Behringer X32Rack or something else?

I gotta say: $1400 and no front panel screen on that unit is kind of suss IMO.
It's all app based... I had a similar concern before buying it but it hasn't been a problem.

We opted for it as our IEM mixer because a) it was a good bit less expensive (at least when bought it about 8 years ago) than the X32 and b) it has more I/O. We can run 6 stereo aux buses if we need to, plus the main stereo output.

Is the recording done in Mixing Station on the iPad or on the X32 itself? We have a full sized X32 at church and this would be a game-changer for us if could figure out how to do it.
On the X32 itself (no iPad, PC, or app required... it's a beautiful thing!). You do however have to purchase this Behringer accessory to provide the SD card slots, which replaces the default plugin card in the back of the X32 unit:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...for-32-channel-sd-sdhc-card-and-usb-recording

It provides for 2 SD slots, so we use it this way:
Slot 1 SD card: Target for all recordings while playing a gig. Thus the card in this slot gets rotated each gig and archived.
Slot 2 SD card: A group of about a dozen songs from previous live gig recordings we use as reference songs during virtual sound checks. Generally these are songs that work well to quickly sound out instrument tones, kick & bass, vocals, etc., mostly to identify any venue-specific EQ needed and to set volume ranges. There's a variety to avoid using a song in the night's setlist as a sound check song if possible.

We're fully automated (and playing against backing tracks from an iPad), so we've also got the iPad (BandHelper) configured to send MIDI to the X32 to start and stop recording to the SD card at the start and end of each song, respectively.

Just to emphasize a point about the brilliance of this feature: the multitrack recordings are the digitized incoming streams from each input to the board, before they hit any channel, effect, or mix processing (uber-pre-fader, and I think pre-trim as well). So once you've got such a recording you can easily experiment with all sorts of mix and processing ideas, whether channel, FX, or overall mix.

On the X32 itself (no iPad, PC, or app required... it's a beautiful thing!). You do however have to purchase this Behringer accessory to provide the SD card slots, which replaces the default plugin card in the back of the X32 unit:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...for-32-channel-sd-sdhc-card-and-usb-recording

It provides for 2 SD slots, so we use it this way:
Slot 1 SD card: Target for all recordings while playing a gig. Thus the card in this slot gets rotated each gig and archived.
Slot 2 SD card: A group of about a dozen songs from previous live gig recordings we use as reference songs during virtual sound checks. Generally these are songs that work well to quickly sound out instrument tones, kick & bass, vocals, etc., mostly to identify any venue-specific EQ needed and to set volume ranges. There's a variety to avoid using a song in the night's setlist as a sound check song if possible.

We're fully automated (and playing against backing tracks from an iPad), so we've also got the iPad (BandHelper) configured to send MIDI to the X32 to start and stop recording to the SD card at the start and end of each song, respectively.

Just to emphasize a point about the brilliance of this feature: the multitrack recordings are the digitized incoming streams from each input to the board, before they hit any channel, effect, or mix processing (uber-pre-fader, and I think pre-trim as well). So once you've got such a recording you can easily experiment with all sorts of mix and processing ideas, whether channel, FX, or overall mix.

Gotcha. Appreciate the detailed reply!

Looks like we'll go Yamaha. We're splitting it three ways so I'm taking brand opinions of others in to account here.

So follow-up question: suggestions on the router to buy to use with this, live?

Can I go super company TP-Link like this: https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-SFT1200-Secure-Travel-Router/dp/B09N72FMH5/ref=sr_1_3
I mix on a TF3 and it's a nice mixer! A lot of usable features. If the UI is anything like the console it's fairly simple to use once you get use to the layers. You seemed to be interested in multi track recording and playback, you might want to check if that's possible on the TF rack.

As to a Router I went with a Netgear R6230 and haven't had any issues! A bit larger than the one you are looking at but looks to be that same performance. I velcroed it under the rack unit that resides in arack bag and haven't had any issues. Played a room last year with 100 plus and no drops sitting about 80' from the unit!

Looks like we'll go Yamaha. We're splitting it three ways so I'm taking brand opinions of others in to account here.
A service we used years ago had Yamaha, I think 01V as mixer. Powerful sound, seems like Yamaha products target is a well balanced and all-rounded product.
CQ18T user update: the user interface is very good, one push of a button and you reach every parameters or menu needed. The cost is less options: the channel eq is 3 band plus HI-low cut (all tweakable), you can't add band. But there are additional dynamic/static filters in output channels. The channel strip is fixed (but there are 4 fx you can insert), I miss the blocks matrix concept. The fx are time based (delay, verbs and chorus), I would like a bit of overdrive/clipping. Wifi is included, haven't used it yet.

Please elaborate. What problems did you have with Behringer X32 rack?
We were having very strange leaking problem between channels, those were intermittent. Also, sometimes, a channel was not working (intermittent too) we would have to rapidly wipe the virtual fader from 0 to 100% to make the channel work.

And other strange behaviors I don't remember.

FWIW I have had my XR18 for EVER and really can't believe they haven't updated much. Was easy and reliable for several bands of mine as well as for when I would run sound for some friends' bands. For the last 4 years has been the main interface of my home studio (sorry..just my "studio" or "music room") in two different houses. I used to keep my old iPad around just to run the mixing app but realized that my Mac Studio can handle being on ethernet for internet and wifi to the XR18 so less need for that.

I was always looking at the options for future band endeavors but somehow missed the Yamaha stuff.

I haven’t read every post on this thread. Apologies if I’m recycling info.
I love Yamaha stuff and own a boatload of their gear. I’m sure the TF line is probably excellent as is the majority of what they make. Your band certainly won’t suffer with the TF stuff.

I own the X32 Rack and have used it for years as our live rig. (I have a Behringer Wing in the studio - the Wing and X32 share peripherals like stage box, distribution, etc.).

What I love about the Behringer stuff are the add-ons and connectivity of components down the line. For instance, the Powerplay distribution system and the P16M personal mixers: If your band uses, or will ever use, IEM’s, the Powerplay distribution system is the best bang for the buck I’ve found. It’s mind blowing how good it is for the money. OTOH, I believe the Yamaha TF requires an Aviom card and the far more expensive Aviom equipment. For comparison, by the time you purchase the Aviom card and the signal splitter alone, you could have outfitted the entire band with the whole shebang including P16M personal mixers.

If you needed to add a stage box, the DL16 input stage box from Midas is roughly half the cost of the Yamaha 1608. You could have 32 Midas preamps for the price of 16 from Yamaha.

I’ve found the X32 Rack to be a fantastic live mixer. The preamps are great, the effects are fantastic and the routing is as easy or as complicated as you need it to be. I’m seeing more and more live venues using the X32 rack which leads to another advantage if you ever play a venue with the X32 - you can bring your entire show with you on a USB thumb drive. I’m sure you can do the same with the Yamaha but the chances of encountering an X32 are probably greater.

100 plus gigs with the UI24 here.
Pros:
Wifi is solid and running everything through a browser is awesome.
Everyone mixes their IEM with their phones. Works great.
Reverb and delay are good.
Lot of options and easy to use.
Very small, light and portable.

Cons:
Been struggling with feedback for a couple of gigs until I got some tip on the forum --> Don't overuse compressor make up gain.
Doesn't work well for some reason

I don't think I can go back to analog.
The ability of soundchecking in 2 mins (just loading a loading a snapshot we have for that venue) in places where we've been many times is incredible.

XR18 here. I really like the power play and ultranet functionality on paper. In reality we have had a LOT of problems with it and I’m not too happy about being “locked in” to this system financially. Over the last 4 years, 2 out of 6 P16m units have failed. 2 channels of our P16D stopped working. Before we grabbed the xr18 our P16-I had issues on a few inputs. I’ve noticed that the P16m units really color your sound. My guitar tone sounds radically different compared to just using headphones directly to the FM3. Even after a factory reset.

Thankfully the xr18 has been fine so far. Just waiting for our bass player to pony up for some wireless IEMs so we can ditch the ultranet stuff and reevaluate.

I have the X32 producer and it is a solid unit. I love the routing, mic preamps, and the eq. The rta is icing on the cake.

The only downside is it output sample rate is only 44.1 KHZ or 48 KHZ. I wish it had 96 KHZ for those projects that were completed in that format.

I have the X32 producer and it is a solid unit. I love the routing, mic preamps, and the eq. The rta is icing on the cake.

The only downside is it output sample rate is only 44.1 KHZ or 48 KHZ. I wish it had 96 KHZ for those projects that were completed in that format.
TH CQ series has 48/96. I wonder who the hell has 96k projects. Now I know!!! :)

We were having very strange leaking problem between channels, those were intermittent. Also, sometimes, a channel was not working (intermittent too) we would have to rapidly wipe the virtual fader from 0 to 100% to make the channel work.

And other strange behaviors I don't remember.
That's interesting. The only thing I'll say is - if your router is just 'ok', the app will sometimes show a view (like a channel muted or not muted), but it isn't actually the case. Or the fader position on the app was not where it was on the 'console'. It was simply that we had an unstable connection and needed a better router.

I had some 'leaking' of aux into my main mix once - and it was a setting I had (never set), but was causing it. I can't remember what it was. But in my case, any issues are a result of user error.

I mean, anything can break or malfunction, but my X32 racks have been super stable and I could not be happier.

I really like the soundcraft ui24. The onboard WiFi can get sketchy when 100+ phones show up after soundcheck. But with an outboard router it is a great sounding and a solid performing mixer. The built in fx are useable, but are their weakest point to me personally.
I totally agree. I'd say no matter what brand, do not rely on the built in WAP - they all kinda suck. Besides the MR18, I also have a UI24R - its great too. I hate the way the effects have to be routed in the MR18, but if you can use the ultranet, it is definitely cool. The other nice thing about the UI24R is you can connect a touch panel monitor to it directly as a control interface.

I can't tell why that's worth several hundred dollars more than the identical looking XR-18 from Behringer? :D
With the way Uli puts tech from the "better" lines into the Behringer products, its really hard to say. Supposedly the connectors are better in the MR, and when I bought it, there was only $100 price difference, so I went with Midas. Practically, there might not be any difference. There used to be a guy on YouTube that would take the different lines apart to show the differences, and there were some, but hard to say if it is worth the extra $$$...

Back
Top Bottom