in. Guess I'll go make coffee.

1. Reset the amp block
@Smittefar quick question: for item 1, I did that using the Axe Edit "Manage Presets" function that allows you to select all presets and then reset amps for all. Is that what you meant? Also, I will search but if you have any helpful info/guidance on items 3, 4 and 5, please point me in the right direction. I remember seeing some discussion about each of these but it would be helpful to know how folks are using these settings with particular amps to achieve good results. Many thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom