Best patch for VG-8

atmmusic_wi

I'm playing live Saturday and for first time, I'm using my AxeIII and on some of songs, my 20 year old VG-8. Output of VG-8 is fed into back. My normal PRS guitar is fed thru front. Any recommendation for the best clean patch. Right now I am bypassing everything so its just a pure preamp into my Atomic cabinet.

anything wrong with this current sound?
This sounds okay, better on recording as its direct into the recording deck. Thru my older atomic cab, its a bit brittle and bass is not as clean. Particularly as I've been turning up volumes as the club needs some volume. And i know I should look at new amp but I already have two of these. Right now I am just running into the AxeIII with nothing in between the input and output. I'm going to try a parametric EQ before Saturday. I am thinking I should be running into an amp/cab combination maybe(?).

This sounds okay, better on recording as its direct into the recording deck. Thru my older atomic cab, its a bit brittle and bass is not as clean. Particularly as I've been turning up volumes as the club needs some volume. And i know I should look at new amp but I already have two of these. Right now I am just running into the AxeIII with nothing in between the input and output. I'm going to try a parametric EQ before Saturday. I am thinking I should be running into an amp/cab combination maybe(?).
just add an EQ then. for my acoustic guitar, i just use Compressor and Parametric EQ. you don't "need" to use an amp block.

do violin players use an amp and cab?

As a former owner of both the VG99 and VG-8Ex (my first modeler back in the very late 1990s) it is cool to see that people are still finding uses for those cool devices of yesteryear. I listened a bit to your track and as I have been playing with the AxeFx Synth Blocks lately ( covering the Garry Newman tune Cars) you should be able to get a similar violin tone if you play a bit. Just a thought

It is good to see that you are still using the VG8.
I miss some unique VG8 sounds that are not available anymore at the VG99

For that sound, I would use the Axe-FX for a bit of reverb and EQ. You can also try a Tube-Pre Amp Block with 300B power tubes.

Last edited:
*normally.

There is always an exception. That’s why posting on forums can be rough. Someone will always find an exception to share.

Chris - I was just joking around - I did this with a big smile on my face as I am a former PROG SNOB :) -- not trying to bust your chops or be a naysayer. In hindsight I should have added a smiley face or 2 on that post. Sorry if I came across as a wise ass -- that was not my intention.

Chris - I was just joking around - I did this with a big smile on my face as I am a former PROG SNOB :) -- not trying to bust your chops or be a naysayer. In hindsight I should have added a smiley face or 2 on that post. Sorry if I came across as a wise ass -- that was not my intention.
i know *thumbs up*

i've been doing this a while, so it's just an eyeroll for me. it can add another element to the discussion that the new user usually starts asking about. it's just more rabbit holes :)

Back
Top Bottom