Best Practice Of Cab Block For Live Use?

4406cuda

Inspired
With the new Dyna Cab in Beta, what is the best practice for live use after the Dyna cabs are released.

I play in a cover band and use a preset per song and use at least 10 different amp models.

Is it best to keep my cab models to a minimum in consideration of the sound guy?

Currently, I run my cleans and eob amps through Leon's ev 4x12 cab and my crunch and lead tones through Leon's Mix 7. I am very excited to try the dyna cabs and hope to take advantage of them. Just curious on your thoughts on what would be best in my setting.

Is it best to keep my cab models to a minimum in consideration of the sound guy?
I think the only correct answer is "probably" but the cab is not the be-all and end-all of how your tone fits and sits.

I DO think it's possible that you can prepare a set of vastly different tones to be correct. I know this because I've helped to do it for various tribute bands, cover bands, and variety show acts.

In light of this same conversation held recently in another area of our forum, I recently re-wrote the owner's manual section on how to level sounds and tones. Here's a sneak peek at the draft:

=========

Musicians face an almost universal challenge of getting levels “right.” Audiences, bandmates, and live sound technicians expect a degree of consistency when you present your sound during a performance. Fractal Audio products give you excellent control over your levels, but even with the right tools, you still need the knowledge of how to approach this problem. Volume is only a part of the equation, and tone must also be taken into consideration. Without this understanding, you might think you have things right, only to find yourself lost in a mix or suddenly too loud. Here are some points to consider.

WHAT TO KNOW...WHAT TO DO
Human hearing is variable. This due to a phenomenon called the Fletcher-Munson effect, as represented by equal-loudness contour curves.In short, when the volume changes, the tone seems to change too. At lower volumes, low and high frequencies seem relatively quieter. As volume increases, bass and treble frequencies become more prominent.Adjust at high volume levels as if you were at a performance. Be on the lookout for tones that are too boomy or too bright when you turn them up, and adjust accordingly. Conversely, recognize that changes in tone can be perceived as changes in volume: “Mids” can help guitars stand out a mix.
Context is king. When you’re in a mix, your tone can sound vastly different than it does in isolation. Competing frequencies from other instruments can impact how your level and tone are perceived.Check your levels in context of a band or track, and make adjustments based on what you hear. Also, beware of constant change: while you have the ability to create unique sounds for each song, it’s usually better to start with a set of core tones that work well across your entire set and branch out from there.
Speakers matter... and they vary tremendously. Different sound systems, even those that claim to be “flat”, emphasize different frequencies, which alters tone and perceived volume for a listener. Speakers also have different directivity, so where you stand changes what you hear.Set levels on the same system you will perform with, or use the best and most accurate speakers you can find. Be prepared to make adjustments on other systems. If someone else is mixing, walk around with a wireless or long cable to see how you sound. Listen to reference material such as a favorite recording.
Rooms have a sound. Room acoustics play a role in your tone and levels. The position of the listener matters, and certain characteristics can change when an audience occupies the space. Even with high-quality studio monitors and effective acoustic treatment, most rooms still have significant dips and peaks in their frequency response.Be prepared to make adjustments based on the acoustics of the room you’re playing in to ensure your sound translates well in the space. Recognize that acoustical irregularities can influence tone sculpting. Again, listen to reference material if possible, like they do when playing a CD to dial in a concert PA.
Gain kills. Excessive gain can muddy your sound and compress its dynamic range, resulting in a uniform and less expressive tone that is difficult to distinguish.Find the right balance. Gain, overdrive, distortion—call it what you will—it can be great, but handle with care...and understand that lowering gain can improve your tone, increase dynamics, and add clarity and punch.

With the new Dyna Cab in Beta, what is the best practice for live use after the Dyna cabs are released.

I play in a cover band and use a preset per song and use at least 10 different amp models.

Currently, I run my cleans and eob amps through Leon's ev 4x12 cab and my crunch and lead tones through Leon's Mix 7. I am very excited to try the dyna cabs and hope to take advantage of them. Just curious on your thoughts on what would be best in my setting.
Using at least the same speaker, i.e. V30, Celestion Blue, Greenback etc..., makes sense to me and how I approach live presets with different amps. While we as guitar players can hear the difference, the audience really isn't going to notice you're using the "wrong" speaker in the context of a mix.

I’ve also trimmed down my IR use to the LT Mix 7 for most of my live presets.
If you like that bright Greenback tone try the Lerxt dynacab with a dynamic mic.

From my time in the booth, I can give you some perspective from an FoH point of view.

First and foremost, your levels have to be consistent throughout the show and NOT change from soundcheck. Doesn't mean you can't boost for a solo, or dial back for an introspective tune, just means FoH should not have to adjust your gain mid-show. Nothing pisses of the sound guy faster than being sand-bagged at soundcheck. Notice I said gain. No problem if he/she has to pull your fader now and again. That's part of the job.

Now, on to your original question...

As far as number of amps and IR's go, as long as your tone sits in the mix and is appropriate for the song, FoH should not have to do any EQing on the fly. So that means that you can feel free to use as many as amps/IRs as you like, just make sure they have been dialed-in in the context of a full band setting. If you have not had time to do that, or it is your first time out, then reduce the number of amps and IRs until you are comfortable where you sit in the mix. Feel free to communicate your intentions to FoH so that they are not surprised by some tone variation, BTW.

IMO, for a cover band you can sacrifice "consistent sound" for song accuracy every time, although others may disagree with that. For original material, I would say the opposite. It is probably more important to develop "your sound" and that probably means reducing the number amps and IRs deployed.

One final caveat I'll add. If it's a "one-off" situation with the FoH person, it is very often best to reduce the number of variables, somewhat. If said FoH person is familiar with you and your playing, and/or is very solid, then the more you can throw at them.

Last edited:
I agree on not changing you IR’s frequently during a live performance. The IR is probably the most impactful factor in how your guitar sits in the mix. I remember discovering that in college when I changed IR’s during a rehearsal and just fell out of the mix.

It’s also kind to the sound tech, as it makes their job easier, they can then follow the vocalists treating the mic like a “magic stick” or tell off the drunk guy telling them about “this one time in Sturgis”

I think the only correct answer is "probably" but the cab is not the be-all and end-all of how your tone fits and sits.

I DO think it's possible that you can prepare a set of vastly different tones to be correct. I know this because I've helped to do it for various tribute bands, cover bands, and variety show acts.

In light of this same conversation held recently in another area of our forum, I recently re-wrote the owner's manual section on how to level sounds and tones. Here's a sneak peek at the draft:

=========

Musicians face an almost universal challenge of getting levels “right.” Audiences, bandmates, and live sound technicians expect a degree of consistency when you present your sound during a performance. Fractal Audio products give you excellent control over your levels, but even with the right tools, you still need the knowledge of how to approach this problem. Volume is only a part of the equation, and tone must also be taken into consideration. Without this understanding, you might think you have things right, only to find yourself lost in a mix or suddenly too loud. Here are some points to consider.

Human hearing is variable. This due to a phenomenon called the Fletcher-Munson effect, as represented by equal-loudness contour curves.In short, when the volume changes, the tone seems to change too. At lower volumes, low and high frequencies seem relatively quieter. As volume increases, bass and treble frequencies become more prominent.Adjust at high volume levels as if you were at a performance. Be on the lookout for tones that are too boomy or too bright when you turn them up, and adjust accordingly. Conversely, recognize that changes in tone can be perceived as changes in volume: “Mids” can help guitars stand out a mix.
Context is king. When you’re in a mix, your tone can sound vastly different than it does in isolation. Competing frequencies from other instruments can impact how your level and tone are perceived.Check your levels in context of a band or track, and make adjustments based on what you hear. Also, beware of constant change: while you have the ability to create unique sounds for each song, it’s usually better to start with a set of core tones that work well across your entire set and branch out from there.
Speakers matter... and they vary tremendously. Different sound systems, even those that claim to be “flat”, emphasize different frequencies, which alters tone and perceived volume for a listener. Speakers also have different directivity, so where you stand changes what you hear.Set levels on the same system you will perform with, or use the best and most accurate speakers you can find. Be prepared to make adjustments on other systems. If someone else is mixing, walk around with a wireless or long cable to see how you sound. Listen to reference material such as a favorite recording.
Rooms have a sound. Room acoustics play a role in your tone and levels. The position of the listener matters, and certain characteristics can change when an audience occupies the space. Even with high-quality studio monitors and effective acoustic treatment, most rooms still have significant dips and peaks in their frequency response.Be prepared to make adjustments based on the acoustics of the room you’re playing in to ensure your sound translates well in the space. Recognize that acoustical irregularities can influence tone sculpting. Again, listen to reference material if possible, like they do when playing a CD to dial in a concert PA.
Gain kills. Excessive gain can muddy your sound and compress its dynamic range, resulting in a uniform and less expressive tone that is difficult to distinguish.Find the right balance. Gain, overdrive, distortion—call it what you will—it can be great, but handle with care...and understand that lowering gain can improve your tone, increase dynamics, and add clarity and punch.
Loving this.

Fractal manuals: not just toolbox training, but lessons in how to be a good guitarist.

As far as number of amps and IR's go, as long as your tone sits in the mix and is appropriate for the song, FoH should not have to do any EQing on the fly. So that means that you can feel free to use as many as amps/IRs as you like, just make sure they have been dialed-in in the context of a full band setting.
Excellent point. This is why a clean tone and a screamin’ lead tone can be used in the same set. :)

=========

So good

Back
Top Bottom