Best power amp for Axe-Fx II?

Sean1242

I'm saving for Axe-Fx 2 and was wondering what kind of power amp to get. I have a Peavey ValveKing but I would rather have the stereo effect going on rather than mono. I have heard that going straight through a P.A. is better than going to real guitar cabs but I would rather not have to buy a mixer/P.A. speakers. I have about a few solid state power amps but I have no idea where to start when looking for one. Help, anyone?

Welcome to the FAS community!

You might want to do a search or look here to get started: Amps and Cabs

You can also click on the links in my sig which will answer a lot of questions.

There are a LOT of options there, and none is 'best' - it's more like 'what is more suited to YOU'. Going straight to PA is better for me, but there is a huge chunk of the forum that prefers going thru cabs, and an equally large section who prefer to use real amps and cabs and use the axe for fx only. The choice is up to you and the direction you want to go.

If you wish to be more specific with what you are doing, trying to achieve, style you play, budget, preferences, etc etc, and I'm sure you will get some better recommendations suited to your specific needs. Best of luck!

Thanks, man. I really appreciate the information. Needless to say, I'm super new to this forum. But thanks again for all of the info.

I use the Atomic active cabinets and really enjoy them. I haven't gigged with them yet, but I'm pretty sure they will have plenty of volume.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of people seem to rave about the Matrix GT800FX as it was built with the Axe-Fx specifically in mind. I got one last week (noob as well) and have played around with it through a 2x12 guitar cab and it has some serious balls man. I was amazed. Can't wait until my unloaded cabs get here next week. I'll be loading them with EVM 12L's and should have a pretty tight set up. If you'd like I'll let you know how it all works out. Also, feel free to PM me and I'll run through with you how I got all my information and built my rig.

Cheers

It doesnt get any better than the Matrix one imho.. I´m looking forward to see the annunced new amp released. If it´s going to be a little brother of the GT800FX with less power and more portable, I´m sold.

I'm a Matrix convert. I used a few Carvin power amps before and the Matrix has much more authority and mass to the tone. I know that's all subjective, but when you hear them side by side the Matrix tone is above the Carvin line, it sounds much fuller and bolder. I'd talk to the Matrix team if you are unsure about what you need, they'd be happy to help you out. When the GT800 came out I was really curious after all the positive reviews so I contacted them and told them what I wanted. I told them the features in the GT800 I liked and what I needed for power and they made me a custom 2000watt 2U GT2000 basically. I haven't had an issue with it and when I thought my amp was messed up they got on the phone with me and worked through the issue even though it turned out to be the jacks on my cabs. That's service that you don't get anymore.

Matrix GT800FX power is by far my the best change over in my gear so far...more than plenty of power and my back loves it...I would take it into consideration...

Pa speakers v Amp/Cab is a personal choice. If you want to hear what the audience hears then PA speakers is the way to go. If you want traditional back line - either to carry a room or just because thats what your used to then amp/cab is the way.

If you go amp/cabs then its valve power amps or SS. Valves are generally heavier and more costly (though not always) but do add that "valve" thing which is needed in some modellers - and with 1st Gen AFXs some felt it was necessary. SS amps are generally lighter, cheaper and more reliable with less maintenance. They generally lack something - or so some people think, though some are better than others.

The Matrix came from a PA amp (like most other SS amps) but has had come features changed to suit modellers more, and also some design changes to make it work right. Its a small difference but noticeable. Its 1U, and only 3.7kg (just over 8lb) as well as having plenty of power on tap (you need an excess of power compared to valve amps to give headroom and stop your signal clipping when pushed). Its not the only solution out there, but is build with modellers in general - and the AFX specifically in mind. Its similar id guess (in how it reacts) to the Retro channel amp thats iminant, though its smaller,lighter and more powerful than that - no idea of the price for the retro channel though.

the Matrix is a clear choice in the EU where Carvin (another popular brand) is harder to get hold of, and the pricing is better (being a UK brand) - in the US is less cut and dried due to exchange rates BUT its available and supported by Tone merchants so its still attractive.

The New Fryette power amp is a 1U 40 per side valve amp - which is bridgeable to 80w mono and has a selection of "normal" and "flat" responses. Its twice the weight of the Matrix and more expensive (dont know the US price, but its around £1k so id say $1000 is the probably price point) v the matrix $700. Add to that valve replacements and the like and the Matrix still wins on a pure price to performance front. Whether the Matrix is as good as Fryette (of vica versa) will be a personal choice.

Personally, i sold a VHT 2:50:2 in favour of the matrix with my standard. it took some re-tweeking of patches but got so close to tone/feel that the weight/space saving clinched it. if money was an issue as well the Matrix would have been first choice regardless. With the AFX2 its even better as the amp sims in the 2 are a notch better. ultimately with the AFX you want that unit to produce all the valvyness with your amplification being neutral and powerful while retaining the feel. that Matrix does that and does it well.

More portable than the GT800FX? It'd have to have anti-gravity and be able to carry my whole rack itself! ;-)

no need to be sarcastic.. since Matrix managed to pack 800 Watt in 1U rack space, I´d not be surprised to see a 200 Watt solution packed in a small enclosure you can store in your gigbag pocket. Being a working musician that uses to fly a lot, something like this would save me many headaches with most airlines..

Last edited:
I have a very old, solid state Randall 2-80. Clean and very light. I like it, but it doesn't provide a ton of tubey tone. It's kind of tailor made for the Axe Fx I think. I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

You are partly right but I have never had a problem taking a 3 space rack bag into the plane...axe-fz and the Matrix GT800FX...perfect fit and easy in your back.

So that's what I'm asking. Is it more lightness, one unit rack space and clean? I mean that's what I have with the Randall.

no need to be sarcastic.. since Matrix managed to pack 800 Watt in 1U rack space, I´d not be surprised to see a 200 Watt solution packed in a small enclosure you can store in your gigbag pocket. Being a working musician that uses to fly a lot, something like this would save me many headaches with most airlines..
Sorry, didn't mean for that to come off sarcastically. I'm just really enjoying that my entire rack now weighs less than just the separate unit that holds my Mesa.

So that's what I'm asking. Is it more lightness, one unit rack space and clean? I mean that's what I have with the Randall.
More headroom than the Randall is the only thing I could say - so at higher volumes the amp is not likely to get near the nasty SS clipping stage. Depends on how loud you need your SS amp to go I guess? If you're happy with the sound of your Randall and it's loud enough then you shouldn't worry.

Last edited:
yea the difference between caps and FRFR (PA speakers) is a personal choice as paul said. The one thing to think of is if you don't know which way to go I'd recommend getting a rackable power amp so you could use it with guitar cabs or unpowered PA type speakers. If you get powered PA speakers and decide it isn't for right you'll have to get another power amp to use your guitar cabs. Another benefit of PA speakers is their dispersion is wayyyyyy larger and more even then guitar cabs. With guitar cabs you have way different sound as you move around the cab like when you put your head right in front the high end blows your head off and when you take a few steps to the side it all goes away. PA type speakers are way more even over a much larger angle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom