Best power amp for Axe-Fx II?

More headroom than the Randall is the only thing I could say - so at higher volumes the amp is not likely to get near the nasty SS clipping stage. Depends on how loud you need your SS amp to go I guess? If you're happy with the sound of your Randall and it's loud enough then you shouldn't worry.
So wait - you're familiar with this specific amp? I don't know anyone who knows this amp. Am I wrong?

Correct - I don't know the Randall. I'm just pointing out that the clean headroom is the obvious initial difference between it and the GT800FX given that you provided the specs as 2 x 80W. The only way to A/B them is to put them side by side and listen I'd guess.

I still stand over my comment that if it sounds good to you and gives you the volume you need - then it's good

Last edited:
Well sure, it sounds good to me. I don't play exceedingly loud. I play smaller rooms and when I do hit a big stage (concert size) there's always a PA. Obviously I understand the wattage. So I have no need for much more power. I was just wondering whether there's something else I'm missing here.

What's the recommendation for people who don't playout anymore, but still looking for a good sound without all the power.

Active nearfield monitors - if you do a search on the forum you'll have hours of reading material on peoples favourites :)

Favourites are personal. I do play a lot at home, and in a very small room. i have neardfields, headphones and the Matrix with a 2x12. My preferred method in that situation is still the Matrix/cab. Second is the headphones - but I want better monitors at which point I may move to them.

The main reason for my preference is even in a small room i prefer to work with a real can not IRs - but thats just me.

Just ordered my fractal and very excited!!!! OK here is my question and or looking for opinion. I have a Mesa boogie road king that is a beast to lug around and I am getting older and that sucks. Lol Any way what would be your take.on me trading it in and and buying some powered JBL'S, EV'S or Peavey's.

Just ordered my fractal and very excited!!!! OK here is my question and or looking for opinion. I have a Mesa boogie road king that is a beast to lug around and I am getting older and that sucks. Lol Any way what would be your take.on me trading it in and and buying some powered JBL'S, EV'S or Peavey's.
Former Road King II rig convert here. Your back won't miss that load in/out, and your ears won't miss a thing. I went with the powered Atomic (50 watt tube version) first and liked it, but then changed to the 700 watt RCF and never looked back. Been using it ever since.

Personally, I would suggest the RCF NX12SMA or Atomic CLR. Both are monsters: they sound great with the Axe Fx, and get good sound quality at all volume levels.

Thanks Rick. So do you use 2 for stereo or just as a monitor and then go through the PA? What I am looking or thinking is stereo, weight, cost, watts, and good sound. I do know everyone has their opinion on it. I definitely thank you for yours and I will keep it in mind. I definitely don't want to lug around cabs.

I'm gonna go slightly against the trend here..

I would say, don't jump into FRFR speakers/cabs just yet.. or power amps either.. In fact you may not necessarily need to buy a power amp at all just yet either.. You already have a power amp = your Valve King.

You can run the Axe FX thru the RETURN of your V.K's effects loop.. By doing this, you're using your V.K as the power amp; it's only purpose is to give you 'valve' or 'tube' push. Why do this? Well, with so many awesome amps within the Axe, you can get a good, strong, true valve tone via your VK but use the Axe to do the rest of what, for example, a Mesa Recto can do, or a JVM, or Friedman Dirty Shirley, or a Cameron CCV, or a 5153 etc etc.. The Axe will give you the amp simulation, your VK will give you the power.

THEN, if this proves to be good and you're happy with it, you can then go down the path of buying a power amp (be it valve or tube), OR, eventually start experimenting with FRFR speakers/cabs..

STRONGEST suggestion.. avoid getting into FRFR straight away.. experiment with 'normal amps/cabs' before going FRFR. I think FRFR can take some time to get used to.. For some, they love it straight away and for others it takes time to get used to. Your ears will be your best judgement.

What's the recommendation for people who don't playout anymore, but still looking for a good sound without all the power.

Yamaha HS5's or HS8's are pretty good reference speakers that a lot guys tend to use. Even the 5's pump out 50w (I think?!) and sound great at low volumes too..

no need to be sarcastic.. since Matrix managed to pack 800 Watt in 1U rack space, I´d not be surprised to see a 200 Watt solution packed in a small enclosure you can store in your gigbag pocket. Being a working musician that uses to fly a lot, something like this would save me many headaches with most airlines..

This made me weak AF

Back
Top Bottom