Best input to use for recording acoustic guitar with mic

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Title says it all. My guitar, Martin OM28e has an LR Baggs Anthem factory preamp. But I really want 75% (about) of the acosutic guitar sound to be from the mic. I don't have great mics for this but OK, I think. Newer SM57 and aCM5 large diaphragm condenser mic(which I use for recording vocals so I would ratrher use the 57 but I open to suggestions. I fingerpick acoustic (around 40 years or so) no picks.
Thank you in advance folks. full disclosure, I have never tried the CM5 on the acoustic because I normally record vocal and guitar at the same time.

If you’re asking which input to plug a mic directly into, there’s really not a preferred one. But the FM9 doesn’t provide phantom power, so you can forget about using condenser mics.

If you’re asking which input to plug a mic directly into, there’s really not a preferred one. But the FM9 doesn’t provide phantom power, so you can forget about using condenser mics.
Rex
I have a Warm Audio WA12 sitting doing nothing. Maybe that would work? I was actually hoping to use the SM57 anyway to be honest. As stated I record both the acoustic and vocals live so I guess input 2 for the mic?

So does the Warm Audio fit the bill for using a condenser mic with the FM9, Of course it has phantom power but i do not want to mess up the FM9?

Yes. The WA12 should work well for either mic. The XLR inputs on the FM9 are not really optimized for low mic level inputs. You can boost the level on the grid to make it work but you might get more noise that way too. The WA12 will give you a better signal level to feed the FM9.

Yes. The WA12 should work well for either mic. The XLR inputs on the FM9 are not really optimized for low mic level inputs. You can boost the level on the grid to make it work but you might get more noise that way too. The WA12 will give you a better signal level to feed the FM9.
Thanks guys. will check it out tomorrow. Honestly I want to record 2 tracks. 1 track with the mic and a 2nd track using the LR Baggs Anthem.

You know I have not asked a question in a while. I like to be safe.
So will the phantom power from the Warm Audio WA12 HURT the FM9-serious question please. Thanks

Like @mr_fender said, your WA12 will work for either mic. As long as you have it there, you may as well use it. It will likely give less noise, though you may or may not be able to hear the difference.

No worries — the phantom power won't bother your FM9. Partly because the FM9 is designed to withstand phantom power. But also because phantom power is between the preamp and the mic; the FM9 never even sees it.

No XLR inputs on the FM9... Maybe on the Axe-FX III?

Have got great results with a 57 in the past.
Recommend starting with 57 about 8-12 inches away from the 12th fret. (Out in front of 12th fret) Leave the 57 there and angle it towards the body as needed. Some guitars are boomer than others.

Also single performance with the 57 and the L R Baggs recording.
Pan both tracks opposite of each other
This is kind of my go-to formula, depends on material of coarse.
Should be a good starting point

Have got great results with a 57 in the past.
Recommend starting with 57 about 8-12 inches away from the 12th fret. (Out in front of 12th fret) Leave the 57 there and angle it towards the body as needed. Some guitars are boomer than others.

Also single performance with the 57 and the L R Baggs recording.
Pan both tracks opposite of each other
This is kind of my go-to formula, depends on material of coarse.
Should be a good starting point
Thanks, yeah I plan to use both. I am from the year of the flood. When we played out acoustically (duo. trios it was a mic into a board. PERIOD.
The Barcus (sp?) Berry came out and shocked the world. Hah! When band jobs got tight me and the other guitar player always went and payed acoustic gigs to live
Thanks again for the info!

Last edited:
No XLR inputs on the FM9
Yes I know but thanks
FM9's inputs 2 and 3 are both TRS balanced, and the WA unit has a TRS balanced output. Just use a 1/4" TRS cable from the WA and the FM9.

Also this depends on the goal you're trying to achieve with the acoustic, but a single performance with 2 inputs hard panned isn't going to be very wide. I'd double track if your goal is width for this particular track.

Last edited:
The warm audio doesn’t produce phantom power. .. It needs it to work. You’ll need a mic preamp between it and the fm9

My bad. Was thinking the wa-cx 12. Their knockoff of the c12. Certainly explains why someone thought a mic produced phantom power “-)

If you are recording acoustic through a mic and the acoustic pickup system - skip the FM9 altogether and go straight into your audio interface. Add your effects (if any) in your DAW.

Back
Top Bottom