Behringer FCV100 - really struggling to get this setup

eoinlandy

Hi,
I'm using Axe Ultra 8.02
Just bought an FCV100 expression pedal to use as a wah pedal.
Am really struggling to get it to work.
What I've managed so far.

set to CV
ran a guitar cable from input 2 to pedal 1 at back of axe.
Battery light shows on
In I/O > CTRL set External 1 to pedal 1 (I tried hitting Enter to auto-learn but LEARNING just appears and sits there forever)
I did the pedal calib from the pedal menu, hitting enter and running it through the sweep as it says.
According to the manual to control a parameter you need to set-up a modifier. To do so you apparently hit Enter and select Exp1 for example. However if I hit Enter with the wah selected from the edit screen it disconnects it from the chain !!

Anyone own this pedal and can give me a step by step instruction guide on getting it to run a wah in axe-fx. Sorry to appear so dim, but at times this axe-fx is so confusing.

Cheers.

I don't own this pedal but according to the manual, "in 'CV' mode the FCV100 can control modulation and volume levels of other musical instruments by connecting OUTPUT 2 to the volume or modulation input of the instrument." You may also need to use a TRS-TRS cable (not a guitar cord).

Thanks,
yep have seen that diagram in the manual.

The manual mentions that in normal mode you can use a TS connection with output 1. I've now tried all these.

Still having problems.

Anyone out there who owns this pedal can help with the setup ?

Okay, it's possible that the control voltage (CV) that the pedal is sending on OUTPUT 2 in "CV mode" might be reversed-polarity, or the wrong levels.

Here's another thing you can try. This is a trick that can turn volume pedals into expression pedals.

Use an insert cable (picture, below) to connect the FCV100 to the Axe-Fx.

Insert the TRS plug into the Axe-Fx's PEDAL1 jack.

Then, insert both the Tip and Ring plugs into the FCV100. Connect Tip to INPUT 1, and connect Ring to OUTPUT 1.

See if that works. If not, try reversing the Tip and Ring plugs.

Typical Insert Cable
HosaSTP204.png

ok, so I've bought my insert cable. Got as far as getting the axe to learn that it is connected. (by connecting it to pedal jack#2)
Have tried various combinations of ring, tip to in out 1 & 2, using CV mode and normal mode but I can't get it to calibrate properly. The 'dot' doesn't move through range and depending on what is either fully on, at top, or fully off, at bottom of the line.
Spent about 3 hours doing this.

Anyone who owns this pedal give me some help ??

I sincerely hope it's not suggested that I have to solder or mod anything in the pedal. The FCV100 was on the wiki as one of the suggested expression pedals and I don't own soldering kit.

I am extremely puzzled why this manual does not mention the word expression anywhere. It's talking about "CV controller", not "expression pedal" which is needed to control the Axe. An expression pedal is nothing more than a 50k linear volume pot in a pedal, no electronics necessary. It controls by resistance, not by sending volts. This one definitely includes way more electronics. Maybe it's geared towards older organs that used other technology to control volume, since nowadays I believe they all use expression pedals?

Turn to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/Gate
CV controller is an older technology and not the same as expression pedal.
I am more and more convinced that this pedal is not suitable and should definitely not be in the Wiki.

The wiki is maintained by users, no involvement from Fractal whatsoever. I'm quite sure the people who made that list did not investigate that pedal in depth. It looks like it might be the right thing, but I'm getting mighty sure it isn't.
If you have the resources go for the M-Audio EX-P, it includes a 6ft trs cable, reported to work fine, you can search for it. Or in europe get a lead foot from thomann, the lfx, not the lfv. I don't think these would be of less quality than the Roland Boss EV-5 that I have.

ALSO, to set the modifier, you select the wah in the chain then press EDIT. Select the FREQ dial and press enter. Choose the appropriate controller and go from there.

I took a look through the manual. It's a little confusing and I don't have one of these pedals to test, but try this, take your insert cable and plug one mono end into input 1 and the other mono end into output 1. Plug the stereo end into the expression input of the axe. Make sure the slider switch on the pedal is set to norm. Run through the calibration again and see if it works.

I agree with Dutch that the CV mode is intended for certain, usually older, type of keyboards and may not work with an expression input at all. Using the norm mode may bypass the electronics and make the pedal work as a regular volume pedal in which case the the configuration above may work but I can't say for sure. Hopefully it will work. If not and you need an expression pedal the Mission pedals are designed specifically to work with the Axe. http://www.mission-engineering.com. James.

The manual says as much that the volume is buffered. If the above does work I'll edit the wiki page for it, for now I've changed the line on the FCV100.

If you want the best go for the Mission indeed.
But I found this price for the M-Audio:
http://www.jr.com/maudio/pe/MIM_PEDAL/

Don't mind the review, if the thing was out of warranty it was at least a year old. With a pro's usage that should last an amateur 3 years. You could buy 4 of these for one Boss. Time to look around by that time. Anyway, pro's shouldn't rely on budget gear. I've found a couple more positive reviews too.

I own a couple of these pedals and they work fine with my AXE
The process you've explained in your first post is 100% correct except for the cable, you need a TRS cable in the Outpu2.
They are plugged into the back of an AllAccess floorboard in CV mode and even didn't need any calibration
A TRS cable in Output2 of the pedal to Axe or to your pedalboard is all you need.
Perhaps there is something wrong with YOUR pedal
This very cheap pedal solve me a loooong trip through Boss, Yamaha, Alesis and Roland pedals I've tested without results.
Ciao

Angelo

Edit: I imagine that you have checked the position of the Min volume pot to be at 0

I own a couple of these pedals and they work fine with my AXE
The process you've explained in your first post is 100% correct except for the cable, you need a TRS cable in the Outpu2.
They are plugged into the back of an AllAccess floorboard in CV mode and even didn't need any calibration
A TRS cable in Output2 of the pedal to Axe or to your pedalboard is all you need.
Perhaps there is something wrong with YOUR pedal
This very cheap pedal solve me a loooong trip through Boss, Yamaha, Alesis and Roland pedals I've tested without results.
Ciao

Angelo

Edit: I imagine that you have checked the position of the Min volume pot to be at 0

hi Angelo, does it work in CV mode without battery too? have you ever tried it plugged into a mfc101 mk2?

thanks...

Back
Top Bottom