Best Power Amp

sarruffat

Hi guys. Fairly new AXE FX II user here for the last several months. Going to ask a question that has been likely beat to death already - what is the best power amp for the AXE FX II running into a mesa rectifier 2 x 12. I currently have the Mesa Boogie 2:90. I think it works just fine but I have nothing to compare it to. I have seen people talk about the Matrix. I'd like to know if Matrix is the way to go or did I do just fine with getting the 2:90. Thanks all for your time. Cheers!

Matrix is one of the best power amp solution because Matrix may go FRFR for a HiFi sound in stereo , but may go in a guitar cab too with great results . The 2:90 can't handle all the frequencies , and into an frfr would be a disaster because u are dealing only with a 12" resonance but also crossover resonance and HF resonance.

Hi guys. Fairly new AXE FX II user here for the last several months. Going to ask a question that has been likely beat to death already - what is the best power amp for the AXE FX II running into a mesa rectifier 2 x 12. I currently have the Mesa Boogie 2:90. I think it works just fine but I have nothing to compare it to. I have seen people talk about the Matrix. I'd like to know if Matrix is the way to go or did I do just fine with getting the 2:90. Thanks all for your time. Cheers!

As you said, the topic has been discussed in great length in this Forum.

My first suggestion is to saddle up at your PC/Mac/iPad/whatever and read through this area of the Forum 'Amps and Cabs'.

Second suggestion would be to give more detail on what you are trying to accomplish because there is absolutely no single answer. Different solutions for different people....and you're going to see lots of that.
But maybe start by describing what your decision factors are:

- is size/weight of the amp a factor?
- style of tones?
- are you going to be gigging?
- are you gong to run direct to FOH
- do you want to utilize the Axe Power Amp modeling? (or do you like the Mesa tube tone?)
- may you be using a speaker other than your 2x12 at some point?

Thanks for the reply. Size and weight really aren't an issue (I'm lying - I had to get a separate two unit rack case for the amp cause it is HEAVY). As for tones - very very subjective, I have a Boogie Mark V and Bogner Ecstacy so somewhere along those lines. Yes, I am gigging, that's why I decided to go AXE FX, was tired of carrying all that stuff. I plan on using my 2 x 12 rectifier for my out. I'd like to try the modeling on the unit to see what it does. Question is, is it better than using the 2:90 and 2 x 12 as an output. I don;t think I would run direct to house mixer.

Thanks for the reply. Size and weight really aren't an issue (I'm lying - I had to get a separate two unit rack case for the amp cause it is HEAVY). As for tones - very very subjective, I have a Boogie Mark V and Bogner Ecstacy so somewhere along those lines. Yes, I am gigging, that's why I decided to go AXE FX, was tired of carrying all that stuff. I plan on using my 2 x 12 rectifier for my out. I'd like to try the modeling on the unit to see what it does. Question is, is it better than using the 2:90 and 2 x 12 as an output. I don;t think I would run direct to house mixer.

I have never used a 2:90 as a power amp but like my Matrix. When you say you want to use the modeling, are you talking about just amp modeling or also the cab modeling? Obviously to use the cab modeling, you would not be able to use your 2x12 rectifier cab. I can tell you that there are a lot of happy Matrix users but there are some folks that like the tube power amps.

From my past experience, I wasnt so happy with the 2:90 for the axe for couple of reasons.
If you are a gigging musician then it is dam heavy.
2nd is the color, the 2:90 DOES color the tone a lot!
The main problem with this amp (for me) is the DEEP function - you engage it when you want extra lows, well…..it's not that engaging it will actually boost the bottom end, it actually "release" it.
When DEEP is not engaged, the amp actually cuts those frequencies.
I remember when I used to have the 2:90 I once tried a friend's amp (wile configured for the 2:90) and the first chord I hit I didn’t understand way all sounds so bassy and boomy.
Then tried studio monitors – again same story, then I got a Carvin DCM200L and again, very bassy so obviously the problem was the way I configured the Axe for extra low-end as I was missing it because I run the 2:90 with the DEEP not engaged.
Anyway, I had very nice results (sound) with the little Carvin amp so I decided to go for a stronger amp, I got a Matrix GT1000 and I'm very happy with It, sound is balanced, plenty of power and the weight…oooo yea!

Now, it's not that the Matrix is the BEST solution for the Axe, it is for me and you should try before putting your $$$ on that.

Regarding CAB SIM - I run the Matrix on 2 x Matrix NL212 (home and gigs) and a 4x12 Marshall cab when rehearsing (also used it with 2 1x12 Boogie EVM12L and ENGL 4x12) and I always without exceptional use cab sim ON, also on high volume gigs.
It's not a law, you don’t HAVE to turn cab sim off when running a real cab, explore and decide.

Last edited:
I use a 2:90 as well and love it as well as many others, Megadeth runs their fractals through marshall power amps, Neal Schon runs his through PRS Archon heads, Steve vai through Carvin heads ECt Ect. Yea tube amps are heavy but I don't cry about it, im not that old yet..I hear some speak of transparency of the SS amps I happen to like what the tubes do to my sound...to each his own.! try before you buy if possible before you get pursuaded to ditch your tubes!!!

The thing about a tube amp is that you won't realize the full flexibility of what the Axe Fx can do.

You're already losing the benefit of cab sims by using a traditional cab... And that's fine, if that's what you want.

But the power amp sim defines quite a bit of what the overall amp model sounds like.

I would recommend a flat reference amp. I have Matrix and it is great on many counts. In fact I recently convinced a friend (and fellow forum member) to switch from a 2:90 to a Matrix after he got to hear mine and then do further comparison with another reference amp.

I should also mention that I owned and liked an ART SLA amp, too. I only went to Matrix due to the weight difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're fine with the narrow dispersion of a conventional guitar cab, then a good SS power amp (like Matrix or Carvin) would do the trick. If you want better sound dispersion and the full benefit of the available cab sims (IR's), then take the money you were planning on spending on a power amp and buy an active CLR wedge (2 would be better).

My concern is occasionally I play outdoors or at smaller venues when I wont be connected to any PA system except for vocals, One time I was stuck under a bridge in New Orleans like a troll playing a private party for cast and crew members of the House Of Shock and im in a metal band and I needed to turn up pretty loud. So ditching my 180 watt stereo tube amp for a Solid state amp and ditching my 2 1960B Marshall cabs for a couple of powered wedges will still give the Power and presence as I had before? Because if so, I think I will need to take the Pepsi challenge as well and try this out but I definitely see your point about utilizing the axe to its potential.

My concern is occasionally I play outdoors or at smaller venues when I wont be connected to any PA system except for vocals, One time I was stuck under a bridge in New Orleans like a troll playing a private party for cast and crew members of the House Of Shock and im in a metal band and I needed to turn up pretty loud. So ditching my 180 watt stereo tube amp for a Solid state amp and ditching my 2 1960B Marshall cabs for a couple of powered wedges will still give the Power and presence as I had before? Because if so, I think I will need to take the Pepsi challenge as well and try this out but I definitely see your point about utilizing the axe to its potential.

You would be surprised! See if you can find somebody close to you that could let you try out an FRFR system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 2 CLR's would be the preferred route and plenty loud for a small outdoor gig. Their wide dispersion would provide a better overall result than guitar cabs. If you do decide to stay with guitar cabs, I would suggest at least a 1000 watt SS amp to drive your cabs. Matrix is popular, but I've used the Carvin DCM1540L which also does a great job.

Last edited:

Among the best power amps in the world are the ones made by Bryston
Any Bryston power amp will reproduce, as closely as possible, the signal the Axe puts out whether going FRFR or through a guitar cab.

Having said that, a Bryston power amp might not be the "best" power amp for you.
They are quite weighty and also quite expensive.

The 2:90 was engineered to *enhance* the tone of Mesa's Triaxis preamp.
It's response is anything but "flat" no matter how you use its switches and modes.
Some guys like to take the Axe's signal and colour it through various power amps amps like this, but to me this goes against the design philosophy of the Axe.
The Axe should be able to create all the tone you need.
If it doesn't do that for you then you really have to question why you bought one in the first place. IMO

I own and currently use a Matrix GT1000 1U power amp.
It sounds quite good but, like the 2:90 and other tube power amps (even the GT is solid state), I feel it does colour the tone somewhat.
This is noticeable when compared to my Bryston 2B LP Pro which sounds noticeably better to me than the GT1000.
It's especially noticeable when the GT1000 is used to power a passive FRFR cabinet.
It sounds quite scooped compared to the Bryston (which is pretty much the industry standard for a flat power amp).

I'd like to buy a GT800 because I think that Matrix made this more to be a typical power amp (what goes in is what comes out, only louder) and they did some mods to that design to create the GT1000.
The GT800 also started out as a modified XT800 which was a PA amplifier, but the only mods here (that I'm aware of) were a lower input sensitivity (the XT's input sensitivity is actually a bit higher than the norm in my experience) and combi connecters (Neutrik plus 1/4") which the XTs didn't have.

So it's my belief that the GT800 colours the tone just a bit less than the GT1000.
But the folks at Matrix usually chime in at this point on my posts claiming that the GT1000s do not colour the tone in any appreciable way.
Still, they will admit that the GT800 and GT1000 DO sound different and will usually say that the GT800 is better for FRFR and the GT1000 is better for guitar cabs.
To my way of thinking that makes no sense.

My advice... Buy a GT800.

Last edited:
If your a gigging player then ask some pro sound engineer friends what's their best option for power amps. Running FRFR is the same and running your own PA on stage so ask guys that build and set up and design PA installs for a living . You might find a great audio amp that suits

Among the best power amps in the world are the ones made by Bryston
Any Bryston power amp will reproduce, as closely as possible, the signal the Axe puts out whether going FRFR or through a guitar cab.

Having said that, a Bryston power amp might not be the "best" power amp for you.
They are quite weighty and also quite expensive.

The 2:90 was engineered to *enhance* the tone of Mesa's Triaxis preamp.
It's response is anything but "flat" no matter how you use its switches and modes.
Some guys like to take the Axe's signal and colour it through various power amps amps like this, but to me this goes against the design philosophy of the Axe.
The Axe should be able to create all the tone you need.
If it doesn't do that for you then you really have to question why you bought one in the first place. IMO

I own and currently use a Matrix GT1000 1U power amp.
It sounds quite good but, like the 2:90 and other tube power amps (even the GT is solid state), I feel it does colour the tone somewhat.
This is noticeable when compared to my Bryston 2B LP Pro which sounds noticeably better to me than the GT1000.
It's especially noticeable when the GT1000 is used to power a passive FRFR cabinet.
It sounds quite scooped compared to the Bryston (which is pretty much the industry standard for a flat power amp).

I'd like to buy a GT800 because I think that Matrix made this more to be a typical power amp (what goes in is what comes out, only louder) and they did some mods to that design to create the GT1000.
The GT800 also started out as a modified XT800 which was a PA amplifier, but the only mods here (that I'm aware of) were a lower input sensitivity (the XT's input sensitivity is actually a bit higher than the norm in my experience) and combi connecters (Neutrik plus 1/4") which the XTs didn't have.

So it's my belief that the GT800 colours the tone just a bit less than the GT1000.
But the folks at Matrix usually chime in at this point on my posts claiming that the GT1000s do not colour the tone in any appreciable way.
Still, they will admit that the GT800 and GT1000 DO sound different and will usually say that the GT800 is better for FRFR and the GT1000 is better for guitar cabs.
To my way of thinking that makes no sense.

My advice... Buy a GT800.

FWIW

I just put my money where my mouth is and ordered a GT800.
I'll report back to the forum with my feelings about the difference between the GT800 and the GT1000 as well as with my Bryston and my ART SLA1.

My hope is that the GT800 will sound much more like the Bryston but with more headroom when using it in stereo.
I spent much of yesterday A/B'ing the Bryston and the GT1000 and am even more convinced now that the GT1000 is colouring the signal.
And I much prefer the Bryston's sound which sounds more "natural" to me and seems to make my Axe II sound more like a real tube-amp rig.
There's a warmth in the mids with the Bryston that seems all hollowed out with the GT1000 and the latter's top end seems quite hyped compared to the former.

I almost bought another used 2B LP Pro that was briefly on Craigslist here in Toronto at a great price.
That would have solved my stereo issues but I'd be lugging several more pounds of power amp around with me and would need to buy a bigger rack.

[The Bryston is only 60 watts a side into my 8 ohm cabs which is fine much of the time.
But on fusion gigs with an aggressive drummer I need more power.
When used in bridged mono mode it's 200 watts into 8 ohms which is plenty of power for anything that I do, i just can't be in stereo.
So I'm hoping that the GT800, with its 250 watts per channel @ 8 ohms and significantly reduced weight, will sound more like the Bryston (than the GT1000 does) but with more power and less weight.]

Back
Top Bottom