Best monitor for Axe-Fx III

I agree, as great as the CLR is, for home enjoyment use only it's probably overkill for most folks. Get a decent pair of studio monitors, any one of the ones you've already listed sounds fine, and you'll be set.
No need to overspend or sacrifice stereo, which seems not a wise advice IMHO. I'd go for E8 or JBL 308P cus cheaper price. HS8, you pay more cus it's so popular, but if you like the pretty white woofer, go for it. SC204, you're probably not going to have as much fun playing through it, and since full rich sound is the goal, go for 8" monitors.

Have you tried a CLR personally ??

@Rocket Brother @RandyVanMartini Did you guys not read the OP's post?

Yes, but my question was originally directed at yeky83.

But now that you bring it up, I'd like to know if the OP tried it as well, doesn't say for sure in his post that he has, and based on my personal hands on experience with the CLRs they absolutely kill as a "bedroom level / home" monitor, just as they do as stage monitors, so Maybe the OPs lg12's were to loud for playing in his room, but did he really try the CLRs in the same context or is he just extrapolating ??

Yes, but my question was originally directed at yeky83.

Oh Ok, I don't think the OP is paying much attention to the thread anyway… Carry on then. ;)

But now that you bring it up, I'd like to know if the OP tried it as well, doesn't say for sure in his post that he has, and based on my personal hands on experience with the CLRs they absolutely kill as a "bedroom level / home" monitor, just as they do as stage monitors, so Maybe the OPs lg12's were to loud for playing in his room, but did he really try the CLRs in the same context or is he just extrapolating ??

Haven't the faintest idea Brother. Aren't they kinda big for a bedroom though? I mean, my Sceptre S8's are almost too big… On the other hand, If I were still married and had my basement, I'd have 4 CLR's. Nah… It'd probably be more K12's, more bang for the buck!

Have you tried a CLR personally ??
Yup, I have one. It's great!

But when someone comes in the thread, doesn't know the difference (or lack thereof) of class AB & D, is considering around ~$500 price range for a pair, and just wants some monitors that have a full & rich sound for home enjoyment, I would not recommend the CLR.

If someone wants a transparent, directivity controlled, coherent, loud, whatcha input is whatcha output, accurate monitor, and budget & size isn't a concern, sure I'd recommend a pair of CLRs. But that's not what's being asked. So it seems an unfit recommendation.

And let me add to our overall convo, the CLR performs really well in objective measurements. Its design aim is in solving problems that other traditional monitors fail at in objective measurements. So if you like it, that's a score for my "objective measurements for monitor evaluation" point. ;)

@RandyVanMartini Hey cool avatar btw, but they should have painted the pickups too. ;) Kidding, actually I have a guitar with painted EMG's, good thing they sound good in there because I can never change them...

Anyone seen a studio monitor shootout with the Axe Fx? I am looking to upgrade my Rokit 5's, but having a hard time hearing the difference with the Yamaha HS8's or the Sceptre S8

Anyone seen a studio monitor shootout with the Axe Fx? I am looking to upgrade my Rokit 5's, but having a hard time hearing the difference with the Yamaha HS8's or the Sceptre S8
Speaker shootouts have severely limited value. You can’t evaluate the way a monitor sounds by listening to it through your own monitors. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom